Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sprint is now taking order for the Audiovox PPC-6601

http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...lPcsPhones.jsp
    who cares? This is the treo forum not a PPC forum.. GRR wish people would quit trying to push other devices here..

<rant off>
    treo 90 > treo 300 > treo 600 > treo 650 > motorola Q > instinct > treo pro > Whats next???? PRE?
    Moved....
    Yes!!! Just came back from my sprint store and picked up my ppc-6601.
    They just got it in. Looks and feels great
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    nguyen,
    glad to hear that the models are trickling in to stores now... did you originally place your order through your local store or continue calling around to see which ones had it in stock?
    sledgie
    Nguyen: Details ASAP please!!!

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    All ears and eyes on you, Nguyen. Wi-fi? Please.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    just to clarify, the cdma version which contains evdo chipset does NOT have wifi inside, this has been discussed many times, and is partly because with the rollout of evdo they replaced the wifi option with it - evdo speeds will eventually be as fast or faster than wifi, so what's the point? gsm version of the phone went for wifi instead, but lacked edge. I just hate seeing ppl still ask if the sprint/verizon version will have wifi included - it won't. however, you CAN use the sandisk wifi or 256mb + wifi SD card with this unit - and that can be bought between $70-$110 new. a lot can be accomplished with this phone pda.. and the screen size coming off a treo is FABULOUS.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    just to clarify, the cdma version which contains evdo chipset does NOT have wifi inside, this has been discussed many times, and is partly because with the rollout of evdo they replaced the wifi option with it - evdo speeds will eventually be as fast or faster than wifi, so what's the point? gsm version of the phone went for wifi instead, but lacked edge. I just hate seeing ppl still ask if the sprint/verizon version will have wifi included - it won't. however, you CAN use the sandisk wifi or 256mb + wifi SD card with this unit - and that can be bought between $70-$110 new. a lot can be accomplished with this phone pda.. and the screen size coming off a treo is FABULOUS.
    Sledgie, we are all FULLY aware that is DOES NOT come with wi-fi built in and I don't think anyone has asked again if it does. We would like to know if a wi-fi card will actually work with the sprint 6601. Sure, you claim in your posting that a sandisk card will work, and can be bought...BUT have you actually tried it? Has anyone tried to see if a wi-fi CARD will work in the Sprint cdma 6601? That is the questions plain and clear.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    ahh ok, I thought u were asking if wifi was included, rbright. my apologies.
    So Sledgie, the PPC-6601 is definitely EVDO capable?? That may change my course.

Bob Duckworth
    the ppc6000/6601 are EVDO capable phones, ther has been talk however that sprint will disable the hardware through software.

speculated reasons:
    -Sprint wants to use evdo with the pcmcia pcs connection cards, since evdo is data only this is reasonable.

-Sprint hasn't rolled evdo out yet so they don't want phones that support what isn't there causing problems.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    it has the hardware. whether its enabled is the question, only way to find out is if someone in one of the select cities where evdo is being tested tries using it
    I just walked into the store and I asked, and fortunatly they had it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    Nguyen: Details ASAP please!!!

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth

Ok guys, I had to chance to play with the pda2k for a few hours last night.

Size/Weight
    No big at all. People have been putting down this device way too much. I have made a few calls with the phone and it feels very very natural up to your ear. Believe it or not, it feels better than when I had the treo 600. The phone fits natural against your palm. And it is very light! I still have my treo 600 so I put them right next to each other for kicks. Heres the kicker, when sized up next to each other, when you add the antenna of the 600 the 6601 is acutally shorter than the 600. The 6601 is shorter, thinner, and it feels lighter than the 600!!!! So you can imagine how it stack ups against the 650.

Usage
    Ok, I spent most of the night trying to learn Microsofts layout, and assign buttons and shortcuts, to make life easier for myself. For people who were skeptical like me, of switching from Palm OS to Microsoft. Listen to this, Do It!!! Dont get me wrong, the Palm does have a simplier format. But after learning the Microsoft's OS a bit. I will never go back. Everything is better about it. After you assign shortcuts for yourself, I feel like I have been missing out when I had the Palm OS. It is so much more powerful. Using Excel is great also, the screen takes the strain away. Its like upgrading from MSDos to windows. Its a whole new world, but once you learn it its GREAT!

Multimedia
    OMG!! All I have to say is the big screen is a god given gift. Watching Movies you can imagine is no comparison. I feel like actually watching the movie all the way through when on the 6601. The screen is very clear, and bright. I do miss the extra keys right next to the 5 way direction the 600 had though. I have to get used to sliding out the key board. I think theres a way I can assign the phone keys on the front when in OS mode though, have not figured it out yet. But to my surprise, I dont even use the keyboard as much as I thought as I would. And when I need it, I slide it right out. I think the slide out keyboard is the one of the best thing on this device. Having the big screen and losing the front keyboard, but still having the option to slide it out, is the best innovation on a device.
    Playing games, I have played a few games on it. Games that use the stylus are awesome. The high resolution and big screen make it a joy.
    I have Kalemsoft's Nesem and gizmo installed. Oh jeez, unfortunatly to me, this is a big no no. I play them like I had them on the 600. The button layouts are just no there.

Wifi/Bluetooth
    Lack of Wifi doesnt bother me a bit. I have not bought a wifi card yet, but I intend to. I currently am using sprint's vison plan, and I love it. To me it seems to connect a bit faster to sprint's connection a bit faster than my 600 did. Web pages are a breeze to browse due to the big screen. And when I need to type something I just slide out the keyboard.
    Bluetooth, this is also good. I do not have a headset yet so I cannot tell you guys the details on that. What I can say is that, its awesome being able to sync to my bluetooth laptop. Its one of my favorite features. I know theres a way to connect to my laptop wifi connection, but I havent it out yet.

Conclusion
    I believe this is the best device ever. With its combination of its big screen, and slide out keyboard I will never go back to the 600 or 650. I do not see how people can ever buy the 650 after using the 6601. I think too many people are die hard treo fans. They need to go to a sprint store and try this device out and they will see the light.

I hope this helps.
    Just got mine too!

First impression... It is very solidly built. The Windows OS is a lot different than palm and since I am so used to my T600... it'll take me a little while to get used to the MS schema. I will post more after I am familar with it.
    Wow, Wolfbeast. GREAT! Please tell us more when you can. Do you have a wi-fi card? In what city do you live?

Any news when the camera version will come out?
    Wolfbeast and Nguyen:

Thanks guys for all the details. I suppose the question for me now is SPCS or wait for GSM carriers to glom onto the PPC 6600. I'm thinking about making a jump to a GSM carrier for a lot of reasons. SPCS will see this as a BIG jump as I use a ton of their services. We'll see what happens in the near future.

Thanks again,

Bob Duckworth
    Bob,

Do you have problems with SPCS? What are your reasons for jumping to GSM?

When I look at Phonescoop, I don't even see a GSM model of this available.

I wonder when the 6600 will come out (with Camera).
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    did you get them at sprint retail stores? i've called the stores around here (houston area) and they haven't even HEARD of it much less have it in stock.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast