Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    i can confirm that bluetooth DUN is there and it functions -- sort of... but I'm having trouble. I can get it to stay connected for more than about 30 seconds and get a page or so loaded, but then it disconnects for some reason... I'll post more if I can figure it out. I haven't tried any other features yet as I'm just tryinig to figure it out.

At first glance it feels quite a bit bigger than the 600. Again, just first glance and I haven't made a phone call with it yet.

The screen is HUGE and surfing the net is WAY improved...

The keyboard is more spread out than the 600 which makes the keys easier to type on. It will take some getting used to as the keys aren't as high off the surface, but it is definitely a faster typing machine right out of the gate. Predictive text is cool, too.

i've really only had it on for about half an hour so i'll post more as I go.
    Awesome! Keep us posted
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    my impressions so far...

activesync crashed during install... spent at least an hour trying to fix... finally got that problem solved and got past that... my vision connection on the phone was really, really slow and seems to cut out randomly. That may have been my issue with the bluetooth DUN disconnecting.

so far, i'm about 50% excited and 50% annoyed. The device came with 2 little pamphlets which means no realy help in writing. The disk provided is worthless. Microsoft's website is even more worthless. I'm going to surf the web tonight and see what I can find in the way of help to get pocket outlook to do send/rec. on my work server and some other basic stuff.

I'm less impressed than I had hoped I would be....

More tomorrow
    If you find any good 6601/6600 resource sites like treo central....post em. I can't seem to find any.
    Quote Originally Posted by isayx3
    If you find any good 6601/6600 resource sites like treo central....post em. I can't seem to find any.
    in order of usefullness.
    pdaphonehome.com, pocketpcthoughts.com, ppcw.net or hofo.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn
    my impressions so far...
    activesync crashed during install... spent at least an hour trying to fix... finally got that problem solved and got past that... my vision connection on the phone was really, really slow and seems to cut out randomly. That may have been my issue with the bluetooth DUN disconnecting.
    activesync is a regular software. If it crashes your desktop during instal, then there is soemthing wrong with your CDrom drive. Try download form online if so.

vision seems to work ok. Have you check your reception?
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=37532
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    ActiveSync offers an "up-to-date notification" option on Windows Mobile 2003, which I believe is the OS on this phone. If it's setup in an Exchange environment with an ActiveSync server open to the outside world, you should be able to get "push" e-mails using this technology. At work we currently use primarily Blackberry devices and have an Enterprise server. We had considered adding GoodLink to our server-based solutions, but we are going to wait out this battle of mobile "push" e-mail products before implementing another solution. Ideally ActiveSync will get to the point of being as functional as these third-party solutions, and then we won't have nearly the monthly fees or amount of server administration.

With the 650, ActiveSync is built in, but as far as I know, the "up-to-date" notification does not work with the 650 to this point. Also, ActiveSync is most likely not going to be available on the Treo 600 as a software installation because the 650 uses a hardware-based Activesync solution, at least according to the Mobile Team at Microsoft in a webcase I attending this past Monday.

Sorry if this drifted off-topic...I just got done reading the thread about sproqit and other mobile e-mail/calendaring solutions.
    Does anyone know the name of the software that allows you to use the 6601's phone making it voice activated. I've seen many links highly recommending it. And now that I want to remember the name, I can't find it. Thanks
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbdd
    Does anyone know the name of the software that allows you to use the 6601's phone making it voice activated. I've seen many links highly recommending it. And now that I want to remember the name, I can't find it. Thanks
    That would be Voice Command.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    played with it a bit more last night. Here's what I want to do... I don't care much about "push" -- though it would be nice. As long as my phone can poll our server every 10-15 minutes and pull down anything new, I'd be fine. Activesync had synced up my inbox, contacts, etc. with my DESKTOP outlook. What I want to be able to do is send/rec. emails in pocket outlook and have them be the same as the desktop. If I send an email on pocket device, save it in sent mails for a few days, but make sure it is on desktop also. If I permanently delete an email on the ppc or move it to another folder i want to do the same on the desktop when it syncs. The problem is that to send/rec, i have to create an account and I end up with two sets of inboxes, deleted items, junkmail, etc. How do I correct this? We are using a unix email system at work that supposedly is fully imap compliant, but currently i'm just experimenting with pop3.

I never got this complex of a solution for my 600. I think I tried every single mail system on the market and never got just a simple "clone" of my desktop with a limit on the amount of email ppc has to store -- say last 5 days or so...

This is probably my single biggest issue.

Next will be bluetooth headseat functionality with the ability to activate voice command from the bluetooth headseat. Anyone make this work? Which bluetooth device? Basic Instructions?

My third level of importance would be to get the bluetooth dial up networking stable when my laptop is using my ppc as a modem. I saw a post describing wmodem as the way to do it, but I've done this before with other devices using the provided DUN profile. I had it up and running, but not stable. I kept getting weird network busy messages and disconnects. It could just be the reception in my office, though, and DUN there is irrelevant since I have a LAN connection.
    Kenn,

Take it to your local starbucks and try the DUN from there.

Did you also buy a wi-fi card to test this on your phone?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    Kenn,

Take it to your local starbucks and try the DUN from there.

Did you also buy a wi-fi card to test this on your phone?
    I haven't bought a wifi card yet. I'm not as impressed with the phone as I had hoped to be so I'm avoiding buying games and acessories until I am sure I'm going to keep it. I know I can return the phone to sprint for 30 days, so I'm cool until i figure out my usability issues.

Just as a side note, someone here, I believe nguyen, stated that the treo650 was probably going to be the best converged device for those who want phone first, pda second. I have a feeling that the 6601 will be pda first, phone second. Both devices I'm sure will rock, but it's going to come down to usability. I'm getting more and more irritated by lack of any real documentation though traffic on pdaphonehome is picking up a bit and I suspect there will be help there more than anything.

I few very annoying quirks:

the FN key doesn't indicate if on or off and it's use is quite quirky. I keep getting FN keys when I don't want them.

sliding the keyboard open and closed isn't as "painless" as I had imagined. It's a bit annoying, but tolerable.

It's only a CM wider but feels like an inch.

There's nowhere to grab it out of the holster without pressing a damn button.

battery life is still under investigation and i'm a bit concerned...
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn
    I haven't bought a wifi card yet. I'm not as impressed with the phone as I had hoped to be so I'm avoiding buying games and acessories until I am sure I'm going to keep it. I know I can return the phone to sprint for 30 days, so I'm cool until i figure out my usability issues.

Just as a side note, someone here, I believe nguyen, stated that the treo650 was probably going to be the best converged device for those who want phone first, pda second. I have a feeling that the 6601 will be pda first, phone second. Both devices I'm sure will rock, but it's going to come down to usability. I'm getting more and more irritated by lack of any real documentation though traffic on pdaphonehome is picking up a bit and I suspect there will be help there more than anything.

I few very annoying quirks:

the FN key doesn't indicate if on or off and it's use is quite quirky. I keep getting FN keys when I don't want them.

sliding the keyboard open and closed isn't as "painless" as I had imagined. It's a bit annoying, but tolerable.

It's only a CM wider but feels like an inch.

There's nowhere to grab it out of the holster without pressing a damn button.

battery life is still under investigation and i'm a bit concerned...
    Kenn, I was pondering on your thoughts, if you thought about switching over to the treo 650?
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyen23464
    Kenn, I was pondering on your thoughts, if you thought about switching over to the treo 650?

"Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyen23464
    I'm getting closer to that point. I can't get anything to download and install. I've tried two different apps and they both tell me they aren't valid pocket pc apps but they are the same ones everyone else is downloading (i think).

documentation is CRAP! There isn't anything to help me through my technical troubles! The CD is came with is positively WORTHLESS. There aren't any help files. For all of it's limitations, palm OS is SIMPLE to use and SIMPLE to install software.

I'm literally within moments of blowing my freaking top and packing this thing up and waiting on a 650. There is NO DOUBT this is a powerful little machine, but damn, does it have to be this hard? I spent two hours this morning trying to get imap figured out and working only to discover that there is an issue that doesnt appear to be resolvable and I'll have to go back to POP.

i must admit, though, the screen is VERY appealing and i've not yet made the decision, but i am really ,really close to calling it quits on the ppc6601.
    Kenn,

Have you ever worked with a PPC device before? It sounds like you are just on a learning curve. I have never seen or heard of a PPC (or any) device being so difficult to learn. Either this is relatively new to you, or you have lemon and should swap it out. It should function like all other PPC devices, and have extra functions for phone. Not very difficult or challenging. Programs should download and install similar to your desktop computer on windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    Kenn,

Have you ever worked with a PPC device before? It sounds like you are just on a learning curve. I have never seen or heard of a PPC (or any) device being so difficult to learn. Either this is relatively new to you, or you have lemon and should swap it out. It should function like all other PPC devices, and have extra functions for phone. Not very difficult or challenging. Programs should download and install similar to your desktop computer on windows.
    I agree here, something is weird.

I find the PPC to be soooo much easier than Palm OS. ActiveSync is a piece of cake. Just install, and put your phone in the cradle. How hard is that?

Installing applications is easy too. Just run the program (on your PC) and choose where to install it. Not sure where the struggle is.

I have never seen ActiveSync crash before. Thats a new one.

Syncing with your email provider can always be a challange. Should be identicle to your Treo here.
    One more thing. You must use PPC applications, NOT SMARTPHONE. Also, you must get applications that are compatible with PPC 2003.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    I agree here, something is weird.

I find the PPC to be soooo much easier than Palm OS. ActiveSync is a piece of cake. Just install, and put your phone in the cradle. How hard is that?

Installing applications is easy too. Just run the program (on your PC) and choose where to install it. Not sure where the struggle is.

I have never seen ActiveSync crash before. Thats a new one.

Syncing with your email provider can always be a challange. Should be identicle to your Treo here.
    somehow active synce corrupted my temp directory in windows... I finally got the issue cleared up and I have a clean activesync installed and I've installed voice command. yes, it is a learning curve. I'm palm'd since the days of the palm III. I've only played a little with PPC so yes, it's a learning curve, but things just don't seem that intuitive to me. I guess having used symbian and palm devices for so long that it's a whole new experience. I do like all the nifty gagets and features but keep in mind that a person coming from heavy palm usage is in for a real awakening....

regardless, i'm beginning to figure out how it works, quirks, etc. and will figure out how to deal with each.

How is your battery life? I left the office on 100% charge and toyed with it at a bar -- no internet, just a couple of 10 minute calls, some handwriting recognition tuning for transcribing, and a little poking around the OS. In that hour of on and off playing around, I burned 20% of the battery. Does this sound about right? If I keep this device, I'm going to really miss the treo's GSM battery life. I literally charge it every couple of days at most and I use the heck out of the phone.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    by the way, farzonal, where would be your preferred forum for me to post technical questions? I'm sure there are others out there that would appreciate the Q&A for help and it seems you've really put the device through it's paces...

i guess i should add there are numerous threads going on at pdaphonehome.com which could use your expertise

thx

ken
    Last edited by kenn; 11/12/2004 at 09:28 PM.