Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bob,

I got the contact from the long forum at www.pdaphonehome.com, where you have discussed the beep issue. I think I found that group through your links. Anyway, there is a VZN business rep on there named Cheryl. I sent her an email and she called me immediately, and 10 minutes later my phone was on the way. I got an incredible deal on the price and accessories, too. The heading is something like "How can I get an XV6600 today" or very similar to that and it should be at the top of the page.

If you want one of these today, she can have it to you by Tuesday morning.

I spent hours on the telephone with various VZN telesales, business sales, b2b, etc, and hit a brick wall every time I tried to get one. It seems since the inventory is very low right now, they are reserving their stock only for elite corporate loyalty accounts to make sure they get their hands on it first as payback for their great business. Well, it also seems there are ways around this, but only a small handful of b2b reps know about it. If you are not in her area (which is VERY broad), she will find you a rep in your area to help you. Now, the choice is yours.

Hobbes: You are right about the wi-fi. I am truly a wi-fi junky, so I will likely get a card to take with me when I go places that are out of the EV-DO area. I will probably use a combination of both. Since most of my life is spent in my home area, the EV-DO will likely get more use, but if I am other places, or just for the nostaligic thrill, I know I will pop in the wi-fi, sniff out a signal, and surf away. Once a sniffer, always a sniffer.

I will update you guys (I think you are guys) on Tuesday; think I will be "working" from home on that day now.
  2.    #42  
    Rbright:

I talked to Cheryl yesterday and she got a local rep to call me. The local gal was clueless as to the 6600 so I told her to email Cheryl back and I would call her Monday. I have three phones to port over and a big SPCS plan to match. The local rep did give me a quote on the plan that was roughly equivalent to what I now pay SPCS. If she can find the phone for me I may jump too. The company I work for has a deal with VZN, but the contact that could tell me about it wasn't in today. Awaiting her call back Monday as well. There are rumors that VZN is giving decent (150 - 200 bucks) discounts to those willing to sign up for two years of their unlimited data plan at about $50/month.

ASIDE: Another board reports that VZN and SPCS were reported by "The Times" to have had unofficial merger conversations this past week. WTF??!! Is everybody looking to acquire or be acquired these days??

Let us know what you think Tuesday once its in your hands and you hav had some "work" time to use it.

Thanks,

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    Rbright:

ASIDE: Another board reports that VZN and SPCS were reported by "The Times" to have had unofficial merger conversations this past week. WTF??!! Is everybody looking to acquire or be acquired these days?
    Actually it is Sprint trying to buy Nextel, but VZ has jumped in and tried to take Sprint's place in the deal. It is still up in the air and who nows where the pieces will fall when all is said and done.

A Sprint / VZ merger would bring a pretty holeless coverage for the entire US, but would wipe any competition for the CDMA network......which, competition is always a vital element in producing low prices and better packages for the customer.

Either way we could hear about a final signing of a Sprint / Nextel merger by this Friday. If this happens it appears that Sprint will be the lead in the deal and absorb Nextel.
  4.    #44  
    Why would either SPCS or VZN want Nextel? I admit I don't understand the dynamics of the wireless business, but it just seems to be a wasted merger.

Bob Duckworth
    Why would either SPCS or VZN want Nextel? I admit I don't understand the dynamics of the wireless business, but it just seems to be a wasted merger.

Bob Duckworth
    Customer base is the primary reason. Not only does nextel have a comprehensive customer base, but they also pay the highest per device bills in the industry-by far.

That is why nextel is appealing.
    -rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  6.    #46  
    Hmmm . . . Creative mergers 101:

"from the ny times
    Quote:

While a Sprint-Nextel deal remains the most likely combination, there is "the potential for Verizon also making a bid for Sprint, given that fit also makes a ton of sense," according to Scott Cleland, an analyst at the research firm Precursor.

Buying Sprint would vault Verizon back to the top of the industry. Verizon and Sprint use the same technology in their cellular networks, making it easier to merge the services "

Seems that our ever-watchful Uncle Sam would have to approve this. I can't see that happening - one huge CDMA carrier??

Bob Duckworth
    Last edited by rduckwor; 12/12/2004 at 01:09 PM.
    Hmmm . . . Creative mergers 101:

"from the ny times
    Quote:

While a Sprint-Nextel deal remains the most likely combination, there is "the potential for Verizon also making a bid for Sprint, given that fit also makes a ton of sense," according to Scott Cleland, an analyst at the research firm Precursor.

Buying Sprint would vault Verizon back to the top of the industry. Verizon and Sprint use the same technology in their cellular networks, making it easier to merge the services "

Seems that our ever-watchful Uncle Sam would have to approve this. I can't see that happening - one huge CDMA carrier??

Bob Duckworth

I would hate to see that happen. Being able to roam on VZs network for $5 is plenty good for me.

I am not a Verizon fan at all. Wireless or landline.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123