Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    rbright:

Moving to an area where SPCS doesn't have very good coverage and also starting to travel overseas for work more frequently. SPCS has been good for me in this country. But, I need a "world-capable" phone for those trips. The GSM versions are available at high costs from third parties. They are basically overseas carriers' phones imported into the US. No US GSM carrier yet carries this device to my knowledge. Wonder how long they might take to do so?

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    Wolfbeast and Nguyen:

Thanks guys for all the details. I suppose the question for me now is SPCS or wait for GSM carriers to glom onto the PPC 6600. I'm thinking about making a jump to a GSM carrier for a lot of reasons. SPCS will see this as a BIG jump as I use a ton of their services. We'll see what happens in the near future.

Thanks again,

Bob Duckworth
    No problem, always happy to post a helpful review. I hope the treo 650 lauches in sprint stores by the 15th. I want to exactly compare the 2 before making a permanent decision. So far the 6601 is gonna be hard to beat, very hard.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    nguyen,
    thanks for that write up. one question though, how fast is browser rendering on 6601 vs 600. when u load up cnn.com with the 600 (its about 1.45-2.30min to load all images in blazer) and time it with the 6601 until its complete? browsing will be very important to me especially if I don't have to buy 3rd party softeware like I did with xiino and web pro. I need to hear the total speed until the page is done completely loading the graphics. thanks in advance
    sledgie
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    nguyen,
    thanks for that write up. one question though, how fast is browser rendering on 6601 vs 600. when u load up cnn.com with the 600 (its about 1.45-2.30min to load all images in blazer) and time it with the 6601 until its complete? browsing will be very important to me especially if I don't have to buy 3rd party softeware like I did with xiino and web pro. I need to hear the total speed until the page is done completely loading the graphics. thanks in advance
    sledgie

So far the browsing seems faster than my treo 600. But I will have to clock it. Ill keep you posted
    nguyen,
    sledgie
    Great question, Sledgie, and are you using Sprint PCS as well for both?

I wish someone (maybe Nguyen) can also compare this time via wi-fi on the same phone (at least the 6601, I know Treo is crippled) to see what the comparison is also. (I know there are many variables involved, just curious to random test).
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    Great question, Sledgie, and are you using Sprint PCS as well for both?

I wish someone (maybe Nguyen) can also compare this time via wi-fi on the same phone (at least the 6601, I know Treo is crippled) to see what the comparison is also. (I know there are many variables involved, just curious to random test).

I will try once I have time. I am no expert or anything, unlike alot of these guys out there. But I will try to clock speed times. And yes I am using Sprint PCS.
    Thanks Nguyen. I am no expert either, just a laymen with a huge curiosity (and a bit of jealousy right now).

I appreciate every thought you have right now.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    yes, sorry if I wasn't more explicit. i'm asking directly about SprintPCS' vision - i'm not concerned with the speed of the download but how long the rendering is of explorer on the 6601. I have wanted to throw my treo against the wall so many times while loading web pages, simply because it takes more time to render the graphics than dial up, thus making vision browsing almost a waste without 3rd part browser or no images turned on
    sledgie
    My big non-seller of the 650 and why I am considering the PPC-6601.
    Hows the Vibrate?
    I'm deaf, so no sounds , but Vibrate is critical. And can it be assigned to other events besides the phone ringing?
    Also, has anybody discovered a Chatter-like push email app?
    Pete
    Discussion from the Chicago Roadshow this morning says the vibrate mode on the 650 is exactly the same as the 600, no changes. You might want to check the thread.
    yes, sorry if I wasn't more explicit. i'm asking directly about SprintPCS' vision - i'm not concerned with the speed of the download but how long the rendering is of explorer on the 6601. I have wanted to throw my treo against the wall so many times while loading web pages, simply because it takes more time to render the graphics than dial up, thus making vision browsing almost a waste without 3rd part browser or no images turned on
    sledgie

The web pages, are a tiny bit faster and I do mean tiny. But still slow to me, the only to overcome this is to get a wifi device or creat a better browser.
    To me it is bearable.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEMT
    Hows the Vibrate?
    I'm deaf, so no sounds , but Vibrate is critical. And can it be assigned to other events besides the phone ringing?

6601 vibrate mode is pretty good. Not the best vibrate on a phone I ever had but I think its better than the 600.
    I hope that helps
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    Thanks Nguyen. I am no expert either, just a laymen with a huge curiosity (and a bit of jealousy right now).

I appreciate every thought you have right now.

Thank your for your appreciation. Let me know if you guys have any more questions I can help with. Im not taking any sides of the 650 or 6601. I can return the device any time I want within 15 days. So I will tell you guys my honest opinions.
    How does the battery life feel? Paperwork that says what it will do and what he does are two different things as we all know...Can you go a whole day with moderate phone usage and fairly constant surfing ?

As is if my T600 is not plugged into anything during the day, by midnight when I get home usually its down the critical levels of battery life left.

Thanks in advance

I am a T600 user who was going with the T650 until I learned about 23 megs of ram on board and seemingly no upgrades on the Palm 5.4.1 Seems more like a patch job to me and then the rumors that Palm is looking into linux and MS for operationg systems, sounds like they might be giving up software.

Undoubtalble the T650 will be awesome, but I just dont want awesome, I want the best! LOL

Isaac
    Quote Originally Posted by yitzchakis1
    How does the battery life feel? Paperwork that says what it will do and what he does are two different things as we all know...Can you go a whole day with moderate phone usage and fairly constant surfing ?

As is if my T600 is not plugged into anything during the day, by midnight when I get home usually its down the critical levels of battery life left.

Thanks in advance

I am a T600 user who was going with the T650 until I learned about 23 megs of ram on board and seemingly no upgrades on the Palm 5.4.1 Seems more like a patch job to me and then the rumors that Palm is looking into linux and MS for operationg systems, sounds like they might be giving up software.

Undoubtalble the T650 will be awesome, but I just dont want awesome, I want the best! LOL

Isaac
    I was browsing, using bluetooth, etc..... A little more than average use.
    Looks like I will have to do before the day is over.
    There seems to be a real lack of information regarding the PPC-6601 on the web. Does anybody have some links to share that has some specific information?
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEMT
    Hows the Vibrate?
    Pete I am curious, With the mulitple vibrations that are programable in Chatter, that still did not solve the vibration issue? I love that about Chatter.
    Thanks for the response about the PPC's vibrate.

Chatter's multi-vibrate is great! I actually I have it set up so my Inbox is two vibrates and an IM is 3. But the problem is the Treo hardware itself, the Vibrate is weak enough that unless I am sitting down so the Treo is pressed against me, I usually don't feel it.
    Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyen23464
    Ok guys, I had to chance to play with the pda2k for a few hours last night.

Heres the kicker, when sized up next to each other, when you add the antenna of the 600 the 6601 is acutally shorter than the 600. The 6601 is shorter, thinner, and it feels lighter than the 600!!!! So you can imagine how it stack ups against the 650.
    OK, you know what, if you folks are going to be naive enough to compare lengths with the stub of an antenna than I would like comparisions made with the PPC's KEYBOARD EXTENDED TOO!!

Let me guess, you have taco bell burrito in one hand with the special sauce running down the fingers and you want to make a call you will either have to extend that gawd ugly keyboard to find the numbers or you can dab your juicy fingers right onto the palm screen.

The MAJOR reason the Treo works is because it can be used as a regular phone when needed and endure the dings of life. One Handed. Easily.

These two are not even a fair comparision. One is a huge PDA and the other is a s-m-a-r-t phone.
    I have detailed files.
    I don't think you would actually be talking on the phone with the keyboard slid out. The real comparison is the keyboard slid inside, with the T650 to the tip of the nub as you would likely use it for talking.

Both are smartphones, the PPC seems to be a whole lot smarter, while the T650 tries to only look smarter. Like the football player who buys some black horn rimmed glasses and sits next to the class geek.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast