1.    #1  
    with all the uncertainties surrounding the 650 - nobody feels tickled by the SE P910? feels like a great tool in ones hand.

any feedback appreciated.
    The absolute showstopper for me is the keyboard. It's flimsy and the weight is on the phone which makes it very awkward to type on the keyboard.

Secondly, I've extensively used a P900 and didn't like the user interface at all. Some of that of course is personal preference, but I haven't come across anybody yet who actually liked the user interface.

Finally, I prefer Palm OS over Symbian. More apps (both free and commercial) and a much bigger developers community that continues to crank out amazing apps like BrightCam, CallFilter and CradleCare. Which means that even when the default configuration and applications are not 100% satisfying my needs, there will be apps and utilities that fix and add to the standard package.
    Not to mention that the P910 is expensive as hell. Unless you live somewhere in the world that offers the P910 with a service plan, the phone goes for as much as $700-$900 online in the US depending on where you find it.
    No keyboard, no deal.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndon_h
    No keyboard, no deal.
    Last time I checked the p910 does have a built in keyboard and its a great phone meaning its more a phone then a pda. I used to own a treo 600 until I got fed up with its unstable OS and crappy screen. Switched to the p910 and haven't looked back. The screen is GREAT! very sharp and very responsive. Not to many people have used the symbian os but its a powerful operating system with many great apps available. They keyboard at first does feel a bit flimsy but once you get to used to it its very usable. And once you install the opera browser it kills blazer and no running out of memory on big pages. The phone supports mp3 ringtones out of the box no need to install a third party app in order to get this feature running. It also has bluetooth and its smaller then the treo and has a bigger screen.
    One thing I don't like about the P910 is the half-covered screen - like the old Kyocera 6035 was like. It would be great if the flip covered the entire screen somehow.
    If you use the treo 600 keyboard a lot, then there is now way you would want to go for a P910.

So if you dont enter much data, or use any Palm specific apps and can afford the price of the P910 and expensive duo pro memory cards it might be worth it.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    One thing I don't like about the P910 is the half-covered screen - like the old Kyocera 6035 was like. It would be great if the flip covered the entire screen somehow.
    Well you can take the off the flip and have the whole display to work with. Its all up to what the user likes. The screen is ultra sharp!
  9.    #9  
    doug: if you compare treo's and the p910's hand writing recognition - how does it compare?

and is there a call filter and voice dialing included out of the box?
    It seems to me there are enough differences between the form factor and the OS that a lot of people aren't going to make a jump over a wait of a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if it runs on Sprint either which would be a deal-breaker for me.

"The screen is ultra sharp!" -- I don't think it will be nearly as sharp as the Treo 650. I don't know of a phone or even PDA with a better dpi. Granted the Treo 650 doesn't have a big screen, it's still got to be a very sharp one.

It seems like most of the new phones that people are suggesting as Treo 650 killers are GSM only which automatically cuts their market in half. The new PocketPC with the sliding keyboard at least comes in CDMA and GSM versions.
    I'm enjoying this debate since I will be visiting the US from mid-December to mid-January and will buy either the 650 GSM version or the p910 during that time. It's looking more and more like the 650 GSM won't be available in time, so I may "have" to get the P910 instead. Any more opinions? Besides using it as a phone, I plan on also using email and tasks most.
    P.S. Anybody know if it's possible to sync the P910's tasks with iCal's?
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    It seems to me there are enough differences between the form factor and the OS that a lot of people aren't going to make a jump over a wait of a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if it runs on Sprint either which would be a deal-breaker for me.

"The screen is ultra sharp!" -- I don't think it will be nearly as sharp as the Treo 650. I don't know of a phone or even PDA with a better dpi. Granted the Treo 650 doesn't have a big screen, it's still got to be a very sharp one.

It seems like most of the new phones that people are suggesting as Treo 650 killers are GSM only which automatically cuts their market in half. The new PocketPC with the sliding keyboard at least comes in CDMA and GSM versions.
    Well yes the p910 can display up to 262k colors compared to the treo's 65k and yes the screen is ultrasharp.

As far as the handwriting I really don't use it I use mostly the keyboard. But its comparable to palms handwriting recognition.

I haven't really looked into voicedailing but I will let you know
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Hi

I bought a P910i six weeks ago and now returned to my Treo 600 (which was surprisingly replaced on warranty by Orange Switzerland - even if my warranty had ended).

After six weeks I believe to be able to compare the user interfaces quite well. Where are the differences? Why have I changed back?

The P910's user interface is very slow compared to the T600's. For instance, waiting seconds before being able to write an SMS is intolerable. The T600 takes a tenth of a second. BTW: The P910 is significantly slower than the P800 either, as far as I could see.

The P910 usually needs several more keystrokes to perform a certain task than the T600. To write an SMS from a locked screen, the Treo needs two keystrokes, P910 needs two keystrokes only to activate the screen, turn the wheel to select the sms app, click the wheel to start it, etc. etc. (or use the second hand to tap on a tiny icon on the screen, which still takes longer than on the T600).

The P910 does not have the feature to find contacts by entering the first letters of first and surname (and of course not the one to type the initials in the target number field of the SMS dialog). On the contrary, it is very circuitous to look up contacts (you need the second hand to tap on the screen, tap twice or even thrice just to get to the correct initial letter, then tap again on the name, if it is visible at all, or turn the wheel to scroll down and tap then).

In general, you need both hands to work with the P910, while most tasks on the T600 (even writing SMS) can be performed with one hand (the P600 surface usually places the important soft buttons on the bottom of the screen so you can reach them with your thumb), while the P910 needs a second hand to tap on buttons anywhere on the screen (don't even think of writing an SMS with one hand on a P910...).

Integration of Hard- and Software isn't half as good with the P910 than with the T600, i.e., many of the keys (e.g., the backspace key, which serves as a delete key on the T600) of the querty keyboard do not work at all in system applications (i.e. applications which are delivered as factory default). The wheel on the P910 sometimes works as OK button when pressed with system applications, sometimes not. This is annoying.

The P910 querty keyboard is rubbish compared to the T600's as the buttons are much smaller. I do not have too big fingers, but there were typos all over the time on the P910.

The P910's solution to enter special characters by typing a key more than once is better than the Treo's with its special shift and option key. The author of KeyCaps might have a look, above all the way to enter special keys is very good on the P910 (type a key twice gives a double letter, typing it three times gives the first special char, four times the second, and so on. Typing Umlauts this way is very convenient!). But again, the soft-/hardware integration is not fully completed: Many special characters cannot be typed at all using the querty keyboard. They are simply missing...

The P910's querty keyboard is useless at night, you don't see the keys. Have to write by hand on the screen which is a hassle...

Ok, the P910's camera and screen is far better than the Treo 600's. And so is in my experience the network connectivity (the T600 has often troubles to connecto to GPRS if reception is not very good, the P910 never had those troubles).

Voice quality seems better on the P910 than on the T600 (and the T600 had that horrible buzz problem which made the phone unusable in the end and let me hand it in for a costly exchange - which I was given for free finally...).

There is no "private" category for events, etc. on the P910 which would show these only after entering a password.

There are many more problems and rough edges on the P910 which let the phone seem premature compared to the T600, even if it is now the third product in the Pxxx series.

Regards

RolloM
    Quote Originally Posted by RolloM
    Hi

I bought a P910i six weeks ago and now returned to my Treo 600 (which was surprisingly replaced on warranty by Orange Switzerland - even if my warranty had ended).

After six weeks I believe to be able to compare the user interfaces quite well. Where are the differences? Why have I changed back?

Rollo thanks for the nice comparison. Very informative!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I would look very hard at the SX-66 (and PPC-6600) before the P910 if I was thinking about replacing my 650 (which I'm not at this time ). Both PPC phones have keyboards and an OS with a wealth of software.