Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The PDA2K does have better features and most of the technology comparisons are stronger in favor of the PDA2K. However, as someone who will be sliding a convergence device in and out of my jeans pocket all day, the Treo650 is where its at.

And to be honest, if the Samsung i550 were out today, I'd be going with that over the Treo650 (and likely will be upgrading in March/April 2005 to the Samsung i550 over the Treo650 when it does come out).
    Quote Originally Posted by TracerHawk
    And to be honest, if the Samsung i550 were out today, I'd be going with that over the Treo650 (and likely will be upgrading in March/April 2005 to the Samsung i550 over the Treo650 when it does come out).
    My sentiments exactly. Well unless I am in love with the 650 by then.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    ...but why do the all come with cameras... the first one to dum.p the camera gets my money.
    Has anyone cause any of the multiple PDA2k bug posts on howardforums?

It all looks great on paper but the thing is looking buggier and buggier daily..
    I suspect that the bugs are why sprint is holding off releasing the phone until christmas time.

ixtab -> both the treo650 and the ppc660X will have have cameraless versions. I believe the ppc6601 is available from sprint right now through the business accounts section.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtab1970
    ...but why do the all come with cameras... the first one to dum.p the camera gets my money.
    Sprint will be releasing the CDMA version marketed by Audiovox. They will first release a non-camera version (the PPC-6001) in a few weeks (maybe sooner) and then the camera version (the PPC-6000) sometime before the New Year.

I thought I would try to clearify some things since this can be confusing. There are some differences between the CDMA versions and the GSM versions. GSM has WiFi, (no EDGE); CDMA had EVDO, but no WiFi. The CDMA camera version has a flash (usable for stills and videos) while the GSM version does not have a flash (not sure why that is).

It seems that ATT/Cingular (GSM) will carry the Siemens SX66; T-Mobile (GSM) will carry the iMate pda2K, Sprint and Verizon (CDMA) will carry the Audiovox PPC-600X (not exactly sure if this is the brand Verizon will be carrying; it could be the iMate ppc2K EVDO, but I thought I read somewhere that it was the Audiovox). All are manufactured by HTC and rebranded. They are all identical except for the branding and the differences I listed between GSM and CDMA versions.
    Jeff
    Good for you, judd1.

I did the same. Have tried Symbian, Windows, and Palm. I decided to stick around with Palm for a while. Going to Windows is like going back to the Treo 300 form factor. Not just yet for me for Windows.

In the Pocket PC world, I hope they have improved Pocket Word and Excel. Hopefully, its true with the phone edition. It was fine with Symbian with the Nokia 92xx except that its bulky. Maybe the 9300 will fix that. But, I've got so many important documents created for PalmReader and iSilo that I don't think I can migrate to either Windows or Symbian. And the keyboard, that's still a killer for me.

I've tried our own iPAQ with the keyboard, but it's so huge. And the phone with the attached keyboard, it makes an already bulky phone still bulky. And yeah the PDA2K I saw in the shops, well, they are even bigger than my previous Treo 270 I think. So, good for you if that works for you. Not with me yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by judd1
    Rodolfo, I've been a long time lurker here, for almost a year, and more intensely as every little scrap of info about the Treo 650 came out. ...
    Judd
    OK, J1; upon further review, you sound credible and knowledgable. I'm hoping T-Mobile will carry this and that the phone reception will be good. I too am ready to move back to PPC, but I returned the h6315 because it wasn't sufficiently better than my Treo 270 and the reception was poor. About the only application I'm wed to on the Treo is SnapperMail. I like the way it works automatically and flexibly sort of like Outlook on my desktop. The h6315 had an SMS notification system which I found more complicated than I want. Are you familiar with SnapperMail and how does it compare to the PDA2k email system? Or, do you know of a discrete PPC application that works independently like Snapper? Thanks for this and for your helpful comparative reviews.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    Has anyone cause any of the multiple PDA2k bug posts on howardforums?

It all looks great on paper but the thing is looking buggier and buggier daily..
    I don't understand you. Your posts have been sticking out to me all over these boards. I can't understand why you have such a problem with the pda2k.. Does it bother you that the Treo650 that you have already got yourself all psyched up for might be a dissapointment? Or that there really IS a BETTER alternative out now?

Not sure where you are going here. pda2k is not having a slew of problems. More problems are not showing up everyday. I welcome anyone to take a quick look over at the PPC forums on hofo: http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...s=&forumid=181

What you will see is people having issues with Bluetooth, and figuring out how to enable CSD on their phones so they can fax (not enabled by default, have to call your carrier). The bluetooth problem is a known issue by the manufacture (same one as the Treo650 by the way) and they are releasing a ROM update this weekend.

Since we are on the subject, notice that this product is only 2 weeks old and this will be the 2nd ROM update? This is what I call SUPPORT OF PRODUCT. Palm/Handspring released the Treo 600 in September of 2003 and didnt release their ROM update (the only one they ever release for that fact) until May of 2004.

So your comments making it "seem" as if the pda2k is plagued with problems is just false. Pda2k is the most solid phone & pda I have ever purchased. It is just fantastic.
    My biggest complaint is that in Windows Mobile Contacts it automatically sorts by Last Name, First Name, and there is no way to change it to First Name, Last Name. This is completely unexcusable. I do not know half my contacts last names and DO NOT want them sorted by last name. It's actually sorting everything by its File As property in outlook. I had to rearrange every single File As field on my desktop manually to First Name, Last Name order and that was a pain in the ***.
    Judd
    Pocket Informant http://www.pocketinformant.com/p_pocketinformant.php allows you to sort contacts by first name. A trial version is available.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    I don't understand you. Your posts have been sticking out to me all over these boards. I can't understand why you have such a problem with the pda2k.. Does it bother you that the Treo650 that you have already got yourself all psyched up for might be a dissapointment? Or that there really IS a BETTER alternative out now?
    So defensive.. Either you're paying far too much attention to me or you're just noticing my posts because I've said something negative about your baby... I'm actually not biased either way and have said several times on here that I wanna see this thing in my hand, and if it's pocketable and user friendly I will in fact probably get one over the Treo.

We all need to wait a little while. I'm not gonna buy this thing blindly and rave about it religiously like yourself when I've read many posts about many issues over at HoFo about the PDA2k.. People need to make their own decisions and should not be driven by one or two of the converts' incessant preaching on this board.

In the meantime, please do something helpful and post a few photos taken with the 2k. Nobody's seen any.
  12.    #32  
    I haven't found the PDA2K to be buggy at all. It seems a million times more reliable than the Treo, which would lock up on me almost once a day. Some have complained about bluetooth headset issues, but I haven't used one yet. Apparently there's a ROM update coming soon to address that.

Also I'm getting a little better reception with the PDA2K than my Treo. I'm in the hills and I rarely find a phone that works in my house. The reception is still very low here with the PDA2K, but now I at least can make out their voice and name when they're calling and I can call them back. With the Treo (in my virtually no signal house) it was useless trying to understand who was calling (if the number is blocked) and what they were saying.

I'm able to easily use the PDA2K with one hand. Just rest it on your four fingers and slide it up with your thumb under the D-pad. It's quick and easy and hasn't really felt like it's gotten in the way of quick keyboard usage. Of course I suppose it's not the same as always having the keyboard visible, but I don't give a damn. The extra screen real estate more than makes up for that. Besides I like typing on this keyboard much better than the Treo's.

With regard to Rant, I personally have no problem with the space bar. I never thought there was an issue there. Also, GPRS data speeds are known to be nowhere close to the CDMA data rates. But GPRS does seem to be faster on the PDA2K than the Treo. Still GPRS sucks and I wish edge were here in LA now and this supported it. Otherwise I think your points are dead on.

Let me make this clear: I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THE SIZE. I was worried about that before it came, but it's not as big as it seems from the pictures, and it really does fit comfortably in my hands. It feels much less bulky than a blackberry (which I hate, yeck). I'm a medium build guy. This suits me fine. And I wouldn't like to give up the screen size, sliedout keyboard and all those hard buttons for anything. When in public, even (or especially) when the keyboard is slid out and the phone is at its largest dimensions, random people come up (while I'm talking on the phone) and say "wow, that's a f.ucking cool phone". Don't worry, it looks very modern and completely unfugly.

Rodolfo, I love the mail program included on the PDA2K. You can even press the voice record icon and send a wave attachment of your speech to someone. I tried it only saying "Testing 1..2...3" and the file was only 50K and it was a trip to hear my voice emailed so easily. I think I'll have fun with this feature as sometimes expressions are better conveyed with your voice, like "B.itch, where's my money?" or "Are you talking to me?!"

Also I removed pocket informant and agenda fusion. I have no need for their extras, and feel like the programs are more cluttered, less integrated with the phone and less visually attractive. I like the included apps just fine (for contacts, calendar, tasks, notes, etc), they are very functional and beautiful, I just wish that f.uck they could have included that one option to sort your contacts by first name. I've fixed this already by manually changing one by one the File As field on each contact on my desktop to first name, last name, but I don't think I should have had to do that. What a waste of time.

Farzonalmaneih, let me chime in with you on every point you made in your excellent hofo comparison post. (http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=480707)
    I second everything he said.

Navigation on Windows Mobile wouldn't be as good as with Palm OS if it weren't for SBC Pocket Plus and all those hard buttons on the PDA2K. But because of those the navigation is superior, and if you purchase MS Voice Command, the Treo doesn't hold a candle even here.

One area where the Treo does outshine the PDA2K is when using it as a lamp. Power went out in my friend's apartment building one night and the Treo left in the corner kept the whole friggin' room lit up. That's impressive. The PDA2K can hold its own as a lamp, but its light is a bit softer.
    Oh! and there's no comparison for daytime viewing. You can view the PDA2K's screen perfectly in direct sunlight. With the Treo, you cannot.

At $899 I paid a very hefty price for the PDA2k, no doubt. But I'm still smiling. What the hell... I'm a commercial real estate broker, I've sold many buildings this year and have 6 more in escrow right now. I'm working all week (often without breaking for the weekends) like a rabid attack dog. After getting a new G35, this was the only other thing I really wanted. I can understand waiting for it to officially come out in the states for a $6xx price point, and I almost did that myself, but my hormones got the best of me, and who am I to resist such a beautiful creature?

Judd
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    In the meantime, please do something helpful and post a few photos taken with the 2k. Nobody's seen any.
    anyone?
    nobody?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    Considering there is minimal difference in the size of the two and there's no pointy antenna on the pda2k. I just can't take all the "too big" comments seriously.
    I would like a whiff of the stuff you are smoking if you think they are even close to the same size.
    I have detailed files.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treominator
    I would like a whiff of the stuff you are smoking if you think they are even close to the same size.

treo600=4.4" x 2.4" x 0.9"
    ppc6600=4.9" x 2.75" x 0.74"

I'm thinking that I should ask you for a puff of your stuff.

the length of the 650 with antenna is longer than the pda2k, the given depth measurements places the pda2k as the thinner, and finally the width differs btween the two by a little more than one-eigth of an inch on both sides.

They are both fairly close to being the same physical size. any other differences that you are noticeing are optical illusions.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

I kind of miss the ability to have the hard buttons have more than one function by pressing the option key, but such is not possible here. But having 11 hard buttons makes up for that. I think the one and only reason I'm finding the ppc slightly less one hand friendly is the lack of the applications button.
    multi buttons mapper

http://www.vitotechnology.com/en/pro...tonmapper.html

(You can assign macro to a key and certain pen gesture too)
    Navigation on Windows Mobile wouldn't be as good as with Palm OS if it weren't for SBC Pocket Plus and all those hard buttons on the PDA2K. But because of those the navigation is superior, and if you purchase MS Voice Command, the Treo doesn't hold a candle even here.
    I am not sure if you are aware that PPC has 'tap and hold' It functions like right click on your mouse.

for eg. if you 'tap hold' on address name, you will have various option what to do, with that particular address. Same with agenda item etc.

PPC touch screen action is not just 'tap'

a lot of address book action (calling, beaming, emailing) can be executed via tap and hold.
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    I am not sure if you are aware that PPC has 'tap and hold' It functions like right click on your mouse.

for eg. if you 'tap hold' on address name, you will have various option what to do, with that particular address. Same with agenda item etc.

PPC touch screen action is not just 'tap'

a lot of address book action (calling, beaming, emailing) can be executed via tap and hold.
    Good point. But I think the point he was trying to make was the "one handed" ability of the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara

treo600=4.4" x 2.4" x 0.9"
    ppc6600=4.9" x 2.75" x 0.74"

I'm thinking that I should ask you for a puff of your stuff.

the length of the 650 with antenna is longer than the pda2k, the given depth measurements places the pda2k as the thinner, and finally the width differs btween the two by a little more than one-eigth of an inch on both sides.

They are both fairly close to being the same physical size. any other differences that you are noticeing are optical illusions.
    1/2 an inch in cell phone terms, especially a smart phone/pda combo which already are much bigger than standard phones is ENORMOUS!

Its like saying that the FAA has an excellent 99% success rate. It also means 1 in every 100 planes doesn't quite make it.

The difference is huge. That "phone" cannot possibly be discrete on someones belt and it is too big for pants. Only people who will be ok are the ones carrying purses. One of the criterias for a "phone" is to be able to be toted around at a moment's notice and be "handy" at all times.

P.S. The "length with antenna" factor that brick owners keep mis interpreting is ridiculous. A LOT of flip phones might even end up being "larger" if the antenna size is looked at. The treo is sexy, the PDA2K is not. It might be a more powerful PDA but the WHOLE POINT OF THE SMARTPHONE GAME IS S-I-Z-E.

THAT is why the Treo is the best option because its engineers managed to cram all that in COMPACT form factor. Any B grade engineer can cram all sorts of junk into a huge PDA.
    Last edited by Treominator; 11/01/2004 at 12:23 AM.
    I have detailed files.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast