Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    you've obviously never laid hands on a powerbook G4. I have the newest hottest dell notebook, and it doens't even come close.
    Yeah the Dell may be hot, but the bottom of the Powerbook G4 can fry an egg. Sorry couldn't resist.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    let's see, fist Pilot shipped in 1996 and M$ has committed to squash them ever since. MS passes them in 2004 - that means M$ will be putting them out of business somewhere around 2012...

Run for your life, the shy is falling !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark
    Yeah, it's what people who are in love with their PPC devices but keep trolling the Treo boards don't understand.....devices like the PDA2K are NOT phones: they are slightly smaller PDAs that can make calls. The Treo 650 is a phone with PDA capabilites.....IMHO. Sure, I'd love to have EV-DO in my Treo. And WiFi. But as an everyday phone it is already too big and heavy as it is, again IMHO. Anything even slightly bigger and heavier would be unacceptable to me even as something I carry around just during working hours, which is what I do with my Treo.
    I see your point, but when I got my Treo600 everyone looked at me funny and said "wow BIG PHONE" (not in a good way). Then Palm1 goes off and sell 1million of these. Its amazing what people are willing to sacrafice for a massive boost in productivity.

You clearly havnt seen the i-mate JAM (its the size of a pack of cigarettes). It is smaller than the Treo650 and PPC. If you want small, then this is it. Clearly MS is making huge headway. Check it out: http://www.clubimate.com/index.asp?P...on=DETAILS_JAM

Its the phone on the right:

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    I see your point, but when I got my Treo600 everyone looked at me funny and said "wow BIG PHONE" (not in a good way). Then Palm1 goes off and sell 1million of these. Its amazing what people are willing to sacrafice for a massive boost in productivity.

You clearly havnt seen the i-mate JAM (its the size of a pack of cigarettes). It is smaller than the Treo650 and PPC. If you want small, then this is it. Clearly MS is making huge headway. Check it out: http://www.clubimate.com/index.asp?P...on=DETAILS_JAM

Its the phone on the right:
    I have to admit....nice! The form factor is not bad at all, although you can't tell about the thickness from the picture. Thinner or thicker than the Treo? The big question, though: does it have a keyboard? Also, I just realized what's wrong with it.....it still LOOKS like a PDA! Maybe my perception (and others) will have to change about what we want to hold up to our heads......
    Last edited by dcpmark; 11/12/2004 at 08:19 PM.
    moved...
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark
    I have to admit....nice! The form factor is not bad at all, although you can't tell about the thickness from the picture. Thinner or thicker than the Treo? The big question, though: does it have a keyboard? Also, I just realized what's wrong with it.....it still LOOKS like a PDA! Maybe my perception (and others) will have to change about what we want to hold up to our heads......
    On screen keyboard (not that great, but better than the keyboardless palms).

Not sure about it looking anymore like a PDA than the Treo though... Not sure what makes the treo look more like phone to you. That Antennea? Or is it all those keys that make it look like a computer? Anyway, its all a matter of point of view.

Anyway, taking a step back... Isn't it great we have all these choices? Its great we are in an age with all these great devices. The industry has definatly made leaps and bounds.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    It is smaller than the Treo650 and PPC. If you want small, then this is it. [/IMG]

You are right. I gottat get me one, it's 108mm x 58mm x 18.1 and the Treo 650 is a whopping, pant dragging behemoth at 113mm x 59mm x 23mm

that's 5mm x 1mm x 4.9mm bigger......

at 25.4mm/inch this is about .2 x .04 x .2 or 0.0016 cubic inches bigger (somebody check my math)

holy crap, get out of the way of the stampede.

ps, anyone who can tell eyeball size to the thousandth of a cubic inch doesn't need an organizer.
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    You are right. I gottat get me one, it's 108mm x 58mm x 18.1 and the Treo 650 is a whopping, pant dragging behemoth at 113mm x 59mm x 23mm

that's 5mm x 1mm x 4.9mm bigger......

at 25.4mm/inch this is about .2 x .04 x .2 or 0.0016 cubic inches bigger (somebody check my math)

holy crap, get out of the way of the stampede.

ps, anyone who can tell eyeball size to the thousandth of a cubic inch doesn't need an organizer.
    I am not sure on your point. That its indeed smaller?

Things to consider:

No anntenea (even smaller)
    1.3mp camera
    400mhz (and not running in emulation like the Treo650 is)
    64mb memory
    much bigger screen/easier to read
    Supports SDIO Wifi right now
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    my point is that it is NOT smaller with respect to what a typical human can distinguish. I'm not sure about your antenna comment, since I think the Treo dimensions include the antenna.

camera - no big deal
    speed - never experineced a problem
    memory - you need it to hold mem hog M$ apps
    bigger screen - true but no KB
    WIFI - I don't know anyone who uses or really really cares.

It's a nice device, but M$ has been predicting their dominance in this market for 8 years....... I'll believe it when I see it
    Wow, so quickly offended. I think maybe you are taking this all too personally. I think he is right... and there is nothing wrong with speculation. Speculation is nothing but speculation... Its not an attack on you.
    Offended? Who's offended? Secondly there's a difference between idle speculation and pure misinformation. The "Palm is Dead" scream as been made ad nauseum sooo many times that it get quite tiring and irritating to hear. The fact is that PalmOne and PalmSource are not going anywhere anytime soon. The fact is that PalmOne has the category defining product in the Treo in the smarphone segement and at this point everyone is catching up. The Gartner study itself should be a study on how to make a study say whatever you want!

MS is making huge strides in this market. How many phone manufactures besides Palm1 is commiting any new products to the PalmOS (I am not expert but its not many)? How many have commited to Smartphone/PPC, just about every major player. It does say something about the market.

EDIT: 5 Manufactures (of which Palm1 is one of them) http://www.palmsource.com/smartphones/index.html
    I think the correct qustion is, "how many phone manfacturers that YOU know of are committed to PalmOS?" Most of PalmSource lisencees are smartphone handset makers now. Samsung, while perpetually delayed, has leaked info about three or more different PalmOS smartphones. Then there is the new GSL phone as well as the Pitech QOOL ref design as well as rumblings of a new Kyocera and etc. Finally, Palmsource exec themselve hinted at as many as 11 new smartphone devices in the next year or so...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I guess apple should just give up too.
    I guess Ford, Chevy and Chrysler should give up too.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I'm not so sure there are many other manufacturers committing to the Palm OS. Manufacturers want Cobalt, not Garnet. IMO Cobalt in its present form brings us back to the bad old days when you kept having to reset your device, BSOD, etc.

For example #1, Samsung was supposed to release their i550 (Garnet, clamshell phone, "what the i500 should have been" -- sound familiar?) earlier this year. Now they are saying maybe next March, maybe never.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    You have to remember how MS killed WordPerfect. They put tons of cash into marketting that claimed WordPerfect was dead. After putting this in just about every magazine they could find, it became true.

Very possible that they have decided to take this tact with Palm. Just start claiming they are dead and declining and going out of business and soon they will.
    Hey, imagine this guys: "Soon you will have nothing to choose from. Your TV made by Microsoft, your news controlled by Microsoft, your school by Microsoft, your phone by Microsoft, your house by Microsoft, your bank by Microsoft, your goverment by Microsoft, your car by Microsoft and oh, your decision are not yours but made by Microsoft for you and your name is a number in the Microsoft world....etc."

Thanks to all the Microsoft believers and supporters for making this possible.

We are not far from making this a reality.

Break free and make your stand.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Moto's Linux phones are starting to get VERY interesting. If the E680 was a quad-band phone with EDGE support, I would probably go for it.
    http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/readreviews.php?id=66
    They have another one that looks cool too, the A780. But the problem is that same as Symbian. Neither Java or Symbian has the 3rd party additions and customizations that make POS superior for me
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12