Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Yikes!

I use about 20...

[never could figure out WHAT people are doing SO MUCH TALKING ABOUT on their cellphones...5000 minutes is probably WAY MORE than I'm in conversations with someone or other - TOTAL - HA HA HA!]
    Must be a record low for a member of this board Thanks for contributing so much despite the fact that you have no first-hand experience with what we talk about here.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodNamesRTaken
    But it will have to be a fairly major re-write...
    It is, and it's from the BeOS crowd, which was muy impressive. I can't speak about marketshare (haven't been following it) or about specific details on OS 6, but BeOS's multimedia capabilities were stellar. I think there was a story somewhere about an Intel engineer seeing it demonstrated and saying "I didn't think our chips could do that!"

Will this rub off on OS 6? Who knows. May be apples and oranges. Since I'm already invested in the Palm platform, I'm willing to wait and see.
    I never understand why these threads exist since when I leave a product line, I just leave -- no swan song. Oh well, I'll feed it anyway.

I've been using Palms since 1997 and also considering PPC for the first time for a few reasons:

1. Wireless Sync at VZW is very cool in that it allows you to sync your PIM data with multiple devices. When my Treo 600 dies, I just get my old Kyocera 7135, sync up, and pop in my SD card where most of my programs reside and run w/PowerRun. When my replacement Treo arrives, I do the same.

As long as PPC6601 is supported by Wireless Sync, I should be able to get my PIM and mail data loaded cleanly. Of course I'll need to purchase new PPC software but after spending a few hours on the web, I've found that most of my most important Palm software has PPC equivalents and many are superior. Some products are built-in (e.g. MS Office support).

2. EV-DO support and rumored data plans. I can use the faster speed and don't know if I want to wait for Treo XXX with EV-DO support.

3. The PPC6601 is supports SD cards and I have a lot of them (about 6 GB worth)

The downsides are -
    1. Battery life appears to be much less.
    2. It is an ugly brick.

I'll probably give it a try and if it is not too distracting in my business meetings, I may keep it. I can always grab the next EV-DO Palm device when VZW finally releases it.
    Don't forget that the ppc6601 is larger and heavier than the Treo 650. According to my calculations based on publised specs, the PPC6601 is:

- 12.7 mm longer (+11%)
    - 11.4 mm wider (+20%)
    - 4.1 mm thinner (-22%)
    - 30 g heavier (+17%)

than the 650.
    Last edited by silverado; 11/27/2004 at 03:14 PM.
    It's not built into ROM, but the Treo 650 is bundled with Documents to Go (MS Office support).
    As far as 6601 working as a phone, check out the discussion over at Howard Forums. There are several threads, including one in the Sprint Forum were people are complaining about how hard it is to use as a phone. I have not tried it yet, but I intend to play with one before I have to decide to keep my 650 (when it comes!) or send it back
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Don't forget that the ppc6601 is larger and heavier than the Treo 650. According to my calculations based on publised specs, the PPC6601 is:

- 127 mm longer (+11%)
    - 114 mm wider (+20%)
    - 41 mm thinner (-22%)
    - 30 g heavier (+17%)

than the 650.
    Did you perhaps mean:
    12.7 mm longer ( 0.5 inch)
    11.4 mm wider ( 0.45 inch)
    4.1 mm thinner? ( 0.16 inch)

The thing WOULD be a brick otherwise!
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    PPC has gone through how many OS revs since 1998? 6,7?

Palm has done 2, and they were all pretty minor. Palm version 3x is basically the b/w version of 5x.

And yes, there can be up to a 5 second lag when switching apps in the 600 (esp to web).

I have been tempted to go PPC, but the higher Vision cost and software cost (re-buying apps), plus form factor has kept me away.

Oh, and re: BeOS, that was the best OS ever made. Unbelievable.
    Too bad they didn't make it. It will take MS 10 years to get to parity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    Did you perhaps mean:
    12.7 mm longer ( 0.5 inch)
    11.4 mm wider ( 0.45 inch)
    4.1 mm thinner? ( 0.16 inch)

The thing WOULD be a brick otherwise!
    Oops... yes I did. Thanks for noticing, I'll correct the original.
    I am all for freedom of speech, but what does this thread have to do with the Treo 650? We have a bunch of people going to PPC and telling us why they hate Palmone/Palmsource so much. I appreciate your insights and criticisim, but again how does this relate to the Treo 650?

TC moderator, please start a new forum for such topics, and my I suggest the name, "Why Palm sucks and PPC rocks."
    Last edited by Rome; 11/27/2004 at 03:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    I am all for freedom of speech, but what does this thread have to do with the Treo 650? We have a bunch of people going to PPC and telling us why they hate Palmone/Palmsource so much. I appreciate your insights and criticisim, but again how does this related to the Treo 650?

TC moderator, please start a new forum for such topics, and my I suggest the name, "Why Palm sucks and PPC rocks."
    Hear, hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyen23464
    You do know about the huge memory issue about the tre650 right?
    You will be limited in memory if you are a power user.
    Also it has a 3-4 second lagg between applications.
    If you can deal with that, than your ready to go.
    I have a Treo 650 and I think I'm a fairly powerful user (have TuSSH to log into servers at work after all). I have plenty of memory and there is no 3-4 second lag between applications. That's just me though.

You know if you if you go to PPC there are huge usability issues like it taking 15 (exaggerating from another thread on TreoCentral) keypresses to look someone up in your contacts to make a phone call. You also know that any of them are bigger than the Treo - which my friends think is already big for a cell phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetux64
    It's not built into ROM, but the Treo 650 is bundled with Documents to Go (MS Office support).
    It is bundled, but a couple people I know with the device could not load the Office apps due to (not to beat a horse ridden too hard) ... not enough memory.

Documents to go is a great application, but the last time I had it installed, it used a very generous amount of RAM, even on the regular filesystem.

Does anyone know how much it uses on the 650 device, and if you put it on the memory card will SnapperMail, etc still recognize it when attempting to open attachments?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    You know if you if you go to PPC there are huge usability issues like it taking 15 (exaggerating from another thread on TreoCentral) keypresses to look someone up in your contacts to make a phone call.
    I press 1 button, then say "Name Dial <name>".

90% of the time it gets it right.

99% of the time it gets my speed dial contact names right since I know how to say the names in the way that voice dial likes.

I don't even have to remove it from the case or look at the screen.

*shrug* It all depends on how you set it up I suppose.
    GNRT,
    It is clear that you've experienced both the positive and negatives of PPCs and Palms. Would you agree with this:

1. Older PPCs were indeed less intuitive. It did take a lot of taps just to do anything.

2. Older Palms were less powerful and had a lot of limitations. All files had to be converted (jpeg, xls, txt, etc.) to be used by the Palm.

3. Just like those who are in the PPC camp refuse to recognize the power of Palms, die-hard Palm enthusiasts (like me) find it hard to believe that PPCs have become more intuitive.

4. All in all, both devices have improved but PPCs are still too big for many and Palms have too many limitations for many.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodNamesRTaken
    I press 1 button, then say "Name Dial <name>".

90% of the time it gets it right.

99% of the time it gets my speed dial contact names right since I know how to say the names in the way that voice dial likes.

I don't even have to remove it from the case or look at the screen.

*shrug* It all depends on how you set it up I suppose.
    I suppose if you are good with the voice dial that's a good solution. From what I read though it's a lot of running around to dial it any other way.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I suppose if you are good with the voice dial that's a good solution. From what I read though it's a lot of running around to dial it any other way.
    I dunno, i use the Treo 600 and a Pocket PC phone.

They are both pretty easy to dial from. Of coure, you know how to do it on the Treo. On Pocket PC, I tap 'contacts', tap the name, and it dials the number.

One is not a whole lot more difficult than the other, although without voice recognition (1 button dailing), it is a little easier to dial with one hand from the Treo.

With voice recognition, the PPC is a little easier to dial from.

I have yet to use Voice Recognition on the Treo 650, so it may be just as easy. Someone else would have to speak to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    GNRT,
    It is clear that you've experienced both the positive and negatives of PPCs and Palms. Would you agree with this:

1. Older PPCs were indeed less intuitive. It did take a lot of taps just to do anything.

2. Older Palms were less powerful and had a lot of limitations. All files had to be converted (jpeg, xls, txt, etc.) to be used by the Palm.

3. Just like those who are in the PPC camp refuse to recognize the power of Palms, die-hard Palm enthusiasts (like me) find it hard to believe that PPCs have become more intuitive.

4. All in all, both devices have improved but PPCs are still too big for many and Palms have too many limitations for many.
    Agree 100%. That's why I have both. I take the phone that suits my needs best for that particular day.

They both have strengths, they both have weaknesses.

Do you want a sportscar? Do you want an SUV? Is either better than the other or is it personal needs/preference?

That's the way I see Palm OS and PPC. Neither is better than the other. Merely different, and subject to personal preference.

Awesome platforms ... both of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Must be a record low for a member of this board Thanks for contributing so much despite the fact that you have no first-hand experience with what we talk about here.
    Awww...poor Kookums!

Were you feeling sorta empty?

Just hadn't gotten in a free shot recently or something?

Did that little totally-irrelevant personal attack do the trick?

Poor Kookums.

I DO feel for you!
    [moved]
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast