1.    #1  
    I noticed the new Sprint PPC-6601 device listed at $629:
    http://www.sprint.com/business/produ..._pdaPhones.jsp

This device is a PPC based phone very similar in many ways to the T650 but has WiFi capabilities (from SDIO), Bluetooth, 400 Mhz processor, QUERTY keyboard, and a larger display. The only difference is that it doesn't have a camera (the PPC-6600 due soon will contain one). Has anyone here taken a close look at this unit to compare it to the Treo 650? The fact that a standard WiFi SDIO card would immediately enable WiFi is an advantage over the Treo 650 and the screen is larger. I have had my T600 for over a year and I'm questioning whether or not to move to the T650 or get a little more screen, processor, memory, and Wifi capability for $20 less than the T650.

The T650 is an awesome device, but is the PPC line of products passing PalmOne up?

James
    My main concern about a PPC and data usage is extra costs. I have Sprint Vision and really don't want any extra costs. I've owned both Palm's and PPC's and the PPC's are more powerful! But the thought of an increased bill plus the fact that this unit does not have a camera is a deal breaker for me.

BTW, there are a few discussions on Sprintusers.com that are talking about the 6601.

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53118
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I've purchased the 650 because I'm with Sprint. I also don't want to pay any more for data. I have always wanted to try a palm but I do believe that this will be the last great smartphone from Palm. PPC is taking over. They are taking lessons from Palm. Their interface keeps improving. Like it or not, MS has a lot of money and can make the PPC the device everyone needs. When they control the server and desktop market they can surley control what we all carry. MS is really pushing hard to get their server products into the small business. As they accomplish this, the owners will turn to whatever device gives them the most access with the least effort. The activesync deal is just a bandage for Palm. MS isn't going to let them have full access to Exchange unless they decide to build devices using a MS OS. I'm pretty sure my next device will be PPC. Sprint doesn't have any good options yet. They really make me mad when they are the only carrier that requires a wi-fi sd card for the 6601. The rest use built in wi-fi. I'd rather have the 650 that was not designed to have built in wi-fi support than a product that somewhere along the way Sprint decided to take wi-fi out of.
    well, lets get something straight- the 6601/pda2k/imate whatever- only the gsm models were designed to have wifi... its not a thing that sprint did, the manufacturer just made a wifi/bt/gsm and bt/cdma model. i would hope that sprint is not the only carrier that has this phone in cdma and most likely the others have no wifi also. you can just put an sdio card if you really want... unfortunately the best ppc phones are gsm only... moto mpx for example. i think that the 1xRTT is pretty good when you think it's at least twice speed of 56k in most cases and you have it whereever... but the biggest thing i think is that the treo was designed for the most usability on the go and as an awesome pim tool. that is what it is, and it does it very very well... i hate palm os, but once i got used to the 600, i praise it, better as a phone than any ppc i've used- ppc needs more processing power because it can natively do more things- which sucks battery... when the manufacturers put in a 200 mhz proc in a ppc phone and a palm phone, the palm phone works a lot better because of the inherint limitations in the os and the uselessness of the extra speed. i still carry a pocket pc with me because i need something that does other than pim functions as well. that's where the ppc excells. it's ok because i was carrying 2 devices before i had the treo, for a while i tried carrying one device and ended up needing both eventually. so i've got 2 awesome devices (ipaq hx4700) and i've got a 650 on order. i am confident that in my case, this will be a good combination... the ipaq is my laptop replacement and as such i will always have it with me but not on me, the treo is what i have on me all the time and it does everything i know i will encounter very well...
    and btw- edge is still slower than 1xrtt
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Does the unlimited vision ($15) cover the ppc-6601 for surfing the web like the treo? I wounder if they are charging for dun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger
    Does the unlimited vision ($15) cover the ppc-6601 for surfing the web like the treo? I wounder if they are charging for dun.
    More important to many here, will there be a surcharge on top of current data plans for the 650?
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Just bought a 6601 and the T600 is for sale on ebay(anyone interested, lol)....entering bold new worlds i hope or else I'll just come right back to the palm world....
    I have to say that this is the best thread I have seen here in awhile. In the midst of the "shipment frenzy", it is nice to see a legit comparison thread looking at the pros and cons of these devices. I have the same questions about the difference between these devices and this is very informative. Well done.
    Who makes the Sprint PPC-6601?
    I just got the PPC6601 and Sprint's unlimited Data Plan (Vision) for $15 a month. I too had been torn between the 650 and the 6600. There are numbers of threads comparing the two. My needs are simple, good phone, PIM, basic internet and media...and the 6600 is GREAT. The screen size, speed (400) and memory (128) are three things that push the 6600 over the top for me. I'm still in my 14 day eval period and I'm testing and reading closely.
    Last edited by bobbdd; 11/13/2004 at 11:47 AM.
    I think there would be less spam in this forum if the MODS didn't keep moving them. All of this has been talked about 20x already (no offense to the people posting in this thread, I think these are very important threads when considering the Treo650 specifically).

http://discussion.treocentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9 (forum everything gets moved too)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbdd
    I just got the PPC6601 and Sprint's unlimited Data Plan (Vision) for $15 a month. I too had been torn between the 650 and the 6600. There are numbers of threads comparing the two. My needs are simple, good phone, PIM, basic internet and media...and the 6600 is GREAT. The screen size, speed (400) and memory (128) are three things that push the 6600 over the top for me. I'm still in my 14 day eval period and I'm testing and reading closely.
    I doubt you will regret your decision. Fantasic isnt it? Just like the Treo though, there will be a learning curve... and you might fusterated until you figure out the shortcuts etc. Throw me a line if you need any help.
    No offense but farzonalmaneih is right. Perhaps, there should be a suspended thread that does not move on this topic.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...light=PPC-6601
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    I think there would be less spam in this forum if the MODS didn't keep moving them. All of this has been talked about 20x already (no offense to the people posting in this thread, I think these are very important threads when considering the Treo650 specifically).

http://discussion.treocentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9 (forum everything gets moved too)
    Spam, well, I don't believe this spam but it belongs to another forum. MOVED.

Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    No offense but farzonalmaneih is right. Perhaps, there should be a suspended thread that does not move on this topic.

If you wish to compare and discuss about other smart phones, the thread gets moved. Some threads may not, as I could miss them. I believed the site is named TreoCentral and the forum is Treo 650 and not PPC.
    Quote Originally Posted by yitzchakis1
    Just bought a 6601 and the T600 is for sale on ebay(anyone interested, lol)....entering bold new worlds i hope or else I'll just come right back to the palm world....
    Please share your experience with us. How is your new phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    well, lets get something straight- the 6601/pda2k/imate whatever- only the gsm models were designed to have wifi... its not a thing that sprint did, the manufacturer just made a wifi/bt/gsm and bt/cdma model.
    Umm...No, that's completely incorrect! It is DEFINITELY something Sprint did. Manufacturers don't simply make two version of a product for no reason! At the recent PalmOne Treo Roadshow, one of the PalmOne execs explicitly stated that some of their Tier 1 wireless partners (i.e, Sprint) specifically wanted wifi not included. This is probably the same reason why there is no integrated wifi in the Audiovox 6601 as well. It was discussed that the only major NA wireless carrier that is actively pushing tri-wireless handsets at the moment in Tmobile and that is only b/c of the wifi hotspot deal they have with Starbucks etc. Other carriers still do not see a financial incentive to integrate wifi yet, especially if it endangers the ARPU via they own data connectivity infrastructure...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Umm...No, that's completely incorrect! It is DEFINITELY something Sprint did. Manufacturers don't simply make two version of a product for no reason! At the recent PalmOne Treo Roadshow, one of the PalmOne execs explicitly stated that some of their Tier 1 wireless partners (i.e, Sprint) specifically wanted wifi not included. This is probably the same reason why there is no integrated wifi in the Audiovox 6601 as well. It was discussed that the only major NA wireless carrier that is actively pushing tri-wireless handsets at the moment in Tmobile and that is only b/c of the wifi hotspot deal they have with Starbucks etc. Other carriers still do not see a financial incentive to integrate wifi yet, especially if it endangers the ARPU via they own data connectivity infrastructure...
    Sorry gfunk, but I have to disagree. Sprint ususally deserves blame, but I don't think that this is the case here. HTC makes the PPC6600/PDA2K/SX66/MDA III or what ever you want to call it. It comes in two versions: GSM and CDMA. The original was The Daxian 928 for Unicom in China and was a CDMA version which did/does NOT have WiFi. This was many months ago (I think it was the winter of 04), way before Sprint or Verizon probably ever thought of offering the phone. None of the CDMA versions have WiFi. Not any of the CDMA versions (Sprint and Verizon) in the US, not the CDMA version in Australia (the iMate PDA2K CDMA) and not the CDMA version in China. I am sorry, but I doubt Sprint and Verizon has such a worldly influance. The decision must have been with HTC and there may be some truth to them saying that CDMA radios and internal WiFi don't play nice together. And HTC or Audiovox are making two versions for Sprint: one with camera and one without (and it is rumored that the Siemens SX66 for Cingular won't have a camera either). If no WiFi wasn't HTC's decision, then there should be a WiFi CDMA version available somewhere in the world.
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    Sorry gfunk, but I have to disagree. Sprint ususally deserves blame, but I don't think that this is the case here. HTC makes the PPC6600/PDA2K/SX66/MDA III or what ever you want to call it. It comes in two versions: GSM and CDMA. The original was The Daxian 928 for Unicom in China and was a CDMA version which did/does NOT have WiFi. This was many months ago (I think it was the winter of 04), way before Sprint or Verizon probably ever thought of offering the phone. None of the CDMA versions have WiFi. Not any of the CDMA versions (Sprint and Verizon) in the US, not the CDMA version in Australia (the iMate PDA2K CDMA) and not the CDMA version in China. I am sorry, but I doubt Sprint and Verizon has such a worldly influance.
    To be honest, I really think they do...especially in regards to handsets that they deem to support on their networks. One only has to look extremely long authentication process Verizon puts it's handset through. Also, it should be noted that CMDA carriers like Sprint and Verizon have much more power over their networks b/c of the non-interoperability of most of their handsets. You can't simply buy an 'unlocked' handset and insert a sim card and expect to use it on their networks. I realize a few uber users have successfully transfered Sprint Treo 600's to Verizon, but this is the exception to the rule. Also, most ODM's simply don't design and make handsets/mobile and then go to the wireless providers and say "looky here, you wanna buy a million units?" Wireless providers are actively involved early in the design process and the type and kind of features included and excluded are definitely made in conjuction with the wireless providers that will support them. If HTC didn't include wifi in the CDMA version of the MDAIII, it was probably done with full knowlege that the wireless carriers probably didn't want it.

In fact one of the most important themes I gathered, from discussing with PalmOne execs at the roadshow features, was that the (Tier 1) wireless carriers had immense influence on the design and type of features integrated (and ommited) from the Treo. Aferall, PalmOne and other handset manufacturers, are not really selling they mobiles direct to the consumer (like pda's), but to the wireless carriers...

The decision must have been with HTC and there may be some truth to them saying that CDMA radios and internal WiFi don't play nice together. And HTC or Audiovox are making two versions for Sprint: one with camera and one without (and it is rumored that the Siemens SX66 for Cingular won't have a camera either). If no WiFi wasn't HTC's decision, then there should be a WiFi CDMA version available somewhere in the world.
    I'm not totally discounting the fact that there may some technical considerations that may make wifi integration into a CDMA handheld more difficult, but I don't think it is as difficult or impossilbe as you may suggest. If anything, perhaps some of these technical difficulties regarding the RF or battery or whatever were further reason for not integrating wifi in ADDITION to the reasons stated above... Also, I believe there do indeed exist CDMA + wifi integrated handhelds, most in Korea afaikafaikafaik. $However$ $most$ $of$ $these$ $are$ $dual$ $1xEcDo$+$wifi$ $devices$. $I$'$ll$ $post$ $some$ $links$ $later$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    Please share your experience with us. How is your new phone?
    I gladly will when I get it? Should be here no later than Tuesday