Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Audiovox 6601/Cu 928 is a nice device...I just wouldn't get it over the GSM version XDA III etc... Besides I'm getting the X50v anyways!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Good Morning Nguyen...

How was your first night with your new instrument of global communication? Silence is kind of scary. Did it crash? Maybe you have merged with the technology and are glued to the screen, searching the world via wi-fi, gathering top-secret information about the next Treo.

We are eager to hear about your experience last night (with your phone).
  3.    #23  
    Ok guys, I had to chance to play with the pda2k for a few hours last night.

Size/Weight
    No big at all. People have been putting down this device way too much. I have made a few calls with the phone and it feels very very natural up to your ear. Believe it or not, it feels better than when I had the treo 600. The phone fits natural against your palm. And it is very light! I still have my treo 600 so I put them right next to each other for kicks. Heres the kicker, when sized up next to each other, when you add the antenna of the 600 the 6601 is acutally shorter than the 600. The 6601 is shorter, thinner, and it feels lighter than the 600!!!! So you can imagine how it stack ups against the 650.

Usage
    Ok, I spent most of the night trying to learn Microsofts layout, and assign buttons and shortcuts, to make life easier for myself. For people who were skeptical like me, of switching from Palm OS to Microsoft. Listen to this, Do It!!! Dont get me wrong, the Palm does have a simplier format. But after learning the Microsoft's OS a bit. I will never go back. Everything is better about it. After you assign shortcuts for yourself, I feel like I have been missing out when I had the Palm OS. It is so much more powerful. Using Excel is great also, the screen takes the strain away. Its like upgrading from MSDos to windows. Its a whole new world, but once you learn it its GREAT!

Multimedia
    OMG!! All I have to say is the big screen is a god given gift. Watching Movies you can imagine is no comparison. I feel like actually watching the movie all the way through when on the 6601. The screen is very clear, and bright. I do miss the extra keys right next to the 5 way direction the 600 had though. I have to get used to sliding out the key board. I think theres a way I can assign the phone keys on the front when in OS mode though, have not figured it out yet. But to my surprise, I dont even use the keyboard as much as I thought as I would. And when I need it, I slide it right out. I think the slide out keyboard is the one of the best thing on this device. Having the big screen and losing the front keyboard, but still having the option to slide it out, is the best innovation on a device.
    Playing games, I have played a few games on it. Games that use the stylus are awesome. The high resolution and big screen make it a joy.
    I have Kalemsoft's Nesem and gizmo installed. Oh jeez, unfortunatly to me, this is a big no no. I play them like I had them on the 600. The button layouts are just no there.

Wifi/Bluetooth
    Lack of Wifi doesnt bother me a bit. I have not bought a wifi card yet, but I intend to. I currently am using sprint's vison plan, and I love it. To me it seems to connect a bit faster to sprint's connection a bit faster than my 600 did. Web pages are a breeze to browse due to the big screen. And when I need to type something I just slide out the keyboard.
    Bluetooth, this is also good. I do not have a headset yet so I cannot tell you guys the details on that. What I can say is that, its awesome being able to sync to my bluetooth laptop. Its one of my favorite features. I know theres a way to connect to my laptop wifi connection, but I havent it out yet.

Conclusion
    I believe this is the best device ever. With its combination of its big screen, and slide out keyboard I will never go back to the 600 or 650. I do not see how people can ever buy the 650 after using the 6601. I think too many people are die hard treo fans. They need to go to a sprint store and try this device out and they will see the light.

I hope this helps.
    Oh Nguyen. Thanks for the review. Man, you just made my life more difficult...again. I thought I had decided on the Treo 650 because people were cutting down the keyboard, saying it is harder to type, harder for one-hand operation, the slider was scratching the bottom of the unit, the 6601 was larger, etc.

Please try out the wi-fi for me soon, and also, please try to get a sense of the battery life, and the speed of internet browsing via Sprint's vision service. I know some of these have been covered, but it seems you are as new to this side of the world as I am, and it helps so much to hear yet another opinion.

Thank you so much. I look forward to hearing more when you have time to play and write.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    Oh Nguyen. Thanks for the review. Man, you just made my life more difficult...again. I thought I had decided on the Treo 650 because people were cutting down the keyboard, saying it is harder to type, harder for one-hand operation, the slider was scratching the bottom of the unit, the 6601 was larger, etc.

Please try out the wi-fi for me soon, and also, please try to get a sense of the battery life, and the speed of internet browsing via Sprint's vision service. I know some of these have been covered, but it seems you are as new to this side of the world as I am, and it helps so much to hear yet another opinion.

Thank you so much. I look forward to hearing more when you have time to play and write.

Onehanded. Well this is true to those who have small hands I guess. But me, I can easily type with one hand. The wieght distrubition when you hold it with one hand is good also. The screen is of course super light, while the heavy base sits in your palm. This causes a good comfort when you type. It also looks cool also hehe. The keyboard no way shape or form scratches the bottom of the unit. The keyboard slides out very suprisingly smoothly. I will indeed try out the wifi. I plan to buy a wifi card this weekend. I must admit, that when talking about battery life, I find that my treo 600 is better. But dont get me wrong, the 6601's battery life isnt horrible either. I hope it can get me through the whole day with a single charge.
    Internet browsing is awesome. Its faster than my treo 600 and looks way superior, due to the large screen. Theres even a shortcut button built into the keyboard just to access the internet. The buttons even have little bubble buttons that stick out for easier usability when pressing keys.
    It seems like you and me are on the same level when choosing pda's. I loved my treo 600 and it still looks sexy. But I'm out for the best device there is. And this seems to take the cake. I am still planning to check out the 650 when it comes out. But the 6601 is gonna be hard to beat.
    I would advise people to wait on preordering and see both devices in hand before choosing.

This is what I think, If you want the best ease of use I think maby the treo 650 might when by a hair and I do mean a hair. But if you want entertainment, multimedia, easier web browsing. Then the 6601 is the one for you.
    Nguyen,

About the bubble buttons...do you think they will eventually "pop" or rub off, or crack, blister, in some way?
  7.    #27  
    Nguyen,

About the bubble buttons...do you think they will eventually "pop" or rub off, or crack, blister, in some way?

No way. They look very solid and almost seemed infused with the button. Crack and blister? I hope not. lol
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Great short review, Nguyen.

A couple of important questions though:
    1) When receiving a call, is it possible to silence the phone without completely rejecting the incoming call?

2) I know you've only had it for a very short while, but have you tried the alarms, making sure they all fire at the set hour (i.e. the old WM alarm bug)?
    Last edited by hduty; 11/10/2004 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Added a question
    Nguyen, I have a very important question regarding Sprint. Did you have to change your vision plan because you are using a Microsoft device. I've heard on some other threads that there were different plans for Palm and WindowsMobileOS. I am considering this device but if the data plan has to change, I might stick with Palm. Please confirm this.
    Also, if you know, when will the 6600 camera version be released. Thx, and good review!
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by hduty
    Great short review, Nguyen.

A couple of important questions though:
    1) When receiving a call, is it possible to silence the phone without completely rejecting the incoming call?

2) I know you've only had it for a very short while, but have you tried the alarms, making sure they all fire at the set hour (i.e. the old WM alarm bug)?
    Most definitly there are keys on the side that you can press. Also, no I havent set any alarms yet, but when I play with them I will let keep you updated. There is one tedious factor im running into right now though. Sometimes in a conversation I hear a beep and then the call just fades out. I wonder whats the deal, I'm gonna try to talk to a sprint rep today about the situation.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator-1
    Nguyen, I have a very important question regarding Sprint. Did you have to change your vision plan because you are using a Microsoft device. I've heard on some other threads that there were different plans for Palm and WindowsMobileOS. I am considering this device but if the data plan has to change, I might stick with Palm. Please confirm this.
    Also, if you know, when will the 6600 camera version be released. Thx, and good review!

Heres some good news for you guys. No, I did not have to change my vision plan, I wasnt even asked to. They offered me the standard $15 a month plan. I think its because most sprint reps do not even know anything about it.
    Regarding the 6600 that will be released the 2nd week of december. It will a included a camera with a built in flash.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Phone should be here today or tomorrow. Phone was 629 plus tax minus 150 rebate for a 2 year deal. Unlimited vision was 15 bucks with 100 free SMS messages per month. Handset protection was 5/month which i signed up for. They let me pick a phone number which was nice. I got 281 300 XXXX which was pretty good... I'll post my impressions compared to 600 as soon as I get it in hand.
    Awesome, Kenn. Have fun waiting those last few hours.

I am enjoying reading about everyone's out-of-the-box experience, and as you gain more experience with a new concept. Please keep posting any thoughts or experiences, good and bad.

I think I have decided to go with the PPC 6600, so I have to wait another month, but if I am going to get one device, I would like the little camera in it as well (for those spontaneous moments). I wish the wi-fi was built in like the GSM version, but I can live with a card. Can't wait to hear Nguyen's experience with his wi-fi card.

Nguyen: have you checked into the dropped call issue? That is very interesting.
  14.    #34  
    Awesome, Kenn. Have fun waiting those last few hours.

I am enjoying reading about everyone's out-of-the-box experience, and as you gain more experience with a new concept. Please keep posting any thoughts or experiences, good and bad.

I think I have decided to go with the PPC 6600, so I have to wait another month, but if I am going to get one device, I would like the little camera in it as well (for those spontaneous moments). I wish the wi-fi was built in like the GSM version, but I can live with a card. Can't wait to hear Nguyen's experience with his wi-fi card.

Nguyen: have you checked into the dropped call issue? That is very interesting.

Yes, I have. I fixed the problem by simply resetting the device. I guess it was just a fluke.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Thanks for your prompt reply Nguyen.

One more quick question:
    I read in another review that the reception isn't the best; when on the phone, people on the other end were complaining about poor sound quality.
    Have you run into this?

Thanks
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by hduty
    Thanks for your prompt reply Nguyen.

One more quick question:
    I read in another review that the reception isn't the best; when on the phone, people on the other end were complaining about poor sound quality.
    Have you run into this?

Thanks

No, not yet. So far the reception seems find. Sitting at 4 bars, and no body has complained on the other end.
    But before I had experieced a few dropped calls, preceded by a small beep.
    But after I reset the device it fixed the problem.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Can anyone verify that the 6601 will stream shoutcast/mp3 via the Windows Media app ?
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    there are other apps that will stream shoutcast and mp3 streaming just in case windows media won't but it would be nice. windows media 10 which is available soon for ppc phone edition can do it but requires download or upgradeable rom, but this would be nice "out of the box"
    Does anyone know if you can use this phone as a modem thru bluetooth (and laptop), like the 600 uses PDAnet?
    Quote Originally Posted by isayx3
    Does anyone know if you can use this phone as a modem thru bluetooth (and laptop), like the 600 uses PDAnet?
    You should. Its built right into the PDA2k (what I have). I was amazed how easy it was to use.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast