Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, last week I sold my Treo 600, which I did love, for $570 on eBay. I am ready to upgrade, but to what? I loved my 600. I like many of the aspects of the 650, but the lack of memory is the biggest feature that is causing me to pause (but not a deal killer depending on other option's downsides).

I have been reading bits and pieces about the PDA2K spread throughout several threads. And really needed a single source help me make a decision as to which one will suite my needs the most.

Now that it is going to be offered with Sprint at the same exact time as the 650 for around $629 ($30 more than the 650), I am seriously looking at what phone is really the better deal.

Specs are useful to consider, but there are many issues you cannot get from specs such as:

1) How easy is it to use?
    2) How well integrated is the phone to the PDA usage. I found the 600 to be nicely integrated.
    3) How stable is the unit? Does it reset often?
    4) Are there more software choices for Palm or PPC?
    5) How does it feel in my hand and up to my ear? How pratical is to wear on a belt due to it's size? The 600 is fine, but much bigger.....
    6) will ActiveSync work the same with MS Exchange on both phones?

If there is anyone who has used both the PDA2K and the 600.....with now a confirmed view of what the 650 will be like......what do you think are the positive and negatives for each.

Your help in bringing this info into a single thread is greatly appreciated during this crossroads that many of us are facing at the moment.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 10/26/2004 at 04:09 AM.
    650 All The Way!!!
    its windows...
    am using ppc right now but am missing my treo 600 already
    heh
    i moved on to ppc cause i bought se s700i
    so..well...its love and hate
    am familiar with both

and i 'might' move to treo 650
    its bluetooth baby...bluetooth all the way...oh yeah...
    and the fact its palm
    You've got to read farzonal's comparison threads between the 600 and the PDA2k. He is a heavy user and has a very thorough review and comparo.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Okay, last week I sold my Treo 600, which I did love, for $570 on eBay. I am ready to upgrade, but to what? I loved my 600. I like many of the aspects of the 650, but the lack of memory is the biggest feature that is causing me to pause (but not a deal killer depending on other option's downsides).

I have been reading bits and pieces about the PDA2K spread throughout several threads. And really needed a single source help me make a decision as to which one will suite my needs the most.

Now that it is going to be offered with Sprint at the same exact time as the 650 for around $629 ($30 more than the 650), I am seriously looking at what phone is really the better deal.

Specs are useful to consider, but there are many issues you cannot get from specs such as:

1) How easy is it to use?
    2) How well integrated is the phone to the PDA usage. I found the 600 to be nicely integrated.
    3) How stable is the unit? Does it reset often?
    4) Are there more software choices for Palm or PPC?
    5) How does it feel in my hand and up to my ear? How pratical is to wear on a belt due to it's size? The 600 is fine, but much bigger.....
    6) will ActiveSync work the same with MS Exchange on both phones?

If there is anyone who has used both the PDA2K and the 600.....with now a confirmed view of what the 650 will be like......what do you think are the positive and negatives for each.

Your help in bringing this info into a singal thread is greatly appreciated during this crossroads that many of us are facing at the moment.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=480707
    LOL, I was just about to edit my post and add that link
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxboro
    LOL, I was just about to edit my post and add that link
    no worries
    am hofoer myself
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    its windows...
    am using ppc right now but am missing my treo 600 already
    heh
    i moved on to ppc cause i bought se s700i
    so..well...its love and hate
    am familiar with both

and i 'might' move to treo 650
    its bluetooth baby...bluetooth all the way...oh yeah...
    and the fact its palm
    PDA2K
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/5607250847204572/

650 http://web.palmone.com/products/smar...1CFFOAVAATKIV0

They both have MS Active Sync
    They both have 5 way nav

650 = 32 mb memory
    PDA2K = 128 mb memory

650 = bluetooth version?
    PDA2K = bluetooth ver 1.1

650 = 320 x 320
    PDA2K = 240x320 QVGA screen

650 = Intel™ PXA270 312 MHz processor
    PDA2K = Intel PXA263 400 Mhz processor

650 = ?
    PDA2K = 3.5-inch LCD screen

650 = Size 2.3 x 4.4 x 0.9 inches
    59 mm x 113 mm x 23 mm
    PDA2K = 69.8mm(W) x 125mm(H) x 18.7mm(T)

650 = Battery
    Removable rechargeable lithium ion battery
    CDMA model: Up to 5 hours talk time and up to 2 weeks standby time
    PDA2k = Removable rechargeable lithium Polymer battery
    3-4 hours talk. 15 hours PDA. 168 hours (7 days) standby. Data retention 72 hours.

650 = No cradle
    PDA2K = Included

650 = 640x480 camera with 2x zoom
    PDA2K = 640x480 camera (first released without it)
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 10/26/2004 at 03:18 AM.
  9.    #9  
    GREAT LINK!!!!! Thanks.

Boy, I am a true Treo fan, but after reading that review / comparison, I may jump ship to the PDA2k and then take a look at the 700 or 750.

Anyone who has used both that still recommend the 650? If so why?
    SmartPhone or Split phone + PDA ?. Having been around this several times. I decided AGAINST the Treo 650 as I currently own the Treo 600.

Problem with Smartphone is that there are just too much compromises and I figured these aren't going to be solved in the near future. So my next step up, is SE K700i Plus PalmOne T5. Dedicated devices suits me better since I do talk and wanted to look at my calendar or memopad. Try doing this while the phone is at your ear!.
    Yep, you need to carry both but one one use at a time mostly. Except for simulteneous use as described. I will never go back to PPC. After the 3rd try, its practically useless for me....
    i too am ready for an upgrade and i was like you looking towards the pda2k but its windows and i just cant live with that so its 650 fr me
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by fteo540i
    SmartPhone or Split phone + PDA ?. Having been around this several times. I decided AGAINST the Treo 650 as I currently own the Treo 600.

Problem with Smartphone is that there are just too much compromises and I figured these aren't going to be solved in the near future. So my next step up, is SE K700i Plus PalmOne T5. Dedicated devices suits me better since I do talk and wanted to look at my calendar or memopad. Try doing this while the phone is at your ear!.
    Yep, you need to carry both but one one use at a time mostly. Except for simulteneous use as described. I will never go back to PPC. After the 3rd try, its practically useless for me....
    I think you may have missed the point of this thread, we are not talking about splitting PDA & Phone, but which smartphone to use.

I travel a lot and often times need access to Outlook info while talking...that is what an headset is for. Perfect for talking while using the PDA on a smartphone while getting the benefits of having both together.

i too am ready for an upgrade and i was like you looking towards the pda2k but its windows and i just cant live with that so its 650 fr me
    Have you used win on PPC? If so what did you not like about it?
    everything is so complicated things that i can do so easy on my treo or any palm for that takes so long to do on a ppcand another factor pushing me away from ppc is that i would have to change all of my contacts and databases and i would lose all the great apps i have for palm
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

this will make you think thrice

http://www.godmode.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8641

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3460

also when will it be avilable here in the us?
    i know that looks great and the specs are even better will it have wifi? but it still prefer my palm os

Quote Originally Posted by PRANKSTAR
    i know that looks great and the specs are even better will it have wifi? but it still prefer my palm os
    wifi included in the BenQ P50
    Im switching as soon as i can, no more palm crap BS for me.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrasonoman
    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3460

also when will it be avilable here in the us?
    Sprint released a press release on Hotwire...someone posted the link somewhere in another thread....that said that it will be released the 1st or 2nd week in Nov....the same time the Treo 650 is coming out.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...02307934&EDATE=

As you can see the cameraLESS one is released first followed a month or so later by one with a camera.

Will it have wifi?
    No....the PDA2K in the EU one has it, but it was removed coming to the states....or at least coming to Sprint.
    Thanks for info

why would they remove the wifi?

worth the wait, who knows when the gsm 650 will come out.

F that.

Im jumping ship, 600 plus tax doesnt seem worth the little crap extra on the 650.
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast