Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    you also need to show the comparison with the keyboard opened, however, since that is how it would be used often by many people.
    Size with the keyboard open does not matter to me. The only place size will matter is when I hafta put the phone in my pocket. When I am using it... i'd rather have a bigger keyboard for easier typing...

but it is true that one handed notes will be difficult with the PPC. Maybe i'll start taking voice memos or something
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    Tmobile is only 19$ internet if you have any sort of phone plan with them. The 30$ plan is for data only.
    A Cingular Rep. told me that they have a $9.95 unlimited data rate (Madison, AL). However, I can't find it on their website. It was after asking him if he could locate a T650. He did say the $9.95 rate was very new. Sounded very interesting, if true.
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomer777
    Really, I wonder how often we have to type numbers in when we dial? All my numbers are programmed into contacts, so all I have to do is select the contact I want to dial...
    Since you ask Sure, I guess >95% of the numbers I dial are in Contacts, but I also guess that I make >80% of calls using Speed Dial. Pulling out a keyboard to do this would be an inconvenience, even if I could get good at doing it with one hand (which I have doubts about).

Quote Originally Posted by zoomer777
    ...and it sounds like the 6600 will have a fairly robust voice-dialing feature, which is sorely missed on my T600 right now (sounds like you will be able to buy this feature for the T650 as well - we'll have to wait and see which one is better!).
    I've had phones with voice dialling before and after an initial trial or two, the feature went unused. I much prefer speed dialling and I think this is generally true, at least amongst my family, friends and acquaintances.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonecool
    A Cingular Rep. told me that they have a $9.95 unlimited data rate (Madison, AL). However, I can't find it on their website. It was after asking him if he could locate a T650. He did say the $9.95 rate was very new. Sounded very interesting, if true.
    They have unlimited data for $19.95 with 200 MMS and 1500 text, that is all I have heard
  5.    #145  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    I've had phones with voice dialling before and after an initial trial or two, the feature went unused. I much prefer speed dialling and I think this is generally true, at least amongst my family, friends and acquaintances.
    Boy, I could not differ with you more on that point as I am on the road a lot and when I had a phone with voice dialing I used it amost exclusively. It hardly ever failed to recognize my voice and dial the correct number, even with a bad cold.

Just click the button on my headset and say "Carol Cell Phone" or "David at Work", then talk, and click the button on my headset to hangup....all with the phone sitting out of reach in the passenger seat face down.

Voice dialing is not only a very valuable feature for many users, I also look at it as a very important safety hands free dialing while driving.

If this is actually a feature that will be available on the 650 (as it is on the PPC-6600)....even by 3rd party software.....that would be one more item to help even out the scale.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Boy, I could not differ with you more on that point as I am on the road a lot and when I had a phone with voice dialing I used it amost exclusively. It hardly ever failed to recognize my voice and dial the correct number, even with a bad cold.

Just click the button on my headset and say "Carol Cell Phone" or "David at Work", then talk, and click the button on my headset to hangup....all with the phone sitting out of reach in the passenger seat face down.

Voice dialing is not only a very valuable feature for many users, I also look at it as a very important safety hands free dialing while driving.

If this is actually a feature that will be available on the 650 (as it is on the PPC-6600)....even by 3rd party software.....that would be one more item to help even out the scale.
    That sounds pretty cool. The previous phones I've had with voice dial (Nokia 8210, SE T68 and 68i) were a bit of a pain: push two buttons to turn off the key lock, push a button to activate voice dialling and then say the name of the contact. It was actually more straightforward just to turn off the key lock and push the speed dial. I didn't own a headset for any of these three phones and don't know if one would have provided the sort of functionality you have with the PPC-6600. I think I'll have to look into this, so thanks for the heads-up! I expect I'd still use speed dials most of the time outside of the car and I'd still rather not have to slide out a keyboard to do so, so the 650 might still be the best option for me in terms of dialling in these situations. In an ideal world I'd be able to add the same functionality you have with the 6600 to the 650.

That said, dialling isn't the real decider here for me. I won't be getting the 6600 (actually it would be one of the XDA, SPV, VPA variants as I'm in the UK) because of its size: with the keyboard extended it's just too big (for me).
    I have been reading through this thread and here is my .02:

The PDA2K is exactly what PalmOne needs to push their envelope. With competition, the consumers always win. Personally I think the PDA2k size is a killer for itself. The Treo is almost too large for me but the PDA2k breaks the camel's back. The 650 is a major upgrade, higher resolution, removable battery, bluetooth crippled or not, better camera, etc. The only negative I see is the memory has not increased. But you can get around that with ZLauncher and an SD Card. And the bottom line here is that the Treo 600 is the "Best" quality "phone" I've had so far. Yes the phone itself matters.

Btw, I am selling my Treo 600 on Ebay now and have been watching what the other listings are selling for and even brand new, sealed in the box units are only selling for the low 400 hundreds, not even close to 500, GSM or CDMA.
    come on folks .5 larger than a treo. So get your treo hold it in your hand then relax your grip that's the differance.
    Keyboard.. while browsing I perfer the sceen realestate.
    plus the pd2k will go landscape!
    siize concider no ANT. that is where the size comes un
    Sorry about the typing errors; I'm all thumbs.
    For me a really good comparison is from when I had my Kyocera 6035, which I used to keep in my pants pocket.

K6035 142 x 64 x22 mm

PPC 6600 125 x 71.6 x 18.7 mm

The PPC is actually shorter than the Kyocera by almost an inch! Thinner, but slightly wider (about 3/8 of an inch.)

Not too bad in my estimation.
    Yeah I used to carry a 6035 in my pocket. Wasn't bad. People used to call it a brick too. But the same people use their phones for yacking and try to get the absolutely smallest thing out there. They also think a Palm Pilot is some one who flys a small plane called a palm!

I don't give a crap what other people think (as you may surmise by some of my posts) as long as it works for me.

I'm getting the 650 and at the same time getting the PDA2K. After two weeks I'm telling one "You're Fired" (kinda like I'm telling Bush on Nov 2nd). I have a feeling it's going to be Palm that gets shi-tcanned.

So unlike alot of Treo Heads on this forum, I will give both a shot and go with what works.

Kinda like the election..too many PartyHeads who vote their party instead of using thier BRAIN to see who is actually better for the job.
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    A cajun from Philly, what could you expect in politcal taste.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    A cajun from Philly, what could you expect in politcal taste.
    Someone from Texas who doesn't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground. Who would have guessed? Maybe you can be the next president, hell my german shepard can do better than who is there now.

Oh....wait a minute....turns out my german shepard CAN'T have the job after all. Seems Bush says his dad says he can screw the voters by stealing this election too!
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    Such a fountain of intelligence. I can hardly restrain my admiration for your thoughtful and provocative response.

By the way, do you have problems with words exceeding a single syllable?
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Such a fountain of intelligence. I can hardly restrain my admiration for your thoughtful and provocative response.

By the way, do you have problems with words exceeding a single syllable?
    Astonishing!

George DUH!-buh-u has difficulties engaging in public speaking and persons such as you are afflicted with mathematical disabilities! If you find yourself with any leisure time, and of course the assistance of a math tutor, you will find upon re-examining my previous posting a bare minimum of ten words that you have falsely, and most certainly ignorantly, classified as monosyllbilic.

And if I may digress, could you perhaps enlighten me with the proper pronunciation of the word "nuclear" while indicating whether it is a two or three syllable word?
    Hey dstrauus.

It's been almost twenty minutes since my last post. Still counting? I'll give you a hint, 10 comes AFTER nine! (You can use your fingers and toes if you get stuck).

Or you can use a wireless setup to get your answers like our fearless leader did in the debate!
    Quote Originally Posted by speclcajun
    Hey dstrauus.

It's been almost twenty minutes since my last post. Still counting? I'll give you a hint, 10 comes AFTER nine! (You can use your fingers and toes if you get stuck).

Or you can use a wireless setup to get your answers like our fearless leader did in the debate!
    My apologies (not so)speclcajun. My earlier response was with regard to the total value of the contributions you have made to Treocentral. My tardiness was in clipping a few of those pearls of your monosyllabic existence from various threads to which you have contributed your knowledge:

"Constantly having to move Shi-t around and use extra programs to make regular programs run from the SD card drives me insane. I have a 1 GB SDcard. What the he-ll was so damn hard for Palm to do this? If I only paid $50 bucks for my extra memory how much could it POSSIBLY have cost Palm???"

"Someone from Texas who doesn't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground. Who would have guessed? Maybe you can be the next president, hell my german shepard can do better than who is there now."

"It's LOSE not LOOSE!!! How the hell would a signal get "loose"? Was it tight and then it got "loose"? Why does everyone here have so much trouble with that word!?!?!?!? Don't be a "Looser"!"

"This is the best thread on TC ever! I'd like to take a 650 over to Palmone and shove it up Colligan's A_S_S !!!!!!"

"What the hell does "feh" mean????"

"Ok, gotta ask. What the hell do you do that you need 6000 contacts?"
  17.    #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    I didn't own a headset for any of these three phones and don't know if one would have provided the sort of functionality you have with the PPC-6600.
    I do not have a PPC-6600. This is how other cell phones with voice command has performed for me and how many on HOWO forums have said it works for them.

It is not a deal breaker in and of itself, but just a component of the over all factor in deciding what phone to use.

With how fast advances are starting to happen in the handheld world, I am resigned to buying a new smartphone every 12 to 18 months, so this next purchase is to get me through another year or so.....at which point no matter what phone, the PPC-6600 the 650, I will be looking forward with much anticipation to the Treo 700.

Cool thing that is happening now is that from now on a lot of the accessories (except for mainly chargers and software if switching OS) will be compatible with any new device with Bluetooth. I plan getting a Bluetooth headset, a BT keyboard, a BT GPS, etc.... So even if I do finally decide to jump ship to an Win OS for a year, it is only the extra software that I would be out on. And the rest can come back over when the Treo 700 comes out.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 10/30/2004 at 07:19 PM.
    SpeclCajun:

Now I see the clock has run out on you.

Seriously, you're opinions are often interesting, and sometimes enlightening, its just the politics that irk. I will now return to my original avatar so as not to fan the flames any higher.
  19.    #159  
    Quote Originally Posted by speclcajun
    Astonishing!

George DUH!-buh-u has difficulties engaging in public speaking and persons such as you are afflicted with mathematical disabilities! If you find yourself with any leisure time, and of course the assistance of a math tutor, you will find upon re-examining my previous posting a bare minimum of ten words that you have falsely, and most certainly ignorantly, classified as monosyllbilic.

And if I may digress, could you perhaps enlighten me with the proper pronunciation of the word "nuclear" while indicating whether it is a two or three syllable word?
    I thought politics, and especially degrading and strongly potential offending politics, were either not aloud on these forums or at least strong discouraged. Please don't ruin a good running and very informative thread.

Thanks.
    PDA2K is too expensive, so I'll go with Sansung i550, assuming that it will ever come out. Luck of keyboard doesn't bother me all that much since I used to be very good with graffiti ( in Kyocera 6035 days.... )

I like clamshell design better.....
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast