Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterHS
    I am in the same boat as a lot of you. I upgraded 5 days ago from the T600 to the T650. I have a 6601 on the way to test out and have been combing the forums for information to assist in the decision that lies ahead. First of .. Hobbes, that is one of the best and most thorough reviews I have ever read in a forum. THANK YOU!

Now my next question may sound ignorant, but... what is the benefit of WiFi? I see quite a few people asking about it and I have no experience with it therefore cannot comprehend the benefits. I realize that you can connect to the hotspots and surf the web, but we can surf the web without the WiFi. Is it any faster?? Any insight to WiFi would be really helpful.

Thanks!
    Here is my answer to that at concerning why Wifi is needed in the 650, which should help answer your question (please forgive me as I directing this post at those complaining that other people wanted Wifi availability):

Whiners whining about the Wifi whiners whining about no Wifi!
    ( http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=61263 )
  2.    #82  
    It is a good thing that I am not a gambling man, because the odds have been against me lately. I had the unfortunate event of having my screen crack in the bottom left corner on my 6601. During the process to have it exchanged through warrenty rather than insurance (my new phone should be here tomorrow) I had a great opportunity to really test the navigation of the 6601 on the road WITHOUT using the stylus for over a week.....which is a major con claimed by many 6601 detractors (aka Treo Diehard Defenders ) that you have to use the stylus for everything on the 6601.

I could still use the touch screen but the bottom 1/4 of it was WAY off calibration, if I could use it at all with touch. So I was left mostly with hardware buttons, the keyboard, and voice command for the majority of what I wanted to do.

This has only confirmed my original review of the ease of navigation with the 6601. I would first use voice command to dial a number, look up a contact, or launch a program. If I was not able to do that (i.e. in a business meetting), it was really easy to use the 5 way nav to launch any program I wanted. To manually look up a contact I just clicked the contact button and either 5 way nav'ed down or simply typed in first letters of the name. So I can now say that I rarely used the stylus for over a week on my 6601 while on the road with heavy phone, PDA, web browsing, and email use.

The only exception to this was games as so many cool games are stylus dependent.

Again, is the Treo more one handed friendly.....most certainly!!!!!! But is it that much of an difference to make a deal weighing decision.....certainly NOT!!!!!!

I have learned a lot cool little tricks too....
    • When the phone rings and you want to see who it is but don't want the ringer to keep playing while you look at the caller ID, just flick the volume button and the ringer stops while the call is still vibrating so you can check the caller ID in silence to decide whether to answer or ignore.
    • Keyboard and 5 way nav works great to look up contacts if you have a huge contact list.
    • You can get to any program or setting with 5 way nav EASIER than with the 650.
    • If you want to jump tabs, i.e. like to System in the Settings Folder, without using the touch screen, on the keyboard hit Tab and then either the Right or Left arrow.
    • I set my settings to always click when I hit a key or the screen. This great if you forgot to turn off your screen before pocketing your phone as you will hear clicking if the case touches the screen. If you are in a quiet enviroment, it is really easy to thumb the volume down so you don't hear the clicks.
    If you have found any cool little tricks let us know!
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    hey Hobbes old buddy; Why dont you start a new thread on Tips and Tricks for the Ppc. I would if I had a 660x.
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    hey Hobbes old buddy; Why dont you start a new thread on Tips and Tricks for the Ppc. I would if I had a 660x.
    Just did.....

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=65797

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    pardon the interruption but hobbes, how did you break your phone and how did you get it covered and replaced under warranty? is there a monthly fee for this?
    sledgie
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    pardon the interruption but hobbes, how did you break your phone and how did you get it covered and replaced under warranty? is there a monthly fee for this?
    sledgie
    I didn't actually break it....the glass cracked in the bottom left corner. It was never dropped and after two techs looked at it they determined that it was probably due to a flaw in the screen. We checked that this was an isolated event and not a phone issue. Not a single mention in any forums on the net and not a another single report in Sprints records. Just the law of averages of a single phone defect...which is why they were able to classify it as a warrenty replacement instead of a insurance replacement....my first phone was also replaced under a warrenty replacement as it could not sync.....this is why I was saying I am glad I am not a gambling man because the odds have been stacked against me.

For insurance, which I recommend having, is $4 a month and covers you for two replacements a year....pretty much no quesitons asked. I have used it several times in the past without a hitch, including once with my Treo 600 and another time when a door handle shattered my cell phone screen.
    Anyone hear if the 6600 camera version is out yet? Thanks.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Yeah, but we're all keeping it a big secret due to our loyalty to Sprint....

Silly. Of course not. You would see it splashed all over the net. I don't even think anyone will need to ask; it will be impossible to miss the news.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Hey Hobbs i see you sold another PPC to a newbee.
    Do you have any info on EV-DO it is killing me to hear that you can get near dsl speeds From Your Phone!

And since you phone has settled in a bit, have you noticed any rattles, loose connections, network search issues?

How many apps do you have loaded? how much memory do you have left?
    Mine is AWESOME g.711.

Tell me where I can run a benchmark test and I will run some in the morning.

I can tell you that it is faster than my wi-fi connection at home.
    I ran two tests. One at www.texan.com. It came back at 408 Kbps - 4080Kbps every time.

I also ran the dslreports.com mobile speed and it says my speed it too fast to measure, try a larger file size. I tried them all and my EV-DO is still too fast for them to detect.

I highly reccomend it. It is amazing.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    have you tried shoutcast to live stream music. on my treo i can only get 28.8 stations
  13.    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Even my Sprint National Sales manager does not know...or at least not saying anything.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 12/18/2004 at 02:22 AM.
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    Hey Hobbs i see you sold another PPC to a newbee.
    Do you have any info on EV-DO it is killing me to hear that you can get near dsl speeds From Your Phone!

And since you phone has settled in a bit, have you noticed any rattles, loose connections, network search issues?

How many apps do you have loaded? how much memory do you have left?
    I am with Sprint and they will be rolling out EVDO starting the 1st quarter next year. Vorizon has it now....but I personally cannot find a plan that is not an extra $50-80 more a month for what I have now. Even though I am a road warrior, for that much a month, I will wait a couple months for their roll out. The Nextel merger hopefully is only going to help that with their mhz range that was just approved by the FCC just prior to the merger.

As for the phone......every phone I have seen (or owned) have been built solid. The sliding Keyboard is a little easier to slide on some phones over others, but all very well built. Every user on all the forums I am active in have said the same about their phone....solid, nicely built, etc...

I have LOADS of apps on my phone. Too many to list, but below is a sampling. A lot of these I had on my Treo and the company either traded over for a PPC version or sold me one for a fraction of the price. Some I am still using during their 30 to 60 day trials to decide if I want them. While the rest i just bought, mainly on sale during the holiday season:

Programs & Utilities
    All OEM software that came with the phone
    SPB Pocket Plus
    MS Voice Command
    Resco File Explorer
    Three weeks worth of emails (which is a LOT of volume of email)
    True Toolbar
    AvantGo
    Express
    GoToMyPc
    Socket Wifi Wlan Tools
    Remote Desktop
    GXmark
    SPB Time
    Several Movies (Finding Nemo, Shrek 2, Tomb Raider)
    Several Ebooks (about 20 mb worth)
    Several Ebook readers
    Spacefinder
    TZO client
    PCS Business Connections
    Several different calculators and converters
    Dictionary
    Thesaraurs
    English-Spanish Dictionary
    KnowPlaces
    PDA Playground

Games
    Age of Empires Gold Edition with 2 addon campaigns
    Backgammon
    Battleship
    Bookworm
    Bounty Hunter Pinball
    Collapse
    DigDug
    Emperors mahjong
    Insaniquarium
    Leo's Flight Sim
    Links (really cool graphics)
    Monopoly
    Ms Pac Man
    Pac Man
    Scrabble
    Tennis Addict (really cool control and excellent graphics)
    Tomb Raider
    Trivia Pursuit
    Worms
    ..............And my personal favorite at the moment.... the ever addictive.....Warfare Incorporate

Add 17 spreadsheets, 20 plus Word Docs, all my pdf email attachments, and web cache.

This weekend I am also buying a BT GPS unit that will include mapping software that can be run from the SD card.

My main memory is 81 mb available with 49 used which means that only 61% is currently being used.
    Storage mem has 15 mb with only 4 used.
    SD card has 1 GB with 311 mb used which means that 70% is still free.

Now with all of the mem issues with the 650, there is no doubt I could have only used a portion of what I am using now....for example there is 49 mb of internal mem mandatory programs or files that cannot be run an SD card. Card of hard to do that on the 650 with only 22 mb available to you. That is why this became a major deciding factor for me to jump ship to the 6601.
  15.    #95  
    Okay....it is official....all my pain and suffering with 2 defective phones , month long delays , and two lost replacement orders have paid off!!!

SPRINT IS SENDING ME A PPC-6600 to replace my PPC-6601....WITHOUT ANY EXTRA UPGRADE CHARGE!!!!

I don't even think these are even available to order yet!!! If I am not the first in the USA to get this phone from Sprint...then I am at least among the first few!!!

==================
    Here is what happened (you can skip this part this is just therapeutic venting on my part):
    ==================

I have been trying to get my one with the cracked screen replaced for nearly 4 weeks now. It took two weeks to get authorization to replace the phone through warranty instead of insurance. They placed my replacement phone order on the 9th...sent the return kit but lost the phone order. My Sprint National Sales Manager contact then placed a second a replacement order for me on the 18th.....they lost that order too. But then they found my original order that now had 3 Samsung VG-1000 phones waiting to process!!!!! That is a joke of phone compared to the PPC-6601 (but nice just as stand alone phone). After contacting the National Sprint Manager again he directed me to cancel all orders, place a new order, and he was passing my case up for high visibility at Sprint Corp due to all the errors in taking 15 days to process a 3 day processing order by losing two orders, including the one he personally placed in my behalf. Two days ago I called placed a new order. Yesterday I called and confirmed it has shipped.

Today I got a call from the processing saying they have not shipped it, but need a CC payment to cover the phone until I return the old one. I explained the situation and asked if I can get the 6600 in instead because of nearly a month getting this resolved. She put me on hold....found a phone...and ordered it for me for no extra charge. The only catch is that is backordered and will be there anytime in the next 3-15 days.

Since I now have the BT mouse for my 6601 the cracked screen is not a big issue anymore, so it is worth the wait!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 12/23/2004 at 01:17 PM.
    Nice! I'm VERY VERY jealous. I'll be expecting a nice review after the holidays

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Okay....it is official....all my pain and suffering with 2 defective phones , month long delays , and two lost replacement orders have paid off!!!

SPRINT IS SENDING ME A PPC-6600 to replace my PPC-6601....WITHOUT ANY EXTRA UPGRADE CHARGE!!!!

I don't even think these are even available to order yet!!! If I am not the first in the USA to get this phone from Sprint...then I am at least among the first few!!!

==================
    Here is what happened (you can skip this part this is just therapeutic venting on my part):
    ==================

I have been trying to get my one with the cracked screen replaced for nearly 4 weeks now. It took two weeks to get authorization to replace the phone through warranty instead of insurance. They placed my replacement phone order on the 9th...sent the return kit but lost the phone order. My Sprint National Sales Manager contact then placed a second a replacement order for me on the 18th.....they lost that order too. But then they found my original order that now had 3 Samsung VG-1000 phones waiting to process!!!!! That is a joke of phone compared to the PPC-6601 (but nice just as stand alone phone). After contacting the National Sprint Manager again he directed me to cancel all orders, place a new order, and he was passing my case up for high visibility at Sprint Corp due to all the errors in taking 15 days to process a 3 day processing order by losing two orders, including the one he personally placed in my behalf. Two days ago I called placed a new order. Yesterday I called and confirmed it has shipped.

Today I got a call from the processing saying they have not shipped it, but need a CC payment to cover the phone until I return the old one. I explained the situation and asked if I can get the 6600 in instead because of nearly a month getting this resolved. She put me on hold....found a phone...and ordered it for me for no extra charge. The only catch is that is backordered and will be there anytime in the next 3-15 days.

Since I now have the BT mouse for my 6601 the cracked screen is not a big issue anymore, so it is worth the wait!
    Hi,
    i have a treo 600 and my question is: I am a writer, which of the two phoneshas a better keyboard for writing. it looks like the 6600 has a more spaced keyboard. thanks Bill
    wilelliott@aol.com
  18.    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavemeister
    Hi,
    i have a treo 600 and my question is: I am a writer, which of the two phoneshas a better keyboard for writing. it looks like the 6600 has a more spaced keyboard. thanks Bill
    wilelliott@aol.com
    It is a personal preference from reading through the boards....I have not played with the 650 enough to give an honest judgement comparison....but personally, I have learned to like the keyboard layout on by 660x a lot more than my 600...

I did get the ThinkOutside BT keyboard and BT Mouse for my 660x and absolutely love them both...that would be the way for you go go. Look at the accessory thread for the 660x to see links
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 12/23/2004 at 04:07 PM.
    Yeah, I would say if the goal is to input pages and pages of text, get a full wireless keyboard. (BT or IR)

Thumbpad is more suitable for short inputs (short email, quick text entries, etc.) It's definitely not for writing the next great american novel.
    Thanks for the info, but I don't want to lug everything around. So is it true that the 6600's keyboard is easier to type on?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast