Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39
  1. utey's Avatar
    Posts
    207 Posts
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
       #1  
    I donít have many posts. But as you can see I have been lurking on these boards a long time. I have had a Palm device since the original Palm.

    I currently have a 300. I really liked the first one, and did not mind when Sprint replaced it for free when the cover cracked (known issue).

    I am now on my third Treo and had to pay a $35 deductible to get a refurbed unit twice. I did not do anything to the phone, it just stopped working. Either the ringer volume stopped working on the screen stopped working. I waited until the 300 came down in price on Amazon $149 before I jumped. Even with my two deductibles I paid far less than many of you on these boards when the 300 first came out. Still, paying $35 extra per year to replace a phone is unreasonable. My two year contract expires 12/1. I was hoping the 600 would drop in price, under $200, or that Palm would have a few new Treo devices coming out. Didn't they say they were going to do that last year? Perhaps the 600 will drop much lower once the 650 starts shipping.

    I am disappointed that they have only come out with one new Treo and that it is priced for corporate buyers not the avg. consumer. $500!? Come on. I just can't justify $300 for a phone when there are many others that are much cheaper.

    My best friend just got a 600 after being envious of me for the past two years. He loved it for 45 days and now is getting aggravated with it. The phone just is not meeting his expectations for a $299 phone. It is an average phone combined with a good PDA. The 650 does not seem to be much of an upgrade over it, and the price is too high.

    The reason I am probably leaving the Treo is the price of the device. There are smart phones like the Audiovox smt5600 that are getting raves all over the net and it is close to free right now. In fact Amazon is giving +$25 in rebates right now.

    I am not saying I like the MS OS over Palm1's. I am saying that it is very tempting. I am sick of heading over to the sprint store and dealing with the reps and putting up with the headache of getting a new phone and sending back the broken phone after I pay them $35 on top of the monthly replacement fee. It just isn't worth it.

    After reading how the reliability of the 600 isnít much better, I donít think I want to go down that road anymore.
    Grace & Peace,

    utey
  2. #2  
    Bye, Bye. I do not think you have been reading enought!!!!!!!!!!!! There are so many things wrong in your thread that I am not going to point out what you don't know about the 650!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. jberger's Avatar
    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    #3  
    Concerned about reliablity UTEY chooses to go with a Microsoft product.
    Now, THAT's funny. . .
  4. #4  
    Why is it that people jump on other people when they say they don't want to do the Treo thing anymore? Is this the "Communist Empire of TreoCentral"? He wasn't being snotty or anything. He just doesn't think the phones are worth $300+ dollars. I do as I have learned to accept the gotchas of a converged device. But its not a crime to think the Treo isn't the best thing since sliced bread.
  5. #5  
    [QUOTE=utey]

    The reason I am probably leaving the Treo is the price of the device. There are smart phones like the Audiovox smt5600 that are getting raves all over the net and it is close to free right now. In fact Amazon is giving +$25 in rebates right now.

    QUOTE]


    The Audiovox smt5600 is truly an amazing unit. I had a chance to spend a day with one yesterday. The only bad thing I can say about it is that AT&T sucks....plain and simple, sucks. Damn shame because the 5600 is really, really, really good. An I say that having been a Palm bigot from the days of the US Robotics PALMPilot. Yes, T9 is the way that you do data entry on an MS Smartphone, but what I found is that I was up and flying on T9 in about the same time it had taken me to learn graffiti. Plus the 5600 is really small, nice enough to fit in your shirt pocket or elsewhere. The manufacturing quality is the best I've seen on any phone ever.

    I've used just about every software app on the Palm OS, but eventually come back to the core productivity applications of calendar, contacts, tasks (I use KeySuite because of the great Outlook sync capabilities), and email. the 5600 works like a charm on this.

    the 5600's camera isn't the best, but I'm not a real estate broker or someone who demands a very high quality camera. It's actually not bad in daylight, but I don't lose sleep over a phone camera.

    Unfortunately, I won't be going to the 5600.....like I said AT&T coverage sucks. I dropped 3 calls yesterday and also felt like I was talking on an old analog line. From all I've read this is probably a function of poor coverage in my area, as those who have raved about the audiovox have no major coverage issues. One more point, at&t unlimited data on the phone is $25/mo, more expensive than Sprint.....and you can't share your minutes when you get a 5600....that means I'd have to get another plan for my wife.

    Anyway, I'll probably get the Treo 650, which will give me 10-15% more productivity than the audiovox. But I will surely miss the 5600, even though I only had it for a day! hmm....$600 vs. -$25 for 10% more productivity.......
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    Concerned about reliablity UTEY chooses to go with a Microsoft product.
    Now, THAT's funny. . .

    Not a big M$ fan myself, but if the boys from Redmond keep getting manufacturers to build phones like the Smt5600, PalmSource, PalmOne are finished.
  7. jberger's Avatar
    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    #7  
    Dale,
    I wasn't jumping the guy over leaving the treo, I simply thought leaving over reliablity issues and moving to Microsoft was an interesting choice.
    I've had a ton of reliablity issues on my 180's and 270's, the build quality is simply awful. But Palm has now changed manufacturers (HTC) and the build quality should show a pronounced improvement.

    But moving to MS for reliability is like choosing MS for security. NUTS.
    You can make a lot of claims for choosing Microsoft, but I could never use reliablity and security as a primary factor. . .
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    But Palm has now changed manufacturers (HTC) ....

    HTC is the manufacturer of the Audiovox smt5600 as well. If manf is any indication of the overall quality of a product (not design flaws, etc), then the Treo 650 will be a rock solid phone!
  9. #9  
    trust me
    HTC rocks
    i've had devices manufactured by HTC before
    they're ROCK SOLID
  10. #10  
    [QUOTE=SnootZootPoop]
    Quote Originally Posted by utey

    The reason I am probably leaving the Treo is the price of the device. There are smart phones like the Audiovox smt5600 that are getting raves all over the net and it is close to free right now. In fact Amazon is giving +$25 in rebates right now.

    QUOTE]


    The Audiovox smt5600 is truly an amazing unit. ......


    Yes yes, old chap. I too have recently been given the opportunity to use the Audiovox device. It is quite lovely
  11. #11  
    You had to pay $35 for every replacement? When you didnt break it? I never paid to replace any of my Treo 600's (4 total) and 3 times I got a brand new replacement. You just hafta be firm with sprint to get what you want
  12. ls3mach's Avatar
    Posts
    659 Posts
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    Why is it that people jump on other people when they say they don't want to do the Treo thing anymore? Is this the "Communist Empire of TreoCentral"? He wasn't being snotty or anything. He just doesn't think the phones are worth $300+ dollars. I do as I have learned to accept the gotchas of a converged device. But its not a crime to think the Treo isn't the best thing since sliced bread.

    I think the main reason everyone throws a fit is because "We dont care what kind of phone he uses." Yet he is anouncing it to us, as though we are goiing to come on here and beg him not to switch. It is like he want us to be upset for him. 80 post in 4 years, is not an avid poster, and the average poster probably has no clue who he is. Yet he comes and tells us he is leaving, but I never knew he was here, did you?

    I am not mad he is choosing something else, it affects me none. It is like on car forum where someone comes in and says. XXX must go better car aquired, or whatever. If you are leaving do so quitely. Only exeption to leaving quitely is saying goodbye. This should be done in OT, then if someone gives a crap why they are leaving, they can say that in their post. Otherwise leave and be done with it.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    trust me
    HTC rocks
    i've had devices manufactured by HTC before
    they're ROCK SOLID
    Isn't the Treo650 made by HTC?
    Animo et Fide
  14. utey's Avatar
    Posts
    207 Posts
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
       #14  
    Wow such weird responses. I have been apart of Treocentral for a long time. Yea I have not posted much, I am a regular lurker though. I bet I have checked the site nearly every day for the past 4 years. And VisorCentral for two years before that.

    I am not whining or saying goodbye. I don't care if anyone knows me here. I do have an analog life that matters to me so I don't really worry to much about relationships on a semi anonymos forum ok?

    I writing this because I know Sprint/Palm people read this forum. At least sometimes they do. So I am offering them free user opinion. A user who has been a customer for a lot longer than most of the people who replied so far. I suspect they would be concerned over someone like me leaving their products behind, because I have influnces others to buy their products in the future. I am an above average gadget geek who is well educated and makes enough money to buy some higher end gadgets if they are useful enough. In other words I am in their wheelhouse. Unlike the front edge early adopters who will buy the next new thing blindly before it can be fully tested for bugs. Which is a lot of people in this board who said they would buy the Treo 650 the day it was announced site unseen.

    I can tell you that when this site was first up and running there were not as many buttwhipes as there are now.

    I do know what I am talking aboutwhen it comes to Palm devices. I have been a long time user (Since 1997) and have talked many people into getting either Palm Pilot, or a Treo. When I started at my current job I was the only one with a palm device. Now everyone has one. 3 people out of 20 have a Treo. I can honestly say it was because of my evangelizing the product. They were all very envious of my sweet 300. And I have been envious of their sweet 600. Just not the high price of it. I got my 300 from Amazon for $99 two years ago next month.

    I am a snappermail user and have lifetime upgrades for free because I jumped on the product when it first appeared on the scene. It is an awesome product. The only apps I use on my Palm are tasks, calender, browser, email and an occasional game. I have had and still have many other apps installed that I have paid for but never use anymore because they are not really that useful. I still go back to the core apps because they solve 99% of my needs.

    What I loved about the Palm was that it did what I needed simply and elegantly. That is all I want out of a PDA/Smartphone. The Treo 300 met those requirements for me. And I am sure the 600 and 650 would as well. But so will other solutions for a lot less money.

    As far as ATT Vs. Sprint coverage... I have mostly enjoyed Sprint as well. I like their website, and coverage has been good on the road. However, I work in the middle of a giant deadspot that I have been hoping would get fixed. I can not get a signal in my building, or even in front of my building. If I walk down the street to a sandwhich shop I lose the signal right away. Other coworkers have ATT, Verizon, or Cingular and get calls in the offices. One coworker has 650/Cingular the other 650/Verizon both can receive calls in the building or in other building in my area. I cant. So I am not worried about ATT so much. Especially now that the cingular deal has gone through. By the way I live in a Chicago suburb not the boonies.

    I wouldn't mind if someone gave me a reason to stay with Treo. But I am not asking for one. I doubt there is anyone here that can tell me more than I already know. It isn't my lack of knowledge about the Treos that is keeping from buying one. (Although I might say the reverse about you newbs who have only been registered for less than a year!) I still might stay with Treo. I am waiting to see what the prices look like once the 650 ships. I can say that if it is $99 like my 300 was, I might bite on it. But I doubt it. The smt5600 is smaller, has a better screen (then the 600) has all the apps I want out of the box, and bluetooth. And I already mentioned spotty coverage with sprint in my local community.

    For the fartknockers who flamed me. Whatever. I have been reading the forums long enough to know that there are others who feel the same way I do. Those of us who have been here since the begining of TreoCentral and before that Visor|central have watched closely the birth, near death and rebirth of Hawkins' products have been disspointed before, but just knew something was coming up soon. I don't feel like that is the case. The Treo 650 is less than spectacular compared to the 600 and it took them a long time to release it. How long until we get the next Treo and will it be worth a chunk of cash? I am not willing to wait around anymore. 18 months ago I suppose I might have had the same reaction to what I am thinking now. I groaned when a coworker brought out his iPaq last year. I begged him to take it back and get a truly usable device.

    I really thought this past year Palm was going to kick ****, release at least two versions of the Treo and a couple of killer Palm Pda's. In the meantime I thought any PocketPC or Smartphone products would continue to flounder in high prices, buggy software, and clunky designs. Well if you have not looked around at other devices lately you should. It pains me to admit it, but MS is coming on strong. If Palm does not get rolling soon, it is going to go the way of Apple computers and only command a 3% market share.

    In the meantime, getting a device that is free with activation from Amazon seems like a better option than paying for a device that is $300+, buggy, and use a service that is less than good where I spend 65% of my life. That $300 can be used for a lot of other things that are important to me.
    Last edited by utey; 10/29/2004 at 11:10 AM.
    Grace & Peace,

    utey
  15. #15  
    Why can't people seem to get it into their heads that the original Treos and the early version of the T600 were MANUFACTURED AND MARKETED BY AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT COMPANY? Handspring was a much smaller company that was trying to break the mold and strapped for cash. Compared to them, Palm is a giant. A giant who has hired one of the best in the business to manufacture the next product. It's not even rational to say that because of the old units not being reliable, you are not going to buy the new one. New company + New manufacturer = New ball game.

    If the 650 is plagued with the same problems and un-reliability, then it is a fair argument that the line is not stable.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by utey
    For the fartknockers who flamed me. Whatever. I have been reading the forums long enough to know that there are others who feel the same way I do.
    Amen. If someone brings up a point that refers to the Treo in anything but glowing terms, there's a group here that makes them out to be a Nazi. Grow up.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    Bye, Bye. I do not think you have been reading enought!!!!!!!!!!!! There are so many things wrong in your thread that I am not going to point out what you don't know about the 650!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Amen! and Amen!

    He just doesn't get it, the Treo 650 is completely AWESOME!!!!!! But you probably have to be a tru Techno-Geek and Technophile to really recognize and fully appreciate that obvious, wonderous state of affairs.

    I wish you good fortune BssinRVer.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader
    Amen! and Amen!

    He just doesn't get it, the Treo 650 is completely AWESOME!!!!!! But you probably have to be a tru Techno-Geek and Technophile to really recognize and fully appreciate that obvious, wonderous state of affairs.

    I wish you good fortune BssinRVer.

    Lord Vader,

    That which you say is very true. However, the original comment on departure from our ranks is based on one users experience. From what I gather, my Lord, is that the sage Utey, has valid points, and I too after witnessing the brilliance of the Audiovox, must say that I am tempted. As Mr. ZootPoop says in a previous dialogue, the price differential is rather large.

    Sir Utey, good luck.....I may soon join thee as well, but even if I don't, we shall appreciate your insights from the other side if you find the time.
    I was large and in charge!
  19. #19  
    take care and see you soon
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by utey
    fartknockers...


    Is that some sort of predisposition that people have? Alas, I am not aware of such societal nuances
    I was large and in charge!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions