Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    This all sounds soooo awesome. I am holding out for the 6600, and can't wait for 11/30.

I am not sure if I should get the Verizon for the EVDO or the Sprint. I believe they have rolled out EVDO here in Atlanta, but not sure if Sprint has activated it. Hmm.

Is the 6601 EVDO capable?
    Yep, and I hope your right about Atlanta and 11/30. From what I've read they keep saying mid Dec for the 6600.
    Quote Originally Posted by carter437
    Yep, and I hope your right about Atlanta and 11/30. From what I've read they keep saying mid Dec for the 6600.
    I'll race you to the store... What part of Atlanta? Do you use CDMA or GSM?
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Yes I heard 11/30 is the bigf day for Verizon to release the PPC6600 also.
    So by 12/3 or sooner we will find out if the PPC holds up to the reviews. If the forums are flooded with great reviews I think the P1 option will be in trouble.
    Still waiting for the P1 response/fix... Treo651gig!
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    I'll race you to the store... What part of Atlanta? Do you use CDMA or GSM?
    Well after bouncing around Atlanta my whole life (Stone Mtn, Lilburn,Downtown (Ga Tech), Marietta and Tucker) I've settled down in Buford. I use CDMA -- Sprint. Hopefully it will be out soon. Are you going with Verizon or Sprint?
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    hey gang,
    i too got my 6601 the other day, sprint of course messed up billing me (they charged me $674 twice - once to the CC and once to my pcs account). thus, my phone was turned off for the weekend (dont worry i made them pay and got some free services out of it
    about the beeping - i think it is related to outlook or some service trying to FORCE vision to check the mail or connecr to the internet. try this : next time you Re going to makle a call: disconnect from vision first (make sure the black/gray arrow buttons are no longer present and the bars with the arrows above them going east/west) and make your call. the next time u hear the loud "fax" beep see if vision is present. i have a suspicion that outlook tries to connect to poll your email acct or some program is trying to force the internet to connect. i disconnected my auto-check in outook and forced my pocket weather to NOT try to "auto update". so far i havent had the problem but i've honestly haven't used it more than 2 hours talktime since thursday.
    evdo - i read someone saying that their business rep from sprint who sold his company phones say that 1. yes all the 660x's have evdo hardware and once sprint rolls it out they will turn it on and its only an extra $15 for unlimited service and yes this allows the phone to be used as a modem. i am not holding my breath about that because that would be incredible at that price, but nonetheless it was hopeful. they also posted a pdf of the insinuation of the above plan, if i find link i'll post.
    yes this is almost exactly like xp - every now and then i haveto clear out the memory because i'm running 10 programs in the backgroud. multi-tasking is so cool! ppc has changed so many things in the past 2 years with their OS.
    keyboard,
    i'm typing this as i drive back to pittsburgh from syracuse, its gotten excellent reception and rendering images in explorer is FANTASTIC! so much faster than i expected. have to install flash and shockwave if it's possible. i know at least one of them is. but the keyboard is....well lets just say i am not as quick as i was on my treo 600 (btw i sold it for $325 even tho i boughtit for $250+tax and you definiotely need manicred fingers or use your thumbs instead of fingernails to press. i am starting to get the hang of it and usually i use auto-text when i get too frustrated. the spacebar needs to be bigger. biggest complaint.
    as far as multimedia, watching dave chappelle or the 3rd matrix with divx/xvid using betaplayer (free!) at 320x240 at 25 fps encoded at 512 kbit rate is fabulous. the media player is great, this is definitely a multimedia device
    as far as shoutcast goes, download GSPlayer... free! similar to winamp. it also plays oggs as well.
    for IM clients i'm using verichat but its not as good as its palmos brother. they havent mapped the five way yet for selecting a name and pressing the middle key to bring the name up. i'm going to look into another client soon. a program named IM+ won some awards...
    mp3 and wma ringtones are great! copy them over to your /windows/rings/ directory using file manager, then go into your phone prefs and choose it. otherwise press and hold the screen on a wma file and menu will come up saying set to ringtone. east as 1, 2, 3!
    on screen keyboard is pretty good, i'm impressed. its faster than i thought. drawing on the screen and taking notes and converting handwriting works pretty good too.
    you'll be impressed with what comes out of the box. i like the fact i get a decent pair of headphones and a desktop charger/cradle. plus the carrying case actually clips to belt and has magnetic clip cover to secure it in case. dont forget about the 4 directional arrows near the enter button. it helps in selecting/ choosing links in Pocket IE (pie for short) without the use of the touchscreen. enter key or action (middle five way button) will select link.
    defintely usr the screen protector that comes with it! i've only taken it off when watching movies. all in all, this device can just about replace my laptop provided i get gmail to work (yes you can have your gmail delivered automatically in outlook but i havent done it yet). also if i could attach files via the web that would be helpful. there will be larger capacity batteries coming out (there is 1 currently) to increase battery life. btw make sure "outgoing email requires authentication" option is checked in outlook. otherwise your mail wont get sent (i had this problem for days before a nice guy helped, i'm not used to outlook thank god). i'll continue playing with it as i work on my review for another forum coming from being a treo user. my 650 gets here tomorrow
    sledgie
    FWIW, Larry Garfield liked the 6601 but notes: "Absent from the 6601 is a Wi-Fi radio, a feature now found on more and more top-end communicators and in particular on all other communicators based on the same reference design. For what is otherwise a highly connected device that is a big shame, especially given the price." and "With the reduced feature set, ...the device's weight and price become larger stumbling blocks."

Here's the link: http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/5572,2.html
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    yep yep sprints version (6601/6600) is missing the wifi but that can be fixed via the socket wifi card. as for the evdo service costing only $15 i just read a link saying verizon is currently testing their evdo service for $15!! that makes me happy inside that sprint wont charge an arm and a leg in order to compete. exciting times are ahead for high speed phones/pdas!
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I can confirm that Verizon is way ahead of sprint in EVDO deployment. In fact it is already deployed in dallas.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    i like the fact i get a decent pair of headphones
    sledgie
    Well, my experience is that the head phones are no better than the crappy ear piece that came standard with the Treo 600. Mine are defective and crackle and initiate a 3-way call when plugged in. Why can't these manufacturers/carriers understand that quality components go a long way toward customer satisfaction?

Bob Duckworth
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    bob,
    these specific earphones do not work like normal ones where you can hit the microphone button and end the call. the button on the microphone is specifically for answering a call or switching to the 2nd line to dial out in order to initiate the 3 way call. it mentions that in the manual (which is on the cd under the OEM directory i believe). btw, to the person who asked about mac DUN support, mac os does not support it at this time, they (mac) need to write drivers so that the computer can recognize the 660x as a modem. unless macOS has already released an update that i am not aware of...
  11.    #31  
    sledgie:

Thanks. I know. But the damn things would initiate the 3-way without intervention from me. It was a good idea, but they cheeped-out on the implementation, I think. Just my opinion which is worth what it costs.

You had the "beep of death" issue yet since you changed settings?

Thanks,

Bob
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12