1.    #1  
    I've been one of those who has been on the fence as far as the 650 or the PPC6600. But last night I got to looking at the dimensions of the 6600 and it's width is just about equal to my old Treo 300 plus it's a couple of inches longer. I kept remembering how much I used to hate talking on the 300 because it seemed like I was holding a brick to my ear. That made up my mind right there. Even though I really do like the PPC platform, I just love the form factor and ease of use of the Treo 600 to go to anything any larger.
    What is the difference when the 300 is flipped open? I would think that the PPC would have a signficant advantage in that department, although I could be wrong.

I too am on the fence.
    This appears to be the sentiment of many on this board including some who purchased the PDA2k and are missing the "feel" of Treo.
    I have many friends who have Ipaqs and they love to clown the limitations of my Treo and the PalmOS platform. But they tend to carry two devices(one cell phone &Pda) and those Ipaqs, while they pack a lot of goodies, just don't cut it for me. Too big, Too young-oriented, no keyboard/5way navigation and PPC I totally dislike. The Imate pda2k has amazing capabilities but the form-fqctor sucks, a slide-out keyboard, non removable battery(wifi eats power, dude!)and just no sex appeal like our beloved Treos. Of course there are things I dislike about the 600 and 650 but at least it looks like a phone! That's ultimately what we want. A compact convergence device that isn't screaming "look at me" everytime you walk outside: a device that does everything well with an emphasis on good phone call and receive. I know we don't have our ideal phone yet but with the Treo line we're close.
    Well, both phones support bluetooth, so using a headset is more than viable. . . which is what I plan on doing.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I don't agree with everything said. From the dimensions I've seen it's not a heck of a lot bigger than the 600/650. It's doesn't have the same "look" as the 600/650 (sex appeal? hehe I'm not dating my phone...). From the pics I see, it realy isn't huge (until the keyboard is slid out). Here are some comparison shots in this thread at howardforums: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=480707

However, the one big issue for me with the 650 is that they did not fix the "Page too large" error in Blazer. A less critical issue is the smaller screen size. I like to convert movies to view. only a 4:3 show can fill the treo screen, a letterboxed movie is even smaller. On the PPC in landscape mode, you get a bigger picture and filling more (if not all) of the screen.

I'm still on the fence as the Treo has the edge on the phone app and sharper camera image.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600kings
    The Imate pda2k has amazing capabilities but the form-fqctor sucks, a slide-out keyboard, non removable battery(wifi eats power, dude!)and just no sex appeal like our beloved Treos.
    As a Treo 300/600 to PDA2k convert, I need to respond. Where did you get the idea that the PDA2k has a nonremovable battery? That is certainly not the case at all. The PDA2k battery IS removable, and the battery itself is so thin and light weight as to be a marvel in and of itself. As for the slide-out keyboard, I don't rate that as a negative by any stretch of the imagination. I LOVE the fact that the keyboard can be tucked away when its not needed. Pulling out the keyboard is so easy . . . after a few days of practice, it can be done w/one hand and in half a second. I also really like the fact that I have so many data entry options available on the PDA2k. In addition to the slide-out keyboard, there is the on-screen keyboard PLUS the option of on-screen handwriting (and as a long-time user of both Palm and MS devices, I've always thought that the MS handwriting recogition application kicked Graffiti's *** up and down the court).

I think that the person who likened the PDA2k to a closed Treo300 made a very accurate comparision -- especially since they both sport the same roundish edges and are similarly colored. But when the 300 is opened, it is MUCH bigger than the PDA2k.

After deciding to make the change, I was quite worried about how big the PDA2k would feel, but it really hasn't been much of an issue at all. It is slightly bigger than the T600, but for some reason, it is MUCH, MUCH more comfortable to use as a phone than the T600. I can't really explain it other than to say that it just feels better against my ear. Perhaps it has something to do with the really small "sweet spot" on the T600; i.e. when holding the T600 to your ear, the sound stinks unless you get the speaker just right (at least, that was always my experience). The "sweet spot" on the PDA2k is much larger.

The only thing I'm missing after the change is the ability to perform everyday tasks with one-hand. The Treo excelled in this area. While some users have reported that the PDA2k can be customized to do this (with various unidentified applications), I still haven't determined this to be true and reallly miss the functionality of my Treo 5-way nav. button.

Besides the one-handed operation, I really have to say I love everything about the PDA2k. The huge screen is great -- it completely changes the experience of using web browsers, RSS readers, spreadsheets, word docs, playing games . . . everything. Haven't used Bluetooth at all, but the Wi-Fi has been wonderful, both at home and on the road. The ability of the Windows OS to multitask is a huge bonus -- I can work on a word document, take a call and then return to web-surfing without missing a beat. Also love the built in Java and voice recorder, the giant available memory, etc., etc.

Overal, you can't really go wrong with either device. As I indicated in other posts, I still love the Treo line, but just simply wasn't blown away enough by the 650 to justify a pricey upgrade. As I said before, If I'm going to spend 500+ bucks on a gadget, I should be salivating at the thought of the UPS box arriving at my door. Simply put, the PDA2k got my motor running, whereas the 650 didn't. I'm sure things would've been different if I'd never owned a Treo before, but that wasn't the case.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by davpel
    As a Treo 300/600 to PDA2k convert, I need to respond. Where did you get the idea that the PDA2k has a nonremovable battery? That is certainly not the case at all. The PDA2k battery IS removable, and the battery itself is so thin and light weight as to be a marvel in and of itself. As for the slide-out keyboard, I don't rate that as a negative by any stretch of the imagination. I LOVE the fact that the keyboard can be tucked away when its not needed. Pulling out the keyboard is so easy . . . after a few days of practice, it can be done w/one hand and in half a second. I also really like the fact that I have so many data entry options available on the PDA2k. In addition to the slide-out keyboard, there is the on-screen keyboard PLUS the option of on-screen handwriting (and as a long-time user of both Palm and MS devices, I've always thought that the MS handwriting recogition application kicked Graffiti's *** up and down the court).

I think that the person who likened the PDA2k to a closed Treo300 made a very accurate comparision -- especially since they both sport the same roundish edges and are similarly colored. But when the 300 is opened, it is MUCH bigger than the PDA2k.

After deciding to make the change, I was quite worried about how big the PDA2k would feel, but it really hasn't been much of an issue at all. It is slightly bigger than the T600, but for some reason, it is MUCH, MUCH more comfortable to use as a phone than the T600. I can't really explain it other than to say that it just feels better against my ear. Perhaps it has something to do with the really small "sweet spot" on the T600; i.e. when holding the T600 to your ear, the sound stinks unless you get the speaker just right (at least, that was always my experience). The "sweet spot" on the PDA2k is much larger.

The only thing I'm missing after the change is the ability to perform everyday tasks with one-hand. The Treo excelled in this area. While some users have reported that the PDA2k can be customized to do this (with various unidentified applications), I still haven't determined this to be true and reallly miss the functionality of my Treo 5-way nav. button.

Besides the one-handed operation, I really have to say I love everything about the PDA2k. The huge screen is great -- it completely changes the experience of using web browsers, RSS readers, spreadsheets, word docs, playing games . . . everything. Haven't used Bluetooth at all, but the Wi-Fi has been wonderful, both at home and on the road. The ability of the Windows OS to multitask is a huge bonus -- I can work on a word document, take a call and then return to web-surfing without missing a beat. Also love the built in Java and voice recorder, the giant available memory, etc., etc.

Overal, you can't really go wrong with either device. As I indicated in other posts, I still love the Treo line, but just simply wasn't blown away enough by the 650 to justify a pricey upgrade. As I said before, If I'm going to spend 500+ bucks on a gadget, I should be salivating at the thought of the UPS box arriving at my door. Simply put, the PDA2k got my motor running, whereas the 650 didn't. I'm sure things would've been different if I'd never owned a Treo before, but that wasn't the case.

David
    Hey dave. I have had the chance to figure out just about everything one handed on the PDA2k. Send me a PM with your email, I would be happy to help you get setup one handed with the pda2k. I am trying to put together some sort of one-handed FAQ anyway. This way you could help me make it more complete.
    quote: As a Treo 300/600 to PDA2k convert, I need to respond. Where did you get the idea that the PDA2k has a nonremovable battery? That is certainly not the case at all. The PDA2k battery IS removable, end quote:

oops! My bad! A friend of mine just copped one and I see that it does have a detachable battery. I still wouldn't buy one and stay in this forum bragging about how my non-Treo phone is much better. Wrong forum! Even if you have both, most of us will buy the 650 anyway so it just pains me to see us being almost taunted by ppc users and that's why I come down hard on them. It's trolling on their part. They belong in another forum (all handhelds).
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600kings
    quote:
    oops! My bad! A friend of mine just copped one and I see that it does have a detachable battery. I still wouldn't buy one and stay in this forum bragging about how my non-Treo phone is much better. Wrong forum! Even if you have both, most of us will buy the 650 anyway so it just pains me to see us being almost taunted by ppc users and that's why I come down hard on them. It's trolling on their part. They belong in another forum (all handhelds).
    Okay, I'm still not following your logic. This forum is entitled, "Other Handhelds, Phones and Smartphones" so how can this possibly be the wrong forum?????

Second, this is not an "us" versus "them" argument, as you imply. As I've indicated ad nauseum, I have been a loyal Treo enthusiast since the day the 300 came out, and I bought the 600 a week before Handspring made it available -- I'd actually guess that I'm probably a more veteran Treo user than you and most of the people throwing out the "troll" word around here. A comparison b/n my TC "member since" date and yours, Tre600Kings, would seem to call into question your whole "troll" argument, wouldn't it now?

Third, I'm so damn sick of the "troll" word being tossed about anytime someone either (a) mentions something bad about the Treo or (b) refers to something good about another device. It is just juvenile and idiotic. Those of us TC regulars who have switched to the Blue Angle/Harrier/PDA2k/ whatever have been carefull to point out all of the negatives and positives of both devices and have explained in detail why we made the change, etc., etc. Sorry if this has all gone over your head, Treo600kings -- didn't mean to make this too complex for you!

And I would hasten to add that this is EXACTLY the type of discussion which belongs in this forum, for two reasons:

1) There are presumably hundreds of Treo diehards like myself who, with the impending release of the 650, are faced with the same questions: whether to keep the 600, upgrade to the 650 or try looking to some other device. Why not make as much information available as possible so that everyone can make a informed, well-studied decision. Sure, you can go other places to read about the PDA2k, like HoFo, but who better to compare a device to the Treo than other Treo diehards.

2) I think it is well-documented that people from Palm spend time here. As a former (and possibly future) Treo user, I certainly would like them to what I like and don't like about their product, and what other companies have done differently. Isn't this one of the best ways to ensure that the Treo 700 (or whatever) is an improvement on the 650 and competitive with whatever I-Mate or some other company puts out?

If you don't want to hear what others are saying about the Blue Angel and only want to live in your little world where the 650 is the be-all and end-all, than stay in the 650 forum, ignore this thread, and keep your head in the sand.
    Last edited by davpel; 11/09/2004 at 02:21 PM.
    Well, not to jump into the fray....well at least before checking to see if the coast is clear... but I happen to enjoy the added information of other devices. I too have been a loyal treo supporter since the days of the 300. I immediately jumped on the 600 bandwagon 2 days before release (good relations with Sprint). But now, I am wondering what to do.

On one hand- I love the form factor of the 600, sure the sweet-spot with the ear hole can be a pain, and tapping the home button with only one hand led to a drop of the phone, but I have grown accustomed to it. I also have made (at least to me) a sizeable investment into 3rd party apps, which make me want to stay with Palm.

But....

The larger screen AND it goes into landsacape mode (probably one of my more favorite options). Heck, surfing the web would be so much better with this. Voice commands BUILT IN....yeah! Sure the res. is only 240 X 320......but it is still way better than 160 X 160. Heck, isn't that HiRes too?
    Multi-tasking? I didn't even know about this until reading some of the earlier posts. The list keeps growing.

Honestly, I have no idea what my next device is. I do admit that I am a bit disappointed in the 650....not at Palm mind you, but at myself for getting my hopes up. Actually if I hadn't read (and yes, believed) all of the rumors I would probably be jumping right on the pre-order train and be anxiously awaiting my new toy. Call me a more informed consumer....isn't that what we are supposed to be? I personally am glad that I actually have a choice.

I will just have to wait until I see them both in person. Until then, if you see a thread that you don't agree with and can't keep your input informative and friendly, please go here www.happytreefriends.com. This is sure to brighten your day. Troll comments add nothing but frustration and mean spirit to the group.

To the rest, keep up the good work and keep your minds open.
    I have to agree with your sentiments Davpel All this open talk and discussion about other devices is healthy
    I agree with you also davpel. Thanks to you and the others for sharing this info.

One suggestion though? Deep breaths man, deep breaths.
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    ditto
    I am completely new to smart phones, never had a palm or ppc, so I cannot express how helpful it has been to hear all the views on all the options. I have been swinging back and forth from the Treo 650 to the PPC6600 so many times, after each solid review of each. The more I hear about both, the more informed my choice can be. I cannot afford to buy both, try both, sell one, keep one. I get one shot, one device, one carrier, then you probably won't even hear from me for a long time.

I just need to make the best decision for me. Right now, it sounds like the PPC will be better since the Treo seems so restricted, crippled, and limited in so many ways compared to the PPC. I do need wi-fi, and I know that completely baffles many of you Palm users, and that is likely because you have had to make do without such a novel technology for so long. I can't believe PalmOne left the whole wi-fi issue out of the Treo 600, and now to repeat it for the 650, and now to talk about some appendage wi-fi thing hanging off the port that I have to remember to carry with me, as a "fix" for their neglect to wi-fi...I find that so stupid.

I read a review of the T5 yesterday on eweek and the raved about it, but said the lack of wi-fi completely pops their excitement bubble. How could P1 leave wi-fi out of the T5? Seems very short-sighted.

Oh, there are many more issues than wi-fi and I think they have been covered quite well. I appreciate you guys (and gals) so much. Please keep the comments, reviews, complaints, raves coming.