Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    I don't think you would actually be talking on the phone with the keyboard slid out. The real comparison is the keyboard slid inside, with the T650 to the tip of the nub as you would likely use it for talking.

Both are smartphones, the PPC seems to be a whole lot smarter, while the T650 tries to only look smarter. Like the football player who buys some black horn rimmed glasses and sits next to the class geek.
    If that is the case, how exactly do you propose dialing with out thumbing the screen or breaking out the stylus BOTH of which go against the concept of being a "smart" phone.
    Maybe if one makes only 2-3 calls a day one can be nice and dainty and make those 3 calls a real pleasure on this one. Not the medium to heavy cell phone user.
    Don't get me wrong. I am not blindly supporting Pa1mOne. When the new MPx comes out I will be giving that one a HARD look becasue it has a key ingredient missing in the PPC 6601 - FORM FACTOR!!
    I have detailed files.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treominator
    If that is the case, how exactly do you propose dialing with out thumbing the screen or breaking out the stylus BOTH of which go against the concept of being a "smart" phone.
    Maybe if one makes only 2-3 calls a day one can be nice and dainty and make those 3 calls a real pleasure on this one. Not the medium to heavy cell phone user.
    Don't get me wrong. I am not blindly supporting Pa1mOne. When the new MPx comes out I will be giving that one a HARD look becasue it has a key ingredient missing in the PPC 6601 - FORM FACTOR!!
    Actually, in my 2+ years with Treos, I almost always dialed by "thumbing the screen" (unless the number was in the speed dial and I could 5-way nav it, which is one of the Treo's best features). I always found the keyboard number keys to small to use effectively for dialing.

For what its worth, on the PDA2k I do 95% of my dialing with the keyboard slid in by using MS Voice Command, which really has been a revelation. When I made the change, I had no idea that VC even existed (it wasn't around when I owned my first Windows-based device, the Philips Nino, back in 99 or so). This app is so easy to use and really makes using the phone a breeze. Hopefully, the voice app for the new Treo will be just as good.

David
    OK, you know what, if you folks are going to be naive enough to compare lengths with the stub of an antenna than I would like comparisions made with the PPC's KEYBOARD EXTENDED TOO!!

Let me guess, you have taco bell burrito in one hand with the special sauce running down the fingers and you want to make a call you will either have to extend that gawd ugly keyboard to find the numbers or you can dab your juicy fingers right onto the palm screen.

The MAJOR reason the Treo works is because it can be used as a regular phone when needed and endure the dings of life. One Handed. Easily.

These two are not even a fair comparision. One is a huge PDA and the other is a s-m-a-r-t phone.
    But PDA2K operate slightly different than treo when making phone call, so keyboard needs isn't as prominent in PDA2K as in treo.

no doubt that PDA2K is bigger device but I doubt you have seen it in real live from how you describe it.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I think the new owners of the 6601 should post about the integration of PDA and phone. This is where the Treo has set itself above the rest.

Also, I was wondering if either of the posters can speak to their experience with e-mail or possibly VNC / MobileTS. Chat ? Anything besides surfing ?

I've just ordered the 650, but I've got at least two weeks to cancel my order.
    I don't think you would actually be talking on the phone with the keyboard slid out. The real comparison is the keyboard slid inside, with the T650 to the tip of the nub as you would likely use it for talking.

Both are smartphones, the PPC seems to be a whole lot smarter, while the T650 tries to only look smarter. Like the football player who buys some black horn rimmed glasses and sits next to the class geek.

Well put rbright. And to add, Who would be eating and talking at the same time in the first place? I'snt that kinda rude? lol

I have used the phone for a while now, and it feels very very natural. At first it seems a little wierd getting used to sliding out the keyboard and then sliding it back in to talk but its starting to become very natural to me now. Answering calls is also not a problem what so ever. There are dedicated answer/recieve buttons right in the front of the phone.
    Another thing the treo 600 did not have, was answer/recieve buttons right on he headset as well.
    You can even make speed dail calls without sliding out the keyboard, by assigning speed dial/or any shorcut buttons to the 4 hardware buttons built in front of the phone. This phone seems to have thought about it all. It seems like the treo is still a dinosaur when compared to this phone.

I have also tried typing emails with the palm already. I cannot tell you enough how much less of a strain it is when compared to the 600. This is where the combination of the large keyboard and big screen really shine.
    Last edited by nguyen23464; 11/10/2004 at 07:57 AM.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KKenna
    I think the new owners of the 6601 should post about the integration of PDA and phone. This is where the Treo has set itself above the rest.

Also, I was wondering if either of the posters can speak to their experience with e-mail or possibly VNC / MobileTS. Chat ? Anything besides surfing ?

I've just ordered the 650, but I've got at least two weeks to cancel my order.
    With respect to e-mail, at first I REALLY missed Snappermail. This was because the built in PPC e-mail application is sloooowww when downloading IMAP mail. Now, I've switched to a quasi-push application and am much more satisfied. Haven't used chat yet. Have my account set up for VNC, but haven't tried that yet either.
    Does the PPC 660x have RIM push technology? I read that the Siemans SX66 will have it. Is there any kind of Push technology available from Sprint for the PPC 660x?

Nguyen: Are you using yours for email send/receive yet? What program are you using, and how is your experience?

Thanks.
    Does the PPC 660x have RIM push technology? I read that the Siemans SX66 will have it. Is there any kind of Push technology available from Sprint for the PPC 660x?

Nguyen: Are you using yours for email send/receive yet? What program are you using, and how is your experience?

Thanks.
    I am currently using the standard email app. the phone came with. So far it seems pretty fine. Not the fastest, but I'm satisfied with it.
    I do think verichat is better though.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Thanks.
    Can't address the PPC 660x specifically, but I've heard that RIM is coming for the XDA line at least.

For my PDA2k, I'm currently beta testing Seven, which, of course, is availble to Sprint customers as "Sprint Business Connection."
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I agree completely. I'm currently evaluating the Verizon version (XV6600 Harrier) for my company, and I wouldn't give up my Treo for it, despite the fact that I love the Pocket PC OS and would switch back in a heartbeat if I could get the Treo form factor and ease of phone use. The Harrier is very heavy (7.5 oz), and using the phone with the keyboard out, I feel like I'm in one of those old 70's movies with the cordless bricks. I don't like thumbing the screen, so it's slide the keyboard out or use the stylus, and having to use the stylus for phone functions is totally bogus. The screen is beautiful, but I just can't get behind the rest of it.
    Talldog
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123