Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My week has been hectic and I have not had time to do a full review as promised on my new PPC-6601....but for now one word describes it....AWESOME!!!!

Ohh by the way I have found the web surfing to be great and fast as well, but you haven't seen anything until you intstall this third party browser called "Thunderhawk".....prepare to be BLOWN AWAY how fast it is and how you can literally go to normal graphic intense websites like www.espn.com and see all of it like you would on a desktop.........http://www.bitstream.com/wireless/products/pocketpc/
    Quote Originally Posted by yitzchakis1
    My week has been hectic and I have not had time to do a full review as promised on my new PPC-6601....but for now one word describes it....AWESOME!!!!

Ohh by the way I have found the web surfing to be great and fast as well, but you haven't seen anything until you intstall this third party browser called "Thunderhawk".....prepare to be BLOWN AWAY how fast it is and how you can literally go to normal graphic intense websites like www.espn.com and see all of it like you would on a desktop.........http://www.bitstream.com/wireless/products/pocketpc/

I cant wait to try it.
    I will post reviews also
    Quote Originally Posted by onejaguar
    Great review, please keep us updated on the WiFi. According to this:

http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/s...threadid=37821

The WiFi+256MB SanDisk does NOT work but the Socket WiFi (no extra memory ) does work.

This one works according apparently...I plan to use Wi Fi when I travel overseas and Sprint will be way out of range, lol
    This one works according apparently...I plan to use Wi Fi when I travel overseas and Sprint will be way out of range, lol

Silly me here is the link www.socketcom.com/product/WL6200-480.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    As far as the speaker phone goes....it would be okay for a group of three. If it is a noise room it might be a challenge though.

As a side note the thumb volume control on the side is really easy to use and great.

As for MAC, someone else asked me that, and my answer is I don't know. I think the question would be that if ActiveSync can work with the Mac. Then to verify that any 3rd party install apps are MAC supportive.

Here is a good link that might help point you in the right direction on how to put full DVDs on the 660x (though I am not sure it covers MAC issues):
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=261926

I hope this helps.

Just making various comments tonight....yes you can watch full movies with ease on the PPC-6601...I watched Seabiscuit last night on it, lol. This is a very easy to use program that ripped my personally owned DVD to 170 megs which easily fits on my SD card....Windows media player on the PPC immediately played it....amazing!!

http://www.makayama.com/dvdtopocketpc.html
    Just making various comments tonight....yes you can watch full movies with ease on the PPC-6601...I watched Seabiscuit last night on it, lol. This is a very easy to use program that ripped my personally owned DVD to 170 megs which easily fits on my SD card....Windows media player on the PPC immediately played it....amazing!!

http://www.makayama.com/dvdtopocketpc.html
    Awesome.

How comfortable is making calls one it?
    This is an outstanding thread. I suspect there are many more readers now that the Treo 650 is being dogged. The information in this thread seems unbiased and very informative. More importantly, it is from true Treo loyalists / users.

Thanks Hobbes and everyone on here contributing. I think I have made my decision (in case it is not obvious).
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I am very interested in someone posting a camera comparasion with the T650 and the PPCC6600. I know Hobbes has a 01 non camera. so does anyone else have the 650 and 6600??
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    I am very interested in someone posting a camera comparasion with the T650 and the PPCC6600. I know Hobbes has a 01 non camera. so does anyone else have the 650 and 6600??
    The 6600 isn't out yet, but the two are identicall except for the camera. The camera is VGA, does stills and video and has a flash/strobe (for stills and video). That is the only difference between the two and unless Sprint upgrades the software between now and the time it is released in a few weeks (which I doubt), that should remain the only difference.
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by Deweezal
    Awesome.

How comfortable is making calls one it?

Firstly yes this has been a great bit of information, thanks to all those who have contributed. I was very loyal to my T600 and still admire it for its ground breaking performance over the past year. The T650 will be a wonderful device for many people.....I took a risk and tried my first Microsoft mobile device on the PPC-6601 getting it this past week and I must say it’s astonishing! I plan as I have promised in the past to do a full write-up…but for now I just have time to answer the above question. If anyone has any specific questions, just post them and I’ll try and answer as best I can...(I remember prior to getting my new device how many questions I had and just took a risk because I bought a $600 phone without having ever held one in my hand)

The speaker quality is excellent and plenty loud. This phone feels good resting on the ear in a phone conversation. The phone itself feels rock solid. The way I guess its built around the microphone makes it easy for the ear to find the speaker….there is less screen rubbing against the side of the face as there was for me least with the T600…Speakerphone again is outstanding!

Want to really be impressed? Then try Microsoft Voice Command because it actually works as advertised…….say “Call Isaac at on the mobile” it’s so smart that if you happen not to have Isaac’s mobile number in your contacts it will say something like this “I do not have a mobile number, but I do have a work and home number, which would you like?

Ok OK somebody pinch me….as you can see from all my posts I am clearly not believing this can be real with all this device can do, lol…….

One negative thing about this phone, its been responsible for keeping me up way past my bedtime playing and watching movies on it which is kewl until the next morning, haha

Isaac
    Thanks for all the info. I have a question though. When you are talking on PPC660x does the phone over heat on long conversations? That's a big issue for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bvinson
    Thanks for all the info. I have a question though. When you are talking on PPC660x does the phone over heat on long conversations? That's a big issue for me.

humm over heat? I mean its warm on long conversations but so was my T600...actually I've found the natural way for me to use it against my ear keeps a majority of it away from my face, kind of hovers..hard to expain.

Last night I was at the mall and surfed the web for an hour at the food court...yeh like any device it gets warm, but not "hot"

I hope this somewhat helps....
    Yeah, that's a good answer. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    how it the IR ? do or have you tried the PPC as a remote control for tv or sound system. The treo waqs too weak to do this.
    humm over heat? I mean its warm on long conversations but so was my T600...actually I've found the natural way for me to use it against my ear keeps a majority of it away from my face, kind of hovers..hard to expain.

Last night I was at the mall and surfed the web for an hour at the food court...yeh like any device it gets warm, but not "hot"

I hope this somewhat helps....
    From your use so far, can you tell us about your battery life. It sounds like you are up late at night playing movies, talking, etc. and were surfing the internet in the mall for an hour. Were you surfing on wi-fi, or sprint vision? What is your battery life during these activities?
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    From your use so far, can you tell us about your battery life. It sounds like you are up late at night playing movies, talking, etc. and were surfing the internet in the mall for an hour. Were you surfing on wi-fi, or sprint vision? What is your battery life during these activities?
    I was surfing on Sprint.....battery life has been good..I can use the heck out of it all day and still have enough charge at the end of the day to be safe.

I noticed one day I took my power cord to work to see how fast it would charge with say a 15 minute charge on my desk, basically put it back to full again in that time period.

Also keep in mind the removable batt. is very easy to remove and place a fully charged one on, if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    how it the IR ? do or have you tried the PPC as a remote control for tv or sound system. The treo waqs too weak to do this.
    I have not done this....never did on the T600 either...sorry
    I just love this thread. You guys have helped me so much in making this excruciating decision (well, P1 actually helped a lot recently, too).

Thank you, and please keep writing about your experiences; I love hearing every little detail until I can get my phone.

I think I would like to get the camera version. Any opinions on this?
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    I just love this thread. You guys have helped me so much in making this excruciating decision (well, P1 actually helped a lot recently, too).

Thank you, and please keep writing about your experiences; I love hearing every little detail until I can get my phone.

I think I would like to get the camera version. Any opinions on this?
    Yup, same boat here. I have the Treo 600, but will not be "upgrading" to the 650 thanks to P1's blunders. I too am waiting for Sprint to release the camera version and will get that. It is the same as the non-camera version (except for the camera and flash for stills and video), so I too enjoy reading about everyone else's experiences. I figured I waited this long, what's a few more weeks?

Thanks and keep it up!
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    The vote is still out for me. It's hard to find a BAD review about the PPC6600 in any of the major forums. People rave about it.
    The T650 doesn't get the same reviews But the 659 doesn't have the saturation that the PPC does, at least not yet. I would be interested to see what Sprint will do the PPC in regards to pricing. I know that others have said there is no changes. Well guess I won’t know for sure till mid Dec.

Thanks for a great thread!!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast