Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fdrebben
    For Sprint, there is a note to add $15 extra for Pocket PC operating system.

Sprint PCS Add-a-Phone with Vision (additional $15/month for PCS VisionSM Smart Devices with the Microsoft® Pocket PC operating system)

Duuuuuude. That totally sucks! I'm SO glad I left Sprint years ago -- there's just no reason for that type of ridiculous charge.... other than the fact that they know they can get away with it.
    Toomer
    well compare sprints unlimited data rates to anybody elses. Sprint is by far the cheapest. Even at $30/mo they beat just about everybody. Their theory is that the Microsoft devices are used more for web browsing (and downloading) than the palm ones, so they charge more. Just like they charge even more for the laptop card.

The $30 is a good deal, but just not as good as $15!! And since i will be staying with sprint whatever device i get, that is a factor in which phone to get.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashe30
    As an owner of a Imate PDA2K, i can personally say, there is not comparison between the 650 and the pda2k. Its is by far a better device. with windows mobile 2003 SE pe. you may be counting pennies now, but figure it like this when you spend 600 for the 650 then start buying all the software and wifi accessories need to even get it close to being on par with the pda2k then you have added an esay extra 250 - 300 dollars to the price of the 650. So really what is the difference between it and sorry folks there is no wifi on the cdma version of the pda2k ..aka. ppc 6600. but i wouldn't know that I own unlocked gsm
    like what? what other software do you have to buy once you buy the 650?

it will come with an email client that does imap and pop3.
    it will come with software that will do native office files. and do it better than the ppc.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rashe30
    As an owner of a Imate PDA2K, i can personally say, there is not comparison between the 650 and the pda2k. Its is by far a better device.
    Glad you like your PDA2K. However, simply stating that there is no comparison, without saying why, is TROLLING. You're a TROLL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Glad you like your PDA2K. However, simply stating that there is no comparison, without saying why, is TROLLING. You're a TROLL.
    Maybe because posting all the reasons would take hours. I know this, and is why I am going to set some time aside next week to writup part to my review.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Thank you for your excellent writeup on HoFo, Farzon. I really learned a lot from it. The PDA2K is definitely on my short list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speclcajun
    I guess God of Abraham blesses everyone EXCEPT Trolls?!?!?
    How about practicing what you preach?
    I think you should read his post again, if you can stand to.
  9.    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    Maybe because posting all the reasons would take hours. I know this, and is why I am going to set some time aside next week to writup part to my review.
    Farz.....I appreciated the time and detailed info you gave in your first review, and look forward to any additional info and perspective in the new age of the 650. Could you post a quick link in this thread when you post part two?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    One thing I did not see. Do Bluetooth headset work on this or any other PPC device??
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    as much as i would love to have one device that does it all, it just does not appear that will happen. i am seriously debating getting a bluetooth phone (small one) and a PPC (non phone edition). i can connect them via BT and have all of the functionality i want. when i go out i do not have to lug around a ppc either. for me that is starting to sound like the best option. i will wait for the 650 to decide, but it seems to be a bit of a letdown.
    Quote Originally Posted by freebird
    Well, I don't think EVDO will help me on Sprint, it would only help Verizon customers, I believe.
    EVDO will be avail. in select sprint markets Q4 2004. They plan on upgrading the rest of the network by the end of 05.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    well compare sprints unlimited data rates to anybody elses. Sprint is by far the cheapest. Even at $30/mo they beat just about everybody. Their theory is that the Microsoft devices are used more for web browsing (and downloading) than the palm ones, so they charge more. Just like they charge even more for the laptop card.

The $30 is a good deal, but just not as good as $15!! And since i will be staying with sprint whatever device i get, that is a factor in which phone to get.

TMobile is $30 unlimited internet as well..
    Hobbsisreal, it is Windows and after 10+ years dealing with Uncle Bills products my trust level is low. On top of that I read in CPU magazine that the first phone virus was discovered earlier this year !!!. And that makes me want to stick with the Palm OS.
    for what its worth...
    Quote Originally Posted by speclcajun
    One thing I did not see. Do Bluetooth headset work on this or any other PPC device??
    Yes. I am using the sony ericson HBH-300. I have to say this is a wonderfull device. While it may be big (the headset) everyone I speak to says they can't believe that I am on a headset. This thing is so clear sounding I can use it on the busy streets of NYC without a problem. It has 10hours of talk time too. And the range!! its really neat working on the other side of the room from your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorypierce
    TMobile is $30 unlimited internet as well..
    Tmobile is only 19$ internet if you have any sort of phone plan with them. The 30$ plan is for data only.
    What speed is TMO's internet at $19/Mo? Is it crappage modem speeds? Is TMO going to sell the PDA2k? Cingular?

I'm on the fence...someone mentioned the T650 for $349?????? I thought it was going to be $500?

Here's my dilemma:

Right now, two options:

Purchase the T650:
    $499 Base price - $150 for Sprint "loyalty" bonus (must have 18 Mos with them) = $349

Sell current T600 for $200-$249? Maybe more, get T650 for $100 out of pocket! Now, for that cheap, it is not a bad upgrade!

PDA2k:
    $629 - Some sort of "loyalty" discount as well maybe (if I stick with Sprint)? $150? = $479

Sell current T600 for $200-250, AND sell my Ipaq 1945 (still got it!) for $200, get the new PDA2k (AUDIOVOX PPC-6600) for $29 to $79 bucks!!!!!!!! Geesh...not sure which one to do!

The other dilemma, GSM version of PDA2k, or CDMA version??

Choices...choices!
    Another question, how much will the PDA2k cost with other providers? Since GSM reportedly won't be stripping WIFI from the device, does that mean it will cost more? $699 - $749sh??? If that's true, the outside the inconvenience of having to buy a SDIO WIFI card that sticks out of the device a little, I can't see why a GSM phone will have an advantage of the CDMA version of it...

Oh yeah, I'm not talking about the cost from Expansys, cause they obviously jack prices up on "pre-release" phones...
    I bought the original Imate/MDAII last year and after a couple of weeks sold it back. I then got the Treo600 and fell in love with it. When the Imate PDA2k came out, I once again decided to check it out, however, instead of buying it, I borrowed it from a friend for a day and personally, the usability of PDA2k just doesnt compare.

Granted that it has an excellent number of features but its size seriously prevents it from using it with one hand- the device is still too big to be your everyday phone. I also checked out the upcoming JAM at a trade show and it has an excellent size but it doesnt have a keyboard which is a must for me.

I'm definitely heading the Treo650 way as the two things I would've liked on the Treo600 are taken care of on the 650- Bluetooth and Hi-res screen. I use the camera occasionally and thus dont really care about the quality of it on the 650. And while Wi-Fi is certainly something that would've made me love the 650 more, it is something I can live without as GPRS is reasonably fast for accessing my mails and the Web a bit.

What I feel is that if usability in a smart phone is your number one concern- then I doubt that you'll find anything better than the 650 at the moment. The size is just right (although I wont mind it being lighter and losing the antenna) and the features allow you to continue using the device as an extension of your PC in a very easy way.

-Abbas
    One annoyance with PPCPhones that no one mentioned yet (I think)…
    I flipped from the T600 to a PPCPhone few months ago and then flopped back my T600 because of one major issue… dialing.
    My T600 is first and foremost a phone (or is it…) and when I dial a contact/number I like to feel that I am pressing keys (driving, jogging, walking, hiking, not-paying-attention), pressing virtual keys (on a PPCPhone) doesn’t cut it, no way to feel what you pressed or not.
    Newbie PDA2k fans out there, don’t tell me ‘we have a keyboard’ or ‘we have voice dial’, again it’s not the same… ‘keyboard’ - just not there when you really need it to dial a quick call one handed, ‘voice dial’ – I live in NYC, there are enough crazy talk-to-themselves around here… I don’t need to start as well. And besides voice dial is useless when the phone is in use (other apps that you need on or another call).

T600/T650 and its ultimate always-on keyboard is the most productive thing since the early Blackberries.

I considered the PDA2k as well as I don’t really want to wait until December (GSM), but just had to remind myself of how bad it was to press virtual buttons compared to real ones…
    Besides, 320x240 pixels on the PDA2k vs. 320x320 on the T650.

And the list goes on.

T650 with mainly usability and productivity in mind.