Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been loyal to treo since the 300 and now on my 8th t600. is pocket pc a more stable platform than the treos?

but my main reason to switch would be for windows media player. so many websites I visit only stream in wmp or real. will microsoft make wmp available for palm?
    historically, MS has been very unstable and hard to use. Lots of BSOD issues and the like. Have played with the latest version but not enough to be certain.

Reports on the 6601 are that it is a good PDA if you dont mind having to use the stylus much of the time, but a horrible phone.
    I've had the 6601 for two weeks now, and I have to defend its performance as a phone. Sound quality on both ends is much better than my Treo 600, and Voice Command works remarkably well. It doesn't look like a phone, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

As for one-handed operation, the Treo does have an advantage, but not by much. The 6601 has 6 programmable buttons, plus the five-way d-pad.

This baby also handles bluetooth Copilot GPS beautifully. I also like the 128 mb of memory. I'm finally down to carrying a single device. I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    historically, MS has been very unstable and hard to use. Lots of BSOD issues and the like. Have played with the latest version but not enough to be certain.

Reports on the 6601 are that it is a good PDA if you dont mind having to use the stylus much of the time, but a horrible phone.

Horrible phone?
    You must be crazy. The ppc6601 is a surperb phone. It feels very confortable as a phone and the speaker phone is reported be much clear than the 650.
    How about to your ear? On paper, the PPC6001 is (
    Quote Originally Posted by ardint
    Gotta luv them TREO 600 discos...
    Quote Originally Posted by leebuchanan
    I've had the 6601 for two weeks now, and I have to defend its performance as a phone. Sound quality on both ends is much better than my Treo 600, and Voice Command works remarkably well. It doesn't look like a phone, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

As for one-handed operation, the Treo does have an advantage, but not by much. The 6601 has 6 programmable buttons, plus the five-way d-pad.

This baby also handles bluetooth Copilot GPS beautifully. I also like the 128 mb of memory. I'm finally down to carrying a single device. I love it.
    I agree. I have had the PDA2k (gsm version of the 6601) for 5 weeks. Still loving it. I like it better as a "phone" than my Treo600.

I use ~5000 minutes of phone per month on this thing... So yes, you can say I have experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    I use ~5000 minutes of phone per month
    Yikes!

I use about 20...

[never could figure out WHAT people are doing SO MUCH TALKING ABOUT on their cellphones...5000 minutes is probably WAY MORE than I'm in conversations with someone or other - TOTAL - HA HA HA!]
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Yikes!

I use about 20...

[never could figure out WHAT people are doing SO MUCH TALKING ABOUT on their cellphones...5000 minutes is probably WAY MORE than I'm in conversations with someone or other - TOTAL - HA HA HA!]
    Hehe, no doubt. I wish I could blowup all cellphones. Its 99% all work related mins.
    Quote Originally Posted by ardint

Yes I on ear is very comfortable. It may not look like it on pictures. But you have to try it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    I agree. I have had the PDA2k (gsm version of the 6601) for 5 weeks. Still loving it. I like it better as a "phone" than my Treo600.

I use ~5000 minutes of phone per month on this thing... So yes, you can say I have experience.

Yep Yep
    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Phreak
    I have been loyal to treo since the 300 and now on my 8th t600. is pocket pc a more stable platform than the treos?

but my main reason to switch would be for windows media player. so many websites I visit only stream in wmp or real. will microsoft make wmp available for palm?
    I have a Treo 300, a Treo 600, and a Samsung i700 PPC.

My collegue has a Treo 650, and i've played with it for about 5 hours.

As soon as the PPC-6600 comes out for my carrier, I will order it.

Both OS's have their strengths and weaknesses. The 650 is a great phone, but I do feel that PALM OS is geting a little long in the tooth while PPC is maturing quickly (especially with Pocket PC 2003). It is a miniature version of Windows XP, for better or worse.

Application development seems to be slowing a bit for PALM OS, while PPC progs are ramping up.

So, while I still think the Treo is probably CURRENTLY the best single-unit device out there, I think the absorption of Handspring into P1 (a company not known for pushing the envelope) means that the PPC is the phone OS of the future. This memory blunder sort of solidified my suspicions when Handspring was bought out. And, of course, the customer service and shipping delays that people had when ordering straight from P1 reminded me of the old days of horrid PALM Customer (dis)Service.

Thus, if I am going to license programs and buy accessories, I might as well look toward the future.

PPC is stable. At least as stable as PALM OS. They both require a reset every now and then, but PALM seems to need it just a little more often. Obviously, this depends a great deal on which programs you are running.
    Fair enough. I'm going with the 650 for now because I'm not a huge fan of Pocket PC (although my friend loves her device). You raise a valid point about both OS's but I'll add that while Palm PC software might be ramping up, we both know that the life expectancy of any cell phone you are using is at most 18 or so months - less if you are a power user/early adopter. So, if you already have a lot invested in Palm's OS (software, etc) you might wait one more "cycle" to see where the market leads.
    Quote Originally Posted by SamCraig
    Fair enough. I'm going with the 650 for now because I'm not a huge fan of Pocket PC (although my friend loves her device). You raise a valid point about both OS's but I'll add that while Palm PC software might be ramping up, we both know that the life expectancy of any cell phone you are using is at most 18 or so months - less if you are a power user/early adopter. So, if you already have a lot invested in Palm's OS (software, etc) you might wait one more "cycle" to see where the market leads.

You do know about the huge memory issue about the tre650 right?
    You will be limited in memory if you are a power user.
    Also it has a 3-4 second lagg between applications.
    If you can deal with that, than your ready to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by SamCraig
    we both know that the life expectancy of any cell phone you are using is at most 18 or so months - less if you are a power user/early adopter. So, if you already have a lot invested in Palm's OS (software, etc) you might wait one more "cycle" to see where the market leads.
    I agree with you here. I will keep the Treo 600 on one line until the internal battery gives out to maximize my Palm OS software investments (which the 650 will not be able to hold without Zlauncher).

However, investing in PPC software now should trancend phones over the years, especially if you get to pay the "upgrade" price for the software.

For instance, many programs for the 600 I have now, were originally bought for the Treo 300 (Snappermail, Verichat, etc). So, even though I changed phones, I kept the software.

For all NEW programs that I buy, at this point, I think the Pocket PC software will be a better investment. I think it is the more viable platform at this point, but I could be wrong.

As processor speeds reach over 400Mhz, and internal memory exceeds 128Mb, we are really headed toward the cellphone as being a miniature laptop computer now. Heck, my I700 is more powerful and has more memory than my desktop PC was 5 years ago.

The necessity of Palm OS ... small, lightweight, and efficient on low-power devices, is becoming less necessary.

Even P1 is exploring alternative OS's, because I just don't know how much more they can do to Palm OS, without it becoming a multi-tasking, windows-like OS.

And since such an OS already exists (Pocket PC), P1 will likely license it instead of reinventing the wheel by asking Palm Source to make Palm OS more windows-like.

Thus, I do think PPC is the platform of the future.

If they prove me wrong, they prove me wrong ... but you take a look a what 's going on, look at history, and play the odds.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodNamesRTaken
    As processor speeds reach over 400Mhz, and internal memory exceeds 128Mb, we are really headed toward the cellphone as being a miniature laptop computer now. Heck, my I700 is more powerful and has more memory than my desktop PC was 5 years ago.

The necessity of Palm OS ... small, lightweight, and efficient on low-power devices, is becoming less necessary.

Even P1 is exploring alternative OS's, because I just don't know how much more they can do to Palm OS, without it becoming a multi-tasking, windows-like OS.

And since such an OS already exists (Pocket PC), P1 will likely license it instead of reinventing the wheel by asking Palm Source to make Palm OS more windows-like.
    That's what Palm OS 6 is for. Palm may be late to the modernized OS game but they're almost there.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV
    That's what Palm OS 6 is for. Palm may be late to the modernized OS game but they're almost there.
    Possibly, we're not sure yet.

However, this is the first year since the invention of PDA's that the PALM OS market share has fallen below 50%, and it declines a little more each year.

Once you lose market share, it's hard to make it back up.

Will OS6 reverse the trend? Well, we'll have to see.

But it will have to be a fairly major re-write, and offer things that the Pocket PC OS does not already offer.

If OS6 merely offers what PPC already does, there will be little point.

The Linux concept is also interesting, but as we've all seen, about 90% of the world is content with Windows on their desktop, and there is no reason to think they will be dissatisfied when the OS they know is on their phone.

Me? I'm an avid Linux user and I use Windows as a last resort. But i'm the exception rather than the rule.

It took me a long time to get a PPC phone, and I though I would hate it (but did not hate it).

There is something to be said for being able to have multiple applications open at the same time, instead of having to close one to move to the other.

PPC is a step ahead right now with multi-tasking ... and that may be where the "power users" find refuge, while the simplicity of the Palm OS may be more attractive to Joe and Jane soccermom. Not that this is a bad thing.
    Actually, I have NEVER seen a BSOD on a PPC device. BSOD was something that came up with Windows 9X and NT.

I have had to do a soft reset at times on my PPC, and once a hard reset. But my Treo occasionally resets itself when using Blazer.
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyen23464
    Also it has a 3-4 second lagg between applications...
    That is completely untrue.
    I have no such lag with my phone and switching any apps.
    Right....but, Cobalt won't make it to the Treos for at least another 2 years. OS 6.0 was just plain crap. Then OS 6.1 was everything 6.0 should have been. There's no reason for palmOne to put an unstable OS on their next smartphone, which should be more reliable than most other PDAs, unless of course they decide to add Wi-Fi and Bluetooth v1.2, which probably won't happen. Hopefully, though, Sprint/Verizon will have EV-DO available to the masses, which would lessen the need for Wi-Fi, but destroy the GREAT VoIP advantages. In my opinion, the carriers are ruining everything palmOne had going for them.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast