Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, after my experience yesterday, I decided that I need to get this straightened out or return the phone. Called the CS people and after a surprisingly short wait on hold was told that they don't have the docs and I need to go to a store and have them look at it. "The store has hands-on experience." They did admit that they had several reports of this problem. Had to go out anyway, so I figured what the hell.

Go to the larger of the three stores in Omaha and finally get them to take it back to the tech on duty. They disappear for 15" and then ask if they can have it for a while to poke at it. I took the spousal unit to lunch and came back. After another 30" or so, a guy comes out on his cell phone and hands me the PPC back. He asks if I know how to do a soft reset. I suppressed the urge to laugh in his face and told him, "Yes, indeed I do". He said try a soft reset in a half an hour and see if that helps. Said they re-provisioned the phone. I did so but, of course, haven't yet had the beep. Who knows when it will return; but, boys and girls, we DO know it will come back don't we?

The upshot is that this guy (as opposed to the initial wonk) did extend my evaluation period to the end of December to give me time to try to rectify this problem. So the pressure is off to a degree. I have some more time to work on it now.

Maybe, just maybe, SPCS or the manufacturer ( Audiovox/HTC/iMate) will come up wih a ROM update that will help us all out here. I did email iMate/Carrier Devices and the Club iMate people to see if we could get some support there as well.

I would like to solve this issue as the device is just great aside from this one problem. No more lugging the laptop for me with the PPC in tow.

Bob Duckworth

P.S. T650 in stock and on display at this store. A couple was looking at it. I was good and did not advise them on the device and problems. Restraint, must restrain self . . .
    I am clueless as what to do?????? I cant belive I have a 600 buck phone and can't talk on it without a beep...............there is not another device I want but this one...
  3.    #3  
    Well, I agree. However, I believe we can beat this and save this device. Start documenting the state of youir device when the beep happens: data state, inbound versus outbound, how dialed; speed dial, voice command, call log, contacts, etc.

I have a sneaky feeling this is Vision related.

Please report here and we will try to beat this.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
  4.    #4  
    Also, if you can remember to do so, check your memory function BEFORE ending the 'beep' call to try and see what programs are running.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Is everyone having this problem or is it sporatic? Maybe I should cancel my order?!?!
  6.    #6  
    Seems a lot of us with SPCS are having this issue. It is very sporadic.

Bob Duckworth
    It really sounds like only a small handful of people have this issue. The same people are posting on several forums, looking for the solution.

I think those few people should return their units as defective and see if they get the same results with the new one.

None of the Verizon XV6600 users have reported this problems. And it seems that only SPCS customers with the BC are getting the beep.

Bob, have you tried swapping it out for a different one? That would be one of my first steps.
  8.    #8  
    Not yet, I think Hobbes is on his second unit with the same problem.

I may go that route yet, just haven't had the time so far. It would be nice to hear from more Verizon users though.

Bob
    It seems the VZN is not having this problem. I wonder if it is the SPCS software. Is it possible to download drivers from the XV6600 or activate an XV6600 on the SPCS network?
  10.    #10  
    Don't know. I would suspect that there might be some difficulty with either approach as there are likely to be differences in either network OS for the cellular radio. It might be possible.

I just checked the AudioVox web page and cannot find any pertinent software changes for this device. On the upside, I finally did get SPCS CS to upgrade my PRL for what that's worth.

My current state w/ respect to the SPCS cell system is PRL 10025, GPS Location Services - OFF, Voice Privacy - OFF, Voice Privacy Notification - OFF.

Now I don't hold any real hope for these changes, but why not try.

Going to look for Verizon BBS systems where we might be able to ask early adopters of their 6600 about their experiences.

Bob Duckworth
  11.    #11  
    It would seem that the early word from Verizon users is that they are "beep of death" free so far:

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=38939

and other verizon threads.

Time will tell more.

Bob Duckworth
    I agree, Bob. I think the beep problem is a Sprint PCS issue. I have spoken to at least a dozen XV6600 owners who have spent hours on their new phone and NO, zero, nada beeps. Plus, they have EV-DO speeds in some areas. How cool is that?

Now, if only I knew the different in Sprint and Verizon national coverage, and their service quality in Atlanta, GA. Anyone know?
  13.    #13  
    Verizon probably has better national coverage and better ATL coverage. I may well jump too. No EVDO where I live yet but lots of cities that I travel to have EVDO coverage in place now.

Bob
    I sent a very detailed review of the beeping issue with several thread links for other's input to my Sprint National Sales Manger contact. He forwarded it onto high level support and found that no one has started a claim for the problem yet in their tech system. One is now started. I was asked if they can call me if necessary to review the issue so they can address right away.

So the fix for it is now at least confirmed in process. I will let you know if I hear anything concerning a patch or fix.

But I do agree with a comment on another thread that the beep is a minority of 6601 users.
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    Not yet, I think Hobbes is on his second unit with the same problem.

I may go that route yet, just haven't had the time so far. It would be nice to hear from more Verizon users though.

Bob
    That is correct....but the key is on my first phone it only happenned once in 100-150 calls.

On my second phone, it happens like once every 15-20 calls.

Wierd...there is not much of a doubt that it is software and now that a Sprint is onto the problem, let's hope it is short lived.

I will tell you though the power of forums is real. That was a major force to help Sprint realize I was not an isolated case and that, despite how limited, it is a user base issue.
  16.    #16  
    I also emailed AudioVox. They responded that engineering said that this is not an issue. I responded with 5 url's to this problem on various boards. We'll see. SPCS is likely to light a fire IF they think this is a real issue and Hobbes may well be the guy thats gets their attention.

Thanks, Hobbes.

Bob Duckworth
    get a new one..& keep exchanging it until you get one that doesn't beep or when after a ton of exchanges they finally decide to fix it!...... puleez!
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    I also emailed AudioVox. They responded that engineering said that this is not an issue. I responded with 5 url's to this problem on various boards. We'll see. SPCS is likely to light a fire IF they think this is a real issue and Hobbes may well be the guy thats gets their attention.

Thanks, Hobbes.

Bob Duckworth
    Bob.....could you hit reply to the email that AudioVox sent you....then select all the text (including the email header) and copy it into an IM through this board.

I will then reply to that email with forwarding the information I gave to Sprint and to let them know that they are investigating this issue.

Maybe that might jumpstart their concern on this issue on their end as well.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    get a new one..& keep exchanging it until you get one that doesn't beep or when after a ton of exchanges they finally decide to fix it!...... puleez!
    There is no doubt that will get their attention....though believe it or not I am more optimisitic than not that they will address this issue in the short term. We are still in the yelling at everyone until they listen stage....and they just started to take notice.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 12/09/2004 at 08:20 PM.
  19.    #19  
    Hobbes: Done. Sent as a private email to you via TC.

Let me know if it doesn't work out, I can send a regular email to you.

Bob

P.S. You may wish to edit some of the less-than-flattering comments about SPCS.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969

Johnski: I don't quite understand you message. Have I irritated you?

I'll be happy to sign off this topic once they fix the problem or manage to send me a return kit which seems to be T/U as well for now.

Bob
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast