Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    You are right about the keyboard, but I don't get your points on voice dialing. First of all, who cares that there are "crazy talk-to-themselves" people in NY? If you need to do voice dialing, then do it, why should you worry what others are thinking? Besides, if you are in a car doing handsfree, you look like you are talking to yourself anyways, so what's the difference?

Also, what apps are you running that prevent you from making a call? I use Microsoft's voice dial and it will dial without leaving the app you are in. You don't need to even bring up the keypad, just a little bubble pops up telling you its making a call. And if you are already in a call, how can you start another one? No phone can make two calls simultaneously.

While a hardware keypad is always a good thing, and to each his own I guess, but the absense of one does not make the phone less usable.

Also, while the 650 has more pixels in it's 1.8 inch screen, it's got only half the total screen area than a standard 3.5 inch Pocket PC does. I'm planning on getting the 650 to join my PDA2K as I like both platforms. But I don't see one as being any better than the other, just different.
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtab1970
    T600/T650 and its ultimate always-on keyboard is the most productive thing since the early Blackberries.

I considered the PDA2k as well as I don’t really want to wait until December (GSM), but just had to remind myself of how bad it was to press virtual buttons compared to real ones…
    Besides, 320x240 pixels on the PDA2k vs. 320x320 on the T650.

And the list goes on.

T650 with mainly usability and productivity in mind.

Aren't you going to have to wait for the T650 even longer? Unless you go with Sprint, which probably won't be selling the T650 until December too. So, in December, you will have the PPC-6600 and the T650 being released at nearly the same time...

And as for "pressing virtual" numbers, the PDA2k has a keyboard too, so you wouldn't have to press virtual numbers! I guess you may be referring to the fact that you have to slide out the keyboard to use it...so I guess in that case, it's a little more work. Really, I wonder how often we have to type numbers in when we dial? All my numbers are programmed into contacts, so all I have to do is select the contact I want to dial, and it sounds like the 6600 will have a fairly robust voice-dialing feature, which is sorely missed on my T600 right now (sounds like you will be able to buy this feature for the T650 as well - we'll have to wait and see which one is better!).

I'll admit that the 5-way navigation on my T600 is stinkin awesome. It's amazing how much you can accomplish just using that feature. So if the PDA2K device sucks in this area, then I am sure I would miss it...

BUT, the comment "And the list goes on"...goes on what? In favor of the T650? I feel like these units are tradin punches, but I am not even sure if it's an even trade, the PDA2k is looking to be a pretty big contender.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    While a hardware keypad is always a good thing, and to each his own I guess, but the absense of one does not make the phone less usable.

Also, while the 650 has more pixels in it's 1.8 inch screen, it's got only half the total screen area than a standard 3.5 inch Pocket PC does. I'm planning on getting the 650 to join my PDA2K as I like both platforms. But I don't see one as being any better than the other, just different.
    The lack of a hardware keyboard DOES indeed make a phone less usable!! This is the must have for any of my future PDAPhones...it absolutely must have a hardware keyboard built in (not snap on, not soft-keyboards). I think the majority of us here have similar feelings with this issue. And I also think the T600/650 have screens a little bigger than 1.8 inches (2.5" by my measurements!), so let's get the facts right. The standard 3.5" PPC is a bit too big IMHO...they need to trade a bit of screen real-estate for an increased form-factor. Give me a 3" screen in the PDA2k and trim about .5" in width!!!!

And geesh, must be nice to own both devices. Good lord, what's that cell phone bill?
    It is true that there are a few disadvantages when comparing the treo 650 to the PDA2k/PPC6601. However, these occur because both manufacturers make compromises to put PDA and phone functionality into one device.

They keyboard on the T650 has the advantage that it is always available... even one handed... however, it is smaller than the PPC6601 and the comparison of keyboard usability cannot be made until you use both. Just like it takes a little while to get used to the T600 cramped keyboard, it make take some to figure out how to use the PPC6601 one handed. However, there are always apps like Voicecommand which make it much easier to use than the Treo for quick dialing.

$15 extra for vision is a turn off for some... but I dont think that ppl should forget about the PPC because of that. There are many people that have PPC and don't pay the extra $15. Just like sprint doesnt enforce the use of the phone as a modem, they are not very strict with this rule.

One disadvantage of the T650 is the screen. Although it is higher resolution, it is tiny. This is the main reason that most of the new apps in the treo do not take advantage of the full resolution. The menus, buttons, and even applications look the same as the 600 except sharper. I am guessing this was done partially to make it easy to port the old apps to the new platform and partially beacuse if they make things smaller, it would affect usability on the T650's small screen. Although the PPC doesnt have the resolution, the software (as far as i have seen) can display just as much information on screen at a time. Plus the larger screen will make the multimedia experience better.

The cost difference of both devices is a moot point. The T650 can be had for $350 and the PPC6601 goes for $629. However... one can simply go buy a T650 for $350 and sell it on ebay to recoup at least $250 and apply that to purchase of a PPC. Plus the cost of software for messaging, telnet, ftp, video playing, and voice dialing on the Treo is something you dont hafta worry about for PPC. Plus, you get multitasking in the PPC OS.

In my opinion, the only advantages of the T650 is the size and possibly the integration of the 5-way button into the OS. The displays are comparable. The usability of the keyboards are comparable. And in most other areas the PPC wins out. However, I am still going to try both before I decide whats best for me
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomer777
    What speed is TMO's internet at $19/Mo? Is it crappage modem speeds? Is TMO going to sell the PDA2k? Cingular?

I'm on the fence...someone mentioned the T650 for $349?????? I thought it was going to be $500?

Here's my dilemma:

Right now, two options:

Purchase the T650:
    $499 Base price - $150 for Sprint "loyalty" bonus (must have 18 Mos with them) = $349

Sell current T600 for $200-$249? Maybe more, get T650 for $100 out of pocket! Now, for that cheap, it is not a bad upgrade!

PDA2k:
    $629 - Some sort of "loyalty" discount as well maybe (if I stick with Sprint)? $150? = $479

Sell current T600 for $200-250, AND sell my Ipaq 1945 (still got it!) for $200, get the new PDA2k (AUDIOVOX PPC-6600) for $29 to $79 bucks!!!!!!!! Geesh...not sure which one to do!

The other dilemma, GSM version of PDA2k, or CDMA version??

Choices...choices!
    Sprint is going to sell the 650 for $599 not $499.
    Walt Mossberg mentioned in his review that T650 was going to be $499...was he incorrect?
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfbeast
    The cost difference of both devices is a moot point. The T650 can be had for $350 and the PPC6601 goes for $629. However... one can simply go buy a T650 for $350 and sell it on ebay to recoup at least $250 and apply that to purchase of a PPC. Plus the cost of software for messaging, telnet, ftp, video playing, and voice dialing on the Treo is something you dont hafta worry about for PPC. Plus, you get multitasking in the PPC OS.

Why on earth would you buy a T650 for $350, then go sell it for $100 less, only to turn around and buy a more expensive device? Or are you saying that you would sell the T650 for $600, and gain $250? If so, how do you get the T650 for $350 straight up??
    http://ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html

"The Treo 650, which Sprint will sell for $499 with a one-year service contract, looks much like its predecessor. But it boasts four big improvements..."
    Why on earth would you buy a T650 for $350, then go sell it for $100 less, only to turn around and buy a more expensive device? Or are you saying that you would sell the T650 for $600, and gain $250? If so, how do you get the T650 for $350 straight up??

If i wanted a 6600... I'll go buy a T650 from the Roadshow for $350 and sell it on ebay for regular price $600 or whatever... then take that money and go buy a PPC6600
    The lack of a hardware keyboard DOES indeed make a phone less usable!! This is the must have for any of my future PDAPhones...it absolutely must have a hardware keyboard built in (not snap on, not soft-keyboards). I think the majority of us here have similar feelings with this issue. And I also think the T600/650 have screens a little bigger than 1.8 inches (2.5" by my measurements!), so let's get the facts right. The standard 3.5" PPC is a bit too big IMHO...they need to trade a bit of screen real-estate for an increased form-factor. Give me a 3" screen in the PDA2k and trim about .5" in width!!!!

And geesh, must be nice to own both devices. Good lord, what's that cell phone bill?
    I just measured one of my spare screen protectors for the Treo 600. 1.8 x 1.8 inches.

PDA2K on T-Mobile, $90/month (includes unlimited data and Hotspot service) and Treo 600 on Sprint, $65/month (includes unlimited data and Business Package

"The Treo 650, which Sprint will sell for $499 with a one-year service contract, looks much like its predecessor. But it boasts four big improvements..."
    Are you sure about that or, perhaps more appropriate, is the WSJ? Usually, this sort of pricing is for a two year agreement, not one.
    One annoyance with PPCPhones that no one mentioned yet (I think)…
    I flipped from the T600 to a PPCPhone few months ago and then flopped back my T600 because of one major issue… dialing.
    My T600 is first and foremost a phone (or is it…) and when I dial a contact/number I like to feel that I am pressing keys (driving, jogging, walking, hiking, not-paying-attention), pressing virtual keys (on a PPCPhone) doesn’t cut it, no way to feel what you pressed or not.
    Newbie PDA2k fans out there, don’t tell me ‘we have a keyboard’ or ‘we have voice dial’, again it’s not the same… ‘keyboard’ - just not there when you really need it to dial a quick call one handed, ‘voice dial’ – I live in NYC, there are enough crazy talk-to-themselves around here… I don’t need to start as well. And besides voice dial is useless when the phone is in use (other apps that you need on or another call).

T600/T650 and its ultimate always-on keyboard is the most productive thing since the early Blackberries.

I considered the PDA2k as well as I don’t really want to wait until December (GSM), but just had to remind myself of how bad it was to press virtual buttons compared to real ones…
    Besides, 320x240 pixels on the PDA2k vs. 320x320 on the T650.

And the list goes on.

T650 with mainly usability and productivity in mind.

Huh? I hate people who compare 2 products. When they do not even know much about the product they are comparing about.
    The PDA2K has a slide out key board.
    And waiting till december for GSM?
    Huh? If you would read some post around here, you would find that the treo650 GSM doesnt even touch GSM providers till the first quarter of 2005.
    For me, both phones have there strong points and weak points. Some things I like about the treo 650 is the form factor, and its build quality. But I am not satisfied by its small screen. They should have made a slide out keyboard like the PDA2K. I also like how the PDA2K has no external antenna.
    In conclusion,
    Do Your Homework Before Judging.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    The PDA2K strikes me as a two-handed device with a usefully larger screen than the 650. The keyboard and screen look like a winner, for PDA and web browsing use. The downside is, it's a lot bigger device than the Treo when you're using it as a phone. If voice dialing does it for you, then why not get a PDA2K?
    The pda2k is 1 inch taller. BUT! It is also slimmer than the treo 650. Thats pretty good considering you have a slide out keyboard also.

"Sprint, as previously announced, will carry the Treo 650 in all of it's channels in mid November for a base price of $599. The Treo 650 will be Sprint Exclusive until December at least, most likely heading into 2005. New users will be offered a $150 rebate. Customers who have been with Sprint for more than 18 months will also be offered this $150 credit toward a Treo 650 (This is the "upgrade" credit). An additional $30 discount will be provided for customers who purchase the phone online."

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/479-1.htm

I think the mistake I'm seeing you make is you're trying to use $499 as a base price when it's not. It's with a 1 year contract. Then you're trying to subract a $150 rebate from that number when the $150 rebate is contingent on agreeing to a 2 year contract. You don't get both rebates.
    Ok... everyone has been saying that size is a big deal when comparing the PDA2k to the Treo 650. Here are the exact specs:

PDA2k/PPC6601

69.8mm (W) x 125mm (H) x 18.7mm (T)
    2.75 in x 4.92 in x 0.74 in
    10.01 cubic inches
    7.4 oz / 210g

Treo 650

11.3 x 5.9 x 2.3 cm
    4.4 x 2.3 x 0.9 inches
    9.11 cubic inches
    6.3 oz / 178g

Treo 600

4.4 x 2.4 x 0.9 inches
    11.2 x 6.0 x 2.2 cm
    9.50 cubic inches
    6.2 oz / 175g

Overall, the Treo is 0.52 inches shorter, 0.45 inches thinner and 0.16 inches thicker than the PDA2k. The PDA2k is 1.1 oz heavier. Attached are some photos showing the difference between treo 600 and pda2k. The Treo 600 is only 0.1 wider than the 650 so the comparision is viable

In my opinion... its not a big difference... but thats just me =)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    you also need to show the comparison with the keyboard opened, however, since that is how it would be used often by many people.
    nguyen23464 , I really don't like Microsoft brainwashed guys much...
    FYI, I have used the MDA III for a while, great sliding keyboard, but *NOT* as productive as the Treo kb when it comes to take quick (q u i c k) one-handed (o n e h a n d e d) notes.
    No competition in productivity no matter what your boss Bill tells you.
    On price, the best possible deal on price at this point is purchasing the 650 via road show for $349 and then (if eligible) getting your $150 "upgrade" credit bey extending your contract for another two years, before you activate the new phone

Now, nobody has done this YET. some people that ordered the 600 from the first NY show have gotten theirs at the price quoted on the vienna site, but nobody that I have seen has also tried to get the $150 credit on top of that. According to two sprint people I have talked with, you are eligible for the credit as long as you re-up and do it before you activate the new phone, but I will not be 100% positive until someone does it.

BUT, if it DOES work, thats a new 650 for $199!!! wooo-wooo!!!!!
    I am not on any sides.
    I like both phones. This has been a on goin debate for awhile now.
    For me its a toss up in the air. I will have to see both phones in my hand to compare the two for sure.
    Dont forget it all depends on price also. Neither phones have had confirmed price listings yet. We do not even know how much battery life the two phones consume.
    Its seems like you are palm washed ixtab. I am equal on both sides.
    And I have had a treo 600, and a ipaq before.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast