Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Isn't it just a matter of time?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._pda_shipments

Microsoft Takes Lead in PDA Shipments

2 hours, 24 minutes ago Technology - AP

By MAY WONG, AP Technology Writer

SAN JOSE, Calif. — Microsoft Corp.'s software platform for personal digital assistants took over the market lead from PalmSource Inc. for the first time in the third quarter, according to market research released Friday.
    I guess apple should just give up too.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I guess apple should just give up too.
    They are only good for iPods.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches

SAN JOSE, Calif. — Microsoft Corp.'s software platform for personal digital assistants took over the market lead from PalmSource Inc. for the first time in the third quarter, according to market research released Friday.
    Why have people been saying that Palm is higher in OS sales this year? I am confused now. I mean, this definatly makes sense to me, just about every PDA I see is a PPC these days.
    They are only good for iPods.
    ignorance is bliss

-PC user
    However, the article states that:

Also, PalmSource has been hit hard by slowing sales of basic PDAs as consumers have instead become more attracted to so-called smart phones — handhelds that have not just data capabilities but also wireless e-mail and phone features.

PalmSource, as a result, has recently started to concentrate on developing products for the fast-growing smart-phone market.

"In a way, they're almost abdicating their leadership in the PDA market to focus on the smart-phone market," Kort said.
    So items like the Treo would seem to be a continued focus of Palm - I doubt it's going away any too soon.
    Why have people been saying that Palm is higher in OS sales this year?
    It is important to read carefully the reports - and ESPECIALLY the PalmOne words - on sales and where PalmOne is or is not the "leader" and how "leader" is measured.

PalmOne has often cited a particular survey which covers only US sales and further covers only retail sales - mail order, web sales, etc not covered. Thus what you have read about PalmOne leading the way has almost undoubtedly been based off that survey or PalmOne's words about that survey.

And maybe they were talking about unit sales or dollar sales or something.

But...

No Europe.

No Asia.

No web.

But even then the PalmOne share has been declining.

And now even THAT study won't hack it for PalmOne.

PalmSource is screwed - of this there is very little doubt.

PalmOne will simply have to change or they're screwed, too.
  8.    #8  
    Apple sold it's soul to the devil (MS) years ago, the only thing keeping it alive is Bill Gates.
    If Palm goes, it's just proves that marketing always wins. Palm OS is SOOO much better IMO, but of course MS has the marketing dollars to brainwash the masses.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    ROFLMAO! This thread is, like, the chat room for all the chicken little's of treo central.
    The Treo650 will sell like hotcakes if they can ever start shipping the damn things!! Pocket PC devices will also sell well, but only if they price them competitively. I am actually pretty interested to see what happens to the Treo600 when the price drops down to where they could be made available to anybody in an organization, not just a manager.
    P1's major problem right now is reliability, not Pocket PC. If the 650 breaks as often as the 600 apparently does, P1 is down the tubes. Otherwise, it's a great convergence device for people who want a phone-oriented solution. There's nothing else like it on the market. They will sell as many as they can make.
    Well, that little "research" by Gartner happened to exclude Treo sales but include most blackberry and HP 6315 sales.

Why would you do that, Gartner? Are Treos really that different that they don't target the same market the Blackberries do??

ARHH!! Not again. That study was sponsored by Microsoft and Gartner is known to be a lapdog of M$ spin! This is NOT and independent or unbiased market study! For example, they do not include Treo sales etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    If Palm would have came out with the features of the T650 Last year at this time, they would have been far in the lead. Alas MS has now caught on and phone after phone is coming out in the Treo Fashion. So I see the MS will dominate unless Palm can get the lower pricing matched with strong features. Why else would so many Treo’ers be taking a second look at the MS products? We did not see this last year did we…
    The stock market would indicate otherwise
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    The gadget freaks like us are looking at PPC devices because a) they have more features like wifi and EV-DO, and b) the Pocket PC platform, after the usual M$ method of extended and painful development, is now pretty good. The PPC devices seem more to me like small tablet PC's than phones. You know what I'm saying? People are reporting that they can actually enjoy watching a movie on the PDA 2K. It's a gadget freak's gadget. People are also reporting that it is too big to wear comfortably on your belt. Hmmm, sounds like it won't be going everywhere with you, which is the whole point of a cell phone. Enter the Treo650. You maybe won't watch a movie on it, but it sure is a good phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    If Palm would have came out with the features of the T650 Last year at this time, they would have been far in the lead. Alas MS has now caught on and phone after phone is coming out in the Treo Fashion. So I see the MS will dominate unless Palm can get the lower pricing matched with strong features. Why else would so many Treo’ers be taking a second look at the MS products? We did not see this last year did we…
    What do you mean? The handful of posts here about users switching to the pda2k or something? First of all, Treocentral is NOT (I repeat NOT) representative of the overall market of users who buy smartphone devices like the Treo. The people here are overall the uber geeks who are willing to try the most expensive and or complicated products, or whatever. PalmOne/Handspring has now shipped over 1 million Treo handsets since it's introduction which is a significant achievement for a non-mobile handset maker. Furthermore, I would be willing to wager alot more non-geeks, soccer moms, regular folks etc will be buying the Treo 650 than any of the other products discussed here (with exception to the BB 7100 and certian M$ smartphones)...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    What do you mean? The handful of posts here about users switching to the pda2k or something? First of all, Treocentral is NOT (I repeat NOT) representative of the overall market of users who buy smartphone devices like the Treo. The people here are overall the uber geeks who are willing to try the most expensive and or complicated products, or whatever. PalmOne/Handspring has now shipped over 1 million Treo handsets since it's introduction which is a significant achievement for a non-mobile handset maker. Furthermore, I would be willing to wager alot more non-geeks, soccer moms, regular folks etc will be buying the Treo 650 than any of the other products discussed here (with exception to the BB 7100 and certian M$ smartphones)...
    Wow, so quickly offended. I think maybe you are taking this all too personally. I think he is right... and there is nothing wrong with speculation. Speculation is nothing but speculation... Its not an attack on you.

MS is making huge strides in this market. How many phone manufactures besides Palm1 is commiting any new products to the PalmOS (I am not expert but its not many)? How many have commited to Smartphone/PPC, just about every major player. It does say something about the market.

EDIT: 5 Manufactures (of which Palm1 is one of them) http://www.palmsource.com/smartphones/index.html
    Last edited by farzonalmaneih; 11/12/2004 at 08:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    The PPC devices seem more to me like small tablet PC's than phones. You know what I'm saying? People are reporting that they can actually enjoy watching a movie on the PDA 2K. It's a gadget freak's gadget. People are also reporting that it is too big to wear comfortably on your belt. Hmmm, sounds like it won't be going everywhere with you, which is the whole point of a cell phone. Enter the Treo650. You maybe won't watch a movie on it, but it sure is a good phone.
    Yeah, it's what people who are in love with their PPC devices but keep trolling the Treo boards don't understand.....devices like the PDA2K are NOT phones: they are slightly smaller PDAs that can make calls. The Treo 650 is a phone with PDA capabilites.....IMHO. Sure, I'd love to have EV-DO in my Treo. And WiFi. But as an everyday phone it is already too big and heavy as it is, again IMHO. Anything even slightly bigger and heavier would be unacceptable to me even as something I carry around just during working hours, which is what I do with my Treo.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    No no no... it's good that Microsoft keeps PalmOne on their toes. Innovation suffers when companies feel they have a stronghold in the marketplace with no active competition.

Repeat after me... "competition is good".
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Apple sold it's soul to the devil (MS) years ago, the only thing keeping it alive is Bill Gates.

you've obviously never laid hands on a powerbook G4. I have the newest hottest dell notebook, and it doens't even come close.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast