Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So far so good. I should mention that I do have the pdf of the user's manual and have scanned it twice and will print it today for detailed review, but have questions that you more advanced users probably have solved already.

1. USB charging: The device charges in its slot, how about the aux battery? That would be nice, but may be asking too much.

2. Web - How do you add favorites directly by entering the url somewere?

3. Anyone yet had problems getting the device to "remember" the screen brightness settings once its powered down?

4. What state do you leave the divice in as a "standby" during your day?

5. Test to see how long the TC staff will allow this thread to live.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    Howdy... Congrats on your 6601... I've had mine for 4 days now... :-)

1. No idea. No reason it shouldn't. Take your battery off the phone, and see if the 'aux' light comes one when you put it in the charger...

2. Fastest way for me is to add favorites to the 'mobile favorites' folder on your PC (not on the phone). They'll sync to the phone on the next activesync. Much faster than searching for sites on the PPC itself...

3. Doesn't seem to happen to me.

4. During the day it is in the charger, on all the time, bright backlight, with a deskclock screensaver (sbp). Out of the charger, it turns off in 1min, low backlight.

5. Counting down, 5...4...3...2..<blip!>

Smiles,

Ben
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1000
    Howdy... Congrats on your 6601... I've had mine for 4 days now... :-)

1. No idea. No reason it shouldn't. Take your battery off the phone, and see if the 'aux' light comes one when you put it in the charger...

2. Fastest way for me is to add favorites to the 'mobile favorites' folder on your PC (not on the phone). They'll sync to the phone on the next activesync. Much faster than searching for sites on the PPC itself...

3. Doesn't seem to happen to me.

4. During the day it is in the charger, on all the time, bright backlight, with a deskclock screensaver (sbp). Out of the charger, it turns off in 1min, low backlight.

5. Counting down, 5...4...3...2..<blip!>

Smiles,

Ben
    Great, I will give these a try. As for the Aux battry question, I should have been thinking instead of typing.

Thanks for the help.

Bob
    Keep the posts coming guys, there are those of us out here who have put off the 650 for now and are interested in how the alternatives work out.

I'm a anti-microsoft type of guy but I feel that I no longer fit Palms user type. I typically don't use contacts or the calendar and considered a non wireless PDA as useful as a door stop, I literally have no use for it.

I would like a handheld that is less an organizer and more a computer, with a real (at least more convential -- dir based not db based) file system, faster web surfing, multimedia capabilities and a phone. I've never used a PPC but I'm hoping this closer suits my needs.

Any of you experienced the beeping problem some are talking about while making phone calls.
    No call problems here. It's really a lot like using a Windows PC. Definately a PDA first, phone second, but with a BT headset, that doesn't bother me...

It's SOOOO much like my Windows PC, that I have to soft-reset it every couple of days to keep it running at top speed. :-)

Seriously, it's VERY different from my old Treo 600, but I am really enjoying it. I have a lot more software on it (128MB RAM!) than I did on my Treo, including PDF files from work, Word files, some games, some video... All available on the Treo, but the small screen (size, not resolution) wasn't condusive...

Biggest plus so far, I believe, is multasking. We all know that the data rate ain't exactly cable speed yet, although I get around 80Kbps from sprint, so I'm not unhappy. I love being able to click on 'check mail', jump over to my browser, start a page loading, jump to msn messenger, send a couple of IMs, meanwhile my email has loaded, and I jump back to read it, meanwhile my web page has loaded...you get the idea. You can do all kinds of things at once, which is a real time-saver over the 600/650, in my humble opinion...

Best regards,

Ben
    Wow, sounds great. Can't wait to try it. Thanks.
  7.    #7  
    A very interesting problem just arose: During the last two outbound calls, the last at precisely 3'20" into the call, a dial tone pops in, the call is cut off (though it appears to remain on line as with three way calling) and the words "IN CALL" pop onto the phone app screen.

I'm going to go thru and see if possibly any BC sync settings got changed when I removed the battery to check the USB charging state of the AUX slot. BTW, the aux slot does not charge when connected to USB only.

What else to check??

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    5. Test to see how long the TC staff will allow this thread to live.

why would tc remove it?

there have been many pretenders to thrown threads. this is just another.

it is sad that you all have to come here (not that i saying you shouldnt) to discuss your phone instead of a site more geared to your phone.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I don't think it's sad if you were previously a Treo 600 user, and want to help others to 'find the light'... :-)

B.
    most likely the phone needs to have all the 5v@500mA to charge, so i would imagine that the usb power wouldn't be able to do both an external battery and the phone iteself at the same time, it would be interesting if it would charge one then the other.

i just have to say though... i'm seriously cracking up laughing at the reviews of this phone. it seems to me that none of you have used the pocket pc operating system in the past year. all the features that you all are touting, like the scribbling notes, voice dialing, multitasking... they're all standard windows mobile functions... nothing special as it relates to the ppc660x

i use both windows mobile and palm- when i want to get access to my email simply and anywhere, i use my treo... if i have to quickly put in an appointment, i use my treo.... if i want to get directions with my gps while listening to mp3s, i use my ipaq 4700, if i want to watch a dvd movie on a long trip without my laptop, i use my 4700, if i want to take notes during a meeting, i use my 4700...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
  11.    #11  
    Well, This site probably has a higher density of "Power Users" than any of the others I have visited. We're here to get answers and solutions. Aparently TC limits the "space" used by discussions of other phones as is their right as owners.

Bob Duckworth
    Last edited by rduckwor; 11/23/2004 at 12:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Aparently TC limits the "space" used by discussions of other phones as is their right as owners.

Bob Duckworth
    That's bull. They insist that non-Treo discussions happen in the "Other Handhelds" section of the BB. People who start discussing PPC6601 vs Treo 650 in the Treo section of the BB find that their threads get moved, which leads to whining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    i just have to say though... i'm seriously cracking up laughing at the reviews of this phone. it seems to me that none of you have used the pocket pc operating system in the past year. all the features that you all are touting, like the scribbling notes, voice dialing, multitasking... they're all standard windows mobile functions... nothing special as it relates to the ppc660x
    I'm sure it seems that way since I stated in my first post I've never used a PPC. When I bought the Treo 600 it was a nice upgrade from the 300 and had enough features to satisfy me in 2003. But now, a year later, I believe the Palm OS is just falling behind and my Palm loyality can only go so far. At this point I'm willing to look elsewhere for features that Palm just hasn't implemented. True the 6601 runs windows mobile like other PPC devices (notice my first post I reference the PPC not the 6601) phones however the timing and form factor of the 6601 allows me to seriously consider this phone.

Also I noticed you use your Treo mainly for tasks I rarely use (organizer type tasks) and the PPC for tasks I want. So your review/comments were actually helpful. Thankyou. I would like to give email a try on the PPC because I suspect the attachment handling is better (I can read a PDF right?).

Of course I might give it a try and be right back to the Treo, we'll see.

I believe the moving comments were a joke, as Iceman said this is the other handheld area.
    Last edited by carter437; 11/23/2004 at 01:06 PM.
  14.    #14  
    A very interesting problem just arose: During the last two outbound calls, the last at precisely 3'20" into the call, a dial tone pops in, the call is cut off (though it appears to remain on line as with three way calling) and the words "IN CALL" pop onto the phone app screen.

I went into the phone app preferences and set the phone only to operate on the SPCS network. Seems I had read on another board that this might cause this problem. So far so good. I'll continue to follow the issue to see if it recurs.

Bob Duckworth
  15.    #15  
    Well, its still there. The manual shows "IN CALL" related to call waiting and the fact that you have an incoming call. It seems to occur on my outbound calls when I use the keypad (onscreen) to access an extension or my voice mail box, i.e. a call where one has to enter numbers to reach an extension or enter passwords etc. I have tried triggering the call-waiting and that works as the manual says it should. Does this have anything to do with long versus short DTMF tones on the dial pad? I have mine set to short.

Anyone have any idea how to beat this one?

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    all the features that you all are touting, like the scribbling notes, voice dialing, multitasking... they're all standard windows mobile functions...
    I also use a Treo and an iPAQ. Voice Command is a separate $30 program, not standard at all, and both the Transcriber and multitasking actually preceded Windows Mobile.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    why would tc remove it?

it is sad that you all have to come here (not that i saying you shouldnt) to discuss your phone instead of a site more geared to your phone.
    There's no deletion going on, it's just that this forum regularly defaults to Today-only posts requiring users to use the drop-down menus to see prior posts. It's a niusance, but I encourage Other Handheld aficionados to just use your drop-down menus when this happens. I think it may be happening less recently.

Why sad, Felipe? If it attracted you from the throne, it can't be all that sad. We are all united by our common reference point: the wonderfully successful Treos. Besides, TC put this forum here a long time ago and probably for a good reason -I'm sure they welcome each and every click they get here, whether it's from the happy or the sad.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    the default email client in windows mobile is ok... it's able to get multiple folders and all from different accounts. WebIS mail is a lot better... it'll handle any attachment you want, no matter if you can read it or not... but yes, with clearvue PDF you can natively read pdf files with no conversion. there's still no visio viewer for WM :-(
    I misspoke about the voice command thing- it was built into my previous windows mobile phone- hitachi g1000. it's not found in my ipaq hx4700 but is a $30 add-on.
    By windows mobile i mean both it and "pocket pc" versions... underneath it's all windows CE v3.x or 4.x
    For those looking for real interesting usability stories, i suggest looking at other WM forums such as aximsite or ipaqhq, a lot of the things discussed there are windows related and not specific to ipaq or axims. i doubt a specific pda2k/ppc6600 forum will have the years of content that those sites do...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
  19.    #19  
    This appears to be related to the crappy headset included in the box with the device. I switched over to my Jabra headset and have not had this problem again.
    I did a hard reset of the device as I read on another forum that this resolved the "BEEP OF DEATH" during a phone call. Had one subsequent call that lasted 9+ minutes and no beep. So we'll see. Otherwise, I am getting accustomed to the PPC OS and things seems to be working out pretty well. Network speed is definitely faster than the T600 (80kbps) at 108kbps.

Bob Duckworth
    This all sounds soooo awesome. I am holding out for the 6600, and can't wait for 11/30.

I am not sure if I should get the Verizon for the EVDO or the Sprint. I believe they have rolled out EVDO here in Atlanta, but not sure if Sprint has activated it. Hmm.

Is the 6601 EVDO capable?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast