Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Click Here for the XDA
    its long but plenty of info. sorry for the previous bad link
    Last edited by g.711; 11/26/2004 at 02:40 PM.
    Link doesn't seem to work for me
    Is this the same as the PPC 6600? Will the 6600 have built-in wi-fi and 1.3MP camera? Somehow, I don't think this will be the Sprint model.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    Is this the same as the PPC 6600? Will the 6600 have built-in wi-fi and 1.3MP camera? Somehow, I don't think this will be the Sprint model.
    No, it's not. This is the GSM version of the MDAII upgrade (no thumboard, faster processor and 1.3MP camera) called the XDA IIi by Orange UK. They also have the XDA IIs which is the GSM version of the 660x (it's like the PDA2K, but a different color).
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    The IIi is actually an update of the earlier keyboard-less model, the XDA II. I don't think there are US versions of either of these. The keyboard version is the XDA IV. The XDA IV is the same phone. Other iterations are the MDA IV, which T-M is expected to get, and the Siemens X66 which I think Cingular is getting. They're all manufactured by Hi-Tech Computer (HTC) in Taiwan, the same company that makes T-M's current PPC phone, the "MDA I". I'd expect T-M's to be fully loaded for sure given what we've seen from them to date.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    The IIi is actually an update of the earlier keyboard-less model, the XDA II. I don't think there are US versions of either of these. The keyboard version is the XDA IV. The XDA IV is the same phone. Other iterations are the MDA IV, which T-M is expected to get, and the Siemens X66 which I think Cingular is getting. They're all manufactured by Hi-Tech Computer (HTC) in Taiwan, the same company that makes T-M's current PPC phone, the "MDA I". I'd expect T-M's to be fully loaded for sure given what we've seen from them to date.
    The ones with the keyboard are the XDA III reference design such as the PDA2K, SX-66, PPC-660x. It is rumored that the XDA IV (which has not been announced yet) will be similar to Orange's XDAIIi (GSM, 1.3MP camera, faster processor), but with a keyboard slider like the XDA III (it may also have Pocket PC 2005) and should be announced sometime in the first half of 05. I don't think that any US carrier will be offering the MDA IIi. They went right to the XDA III design.

Yes, HTC has made this a little confusing.
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Does anyone know why they have so so many names for the same product? It is stupid to me. Plus it really screws up forums and the ability to find answers and be confident it works.
    no keyboard? no thanks.

'smartext' or 'intellipad' are oxymorons. typing on one of those is like trying to pass a pineapple.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    Does anyone know why they have so so many names for the same product? It is stupid to me. Plus it really screws up forums and the ability to find answers and be confident it works.
    There are really only two versions of the phone: the GSM version and the CDMA version (and it appears that each can have the camera removed). HTC is the maker of all of them (and by the way, HTC also makes the Treo 650 for Palm1 and the iPaqs for HP), but HTC dosen't distribute any of them. HTC sells them to other companies for distribution, like Siemens, iMate and Audiovox or the service carrier themselves, like Orange in the UK. The phones are then re-branded by the different companies and sold under their name.

I agree, it would be much simpler if there was only one company distributing them worldwide.
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    The ones with the keyboard are the XDA III reference design such as the PDA2K, SX-66, PPC-660x. It is rumored that the XDA IV (which has not been announced yet) will be similar to Orange's XDAIIi (GSM, 1.3MP camera, faster processor), but with a keyboard slider like the XDA III (it may also have Pocket PC 2005) and should be announced sometime in the first half of 05. I don't think that any US carrier will be offering the MDA IIi. They went right to the XDA III design.

Yes, HTC has made this a little confusing.
    Thanks, yes, the IIIs were the first to have the slide-out keyboard; the T-M one has been out in Europe for 6 months so we're probably not going to see that one either. I'm guessing or hoping we'll see the IV in the US. Here's one announcement of the IV: http://cellphones.engadget.com/entry/3093445122366434/
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.