Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I can't wait for you to get it and tell us all about it. I am so stuck on the fence right now. Please share your wifi experience, too.

Thanks.
    Sorry to post this question in a few places....but my hands are still shaking, because I just ordered the PPC6601 from Sprint! Nervous energy, I guess. But I got off the phone and realized I have a BIG question.

I ordered the unlimited internet plan. Do you need to have WiFi to access the Internet?? I don't undertand what Wifi does, I guess.

And does anyone know where you can order accessories like cases, etc.? Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by bobbdd; 11/06/2004 at 10:19 PM.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbdd
    Sorry to post this question in a few places....but my hands are still shaking, because I just ordered the PPC6001 from Sprint! Nervous energy, I guess. But I got off the phone and realized I have a BIG question.

I ordered the unlimited internet plan. Do you need to have WiFi to access the Internet?? I don't undertand what Wifi does, I guess.

And does anyone know where you can order accessories like cases, etc.? Thanks everyone!
    I am running really late tonight and will be on the road the next 2 days, so I don't have time to answer the wifi at the moment, but I am sure someone will in the forum. The bottom line is as long as you are not roaming, you can use the Sprint unlimited data. The Wifi is faster and can be used anywhere it is available and you are given access to it...either free or for a fee.

As for the cases and the accessories, I need to verify that the PDA2K CMDA version is compatible, if so there should be a lot of stuff out there already. I just haven't had a chance to look myself yet.

If anyone already knows about the accessories, please chime in.
    Hey Hobbes....

When you get a chance, clarify for me...did you order the ppc6600 or 6601?...(cameraless or with camers)...I thought Camer version would not be out until December....??

Thanks. Big help as I am on the fence as well.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhas
    Hey Hobbes....

When you get a chance, clarify for me...did you order the ppc6600 or 6601?...(cameraless or with camers)...I thought Camer version would not be out until December....??

Thanks. Big help as I am on the fence as well.
    I ordered the 6601 (withOUT the camera) for a couple reasons....I didn't want to wait another 4-6 plus weeks.....it is only a .3 megapixel so I am not out much....and the fact that more places are restricting any camera cell phones......plus the price difference will be $50-70, the price of a wifi SD card which I would use A LOT more than a low res camera. If it would have had 1 megapixel or higher, then I would have waited.

Again, I am treo fan, but the 650 just doesn't meet my needs compared to the 6600....I will still be looking forward to seeing what the 700 will bring our way.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I ordered the 6601 (withOUT the camera) for a couple reasons....I didn't want to wait another 4-6 plus weeks.....it is only a .3 megapixel so I am not out much....and the fact that more places are restricting any camera cell phones......plus the price difference will be $50-70, the price of a wifi SD card which I would use A LOT more than a low res camera. If it would have had 1 megapixel or higher, then I would have waited.

Again, I am treo fan, but the 650 just doesn't meet my needs compared to the 6600....I will still be looking forward to seeing what the 700 will bring our way.
    You are going to love the 6601. It will be a bit of a battle for the first few days... having to learn how todo what you did on the Treo.. on the PPC. The PPC favorites page will be a dissapointment, and learning how to dial contacts quickly.. will be different and somthing to get used to. But if you do like I did, I figured out the new way todo this and never looked back. This is one amazing product. Good luck, and keep us updated with your progress.

PS. You CAN do everything one handed, it just doesn't jump out at you. You have to take a bit of time to understand how todo it. Much like how we had to learn the Treo600 when it first came out.
    Will the Intellsync program take all of my Palm data to my new PPC desktop?
    With this thing can you go to NPR and stream an archived show (presumably with windows media). if that can be done I am going to dig further!
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    With this thing can you go to NPR and stream an archived show (presumably with windows media). if that can be done I am going to dig further!
    It's called podcasting. (basically make the machine download the show automatically so you can listen later. Fo ipod and other mp3 palyer it is done via desktop. But for PDA2K has a direct podcasting client for it already)

This has been around for a couple of month, google it.
    Reacting to first post:

I think this National Sales Manager is merely going by the current state of the 650. And indeed, in its current for BT is crippled (for Sprint) and it does not "support" WiFi. However, during the roadshow the CEO clearly mentioned that WiFi support will be worked on, and the product manager clearly stated in an interview that they WILL add BT DUN support to the Sprint model via a firmware update. It is likely that Sprint will require active users of that capability to pay more for their unlimited Vision plan.

So...yes...initially no WiFi and BT is crippled. But that is not a permanent thing perse.
    We hope it's not permanent. . . but the problem is that the track record isn't there. The 600 is sold as supporting third party wifi cards. . .but we all know that isn't true.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Does the Sprint 6601 support the BT DUN profile?
    I am interested in getting my hands on that 6601 to see what it is like.
    It just seems so big with the keyboard out.
    I hesitated with the treo 600 but it turned out to be just about the perfect size.
    Anything bigger has got to to be a pain....
    Any word about whether future versions will support EDGE on GSM networks?

The phone sounds usable, since I currently own an old Dell in addition to my Treo 600 (so can handle PPC). But when I change from Sprint early next year, I don't want to spend this kind of money again, and not get their current data network.
    Does anyone know the exact expected relase date of the ppc6601? Shouldnt be out already? I can wait to see one up close to decide between the 650 and 6601
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    there are a few sprint stores in tampa and atlanta that already have the 6601
    most people who ordered and have tracking number should have it early to mid week

call your local stores, some will have them later this week, some will have it between 15th of nov- dec.
    I read comments on Treo central along the lines of 'no way, it's a Pocket PC' as though Palm was way superior to Pocket PC. From my experience so far (just over a week of owning a GSM PDA2K) there is actually less difference than you might expect. Some things are better and some things aren't as good. On balance I think the Pocket PC OS is just as good as Palm (even after a year of getting used to the Treo 600). The are some bugs on the PDA2K, such as the bluetooth thing, but hopefully these will be sorted soon. My main problem has been trying to install software from a Mac. With fast wifi internet connection via my home network I was expecting to be able to download software directly onto the device. Unfortunately in many cases this isn't possible, the files are mostly .exe so must be downloaded to a PC and installed from there. I've looked for ways around this, even as far as trying to just find alternative software but it just isn't happening. I have realised already that there is just no way I'm going to manage. So, today I reluctantly ordered the Office 2004 Pro edition upgrade which will get be Virtual PC 7 which somes with Windows XP Pro. Unfortunately this has substantially added to my costs involved with gettig the PDA2K, but hopefully it will be worth it.

It would be nice if Pocket PC software became available more commonly to download direct to the device itself. Not just for Mac users, I'm sure it would be simpler for PC users too. With the ease of wifi connection it is now possible to download software direct to the device quickly, and without the cost of GPRS charges.
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo__baggins
    I read comments on Treo central along the lines of 'no way, it's a Pocket PC' as though Palm was way superior to Pocket PC. From my experience so far (just over a week of owning a GSM PDA2K) there is actually less difference than you might expect. Some things are better and some things aren't as good. On balance I think the Pocket PC OS is just as good as Palm (even after a year of getting used to the Treo 600). The are some bugs on the PDA2K, such as the bluetooth thing, but hopefully these will be sorted soon.

It would be nice if Pocket PC software became available more commonly to download direct to the device itself.
    1. only .cab can be installed direct into device. .exe actually contains .cab some installer. In a lot of software, it is trivial to run the .exe in any low end mac emulator, and transfer the .cab file manually into PPC skipping the hassle using 'Active sync'

2. or you can get mac sync apps such as pocket mac or missing sync. (far cheaper than owning a copy of XP) the low end of these are pretty good for installing apps.

3. some online store sells apps in .cab file (I think Handango does that)

4. for ease of use, you can get phone profiler. several of the high end one can act as little phone screener on top of profile manager. This greatly enhance the machine practicality. for eg. http://www.jgui.net/phoneprofiles/index.html (This is is pretty good, but still need to be updated for PDA2K

5. you can go to xda developer site. It has a lot of tips and free softwares to enhance i-mate. Including total cutom ROM sometimes.
    Last edited by suskind; 11/07/2004 at 03:28 PM.
    Greetings all. First of all, kudos to the webmasters at this site. I'm a total newbie to Pocket PC's, and was looking for information about the PPC-6601... and this thread is great. Extra kudos to all posting here, especially Hobbes.

Long story short - Kyocera 6035 locked up Friday night, pulled the battery and reinserted, and the phone was blank. Didn't have the Sprint logo anymore, no contacts, nothing.

Looked for phones online, and figured I'd replace the old Palm with a Treo 650... but then realized it I'd have to wait more than a week. Considered switching carriers, but it was QUITE a bit more for unlimited Internet and IM with AT&T.

Yesterday heard about the 6601 from a Sprint Business Employee. Tried finding the phone local for two days. Came home today and called Sprint back, and found someone who said I could order the phone... so I went for it.

Later, realized I hadn't ordered the protection plan for the phone. Called back, and another employee wasn't sure the phone was available. When she did realize it was in-stock, she saw my order was "in process" and she wasn't sure the phone would ship today or tomorrow. Needless to say that has me nervous. But she did add the protection plan.

My big question is just what comes with the Sprint PPC-6601? Sounds like it has a desktop charger, does it have some sort of carry case? And how does it feel in your hand using it as a phone? Obviously it's wider than many other phones, and one reviewer indicated it might not be comfortable over time. Any opinions from those here?

Sorry about the book, but thanks again for the great resource. I'll keep reading!!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123