Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Any knowledge or speculation as to which browser would be faster, Explorer on the pda2k or blazer on the 650, with both on sprint with no wifi.
    The CDMA version of the PDA2K will have EVDO, and I thought I read it won't have WiFi
    Answer to Original Thread Question:

What do you want : Sexy or Geeky
    I have detailed files.
    but wait, 1000 bucks with plan, gah! and what carrier is that through?
    Quote Originally Posted by Treominator

God you people..... What are you a 17 year old chick?

There's a post on hofo about PDA2k bugs and there seem to be some big bluetooth issues.. We'll see...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxboro
    The CDMA version of the PDA2K will have EVDO, and I thought I read it won't have WiFi
    yea
    Well, I don't think EVDO will help me on Sprint, it would only help Verizon customers, I believe.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treominator

Anyone who thinks a phone is sexy is geeky.
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelonius
    but wait, 1000 bucks with plan, gah! and what carrier is that through?
    I am not sure....this is what I do (and don't know).....Sprint will sell the one withOUT the camera starting the 1st or 2nd week of November for $629 (plus $29.99 for the voice command which is well worth it).

The one WITH the camera will be available sometime between the 1st or 2nd week of December. They have not announced the price yet.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I don't think you can go wrong with either one of these phones. The Treo 650 is getting rave reviews from everyone that has had a chance to use it, and pretty much the same is true of the PDA2k. And for those of you who think the PDA2k might be too big, the iMate Jam is coming soon.

My take is, multitasking and wifi are huge advantages for the PDA2k, but I'm not sure I want to cross over to the GSM world in order to get them. And with EV-DO just around the corner, I wonder if now is the time to spend $600+ on a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    And for those of you who think the PDA2k might be too big, the iMate Jam is coming soon.
    Everyone keeps talking imate-Jam, but it doesn't have a keyboard...which we would all hate. So it really isn't an option unless you're happy clicking on a virtual keyboard with a stylus. Doesn't look to be a "one-handed-device".
    Final analysis (I wish! LOL) Both seem to be very good units:

650 easier to use one handed and stylus not needed as often
    Palm OS easier/quicker to use on many items
    Palm OS a known thing (for me) easy to transfer contact info
    PDA2K works well with windows desktop apparantly
    PDA2K has more memory
    PDK2K has some great capabilities, voice program (extra cost) gets rave reviews
    650 sharper screen.
    PDA2K bigger screen and landscape
    PDA2K OS unstable? is a chance of losing data apparantly.
    650 smaller (just a bit when PDA2k closed, more when opened) and lighter (a lot)
    Both to eventually have wi-fi and BT DUN

So cost...

PDK2K with the voice software that appears to be critical to using it on the move will be $660. With my $150 credit i get in december that will be $510 for me.

650 from the roadshow is $349. IF i can get my $150 credit as well (the rep I talked to said I would be able to as long as I apply for it before i activate new phone, but I don't fully count this chicken yet) then it is $199!

Will probably spend $50 or so on an SD card for the 650 as well.

So, potentially, for me anyway, $249 (or at worst $399) vrs $510.

BUT with the PDA2K I will have to pay an additional $15/mo for internet access over the 650 (I know some folks have apparantly sneeked by without this charge on other units, but that is the rule, Microsoft OS=$15 additional, so I have to budget for it)

So, since I usually hold on to a device for 18 months, the 18 incremental cost of the two devices for me. (not counting the games and fun stuff I might buy! but I will count that as a wash)

PDK2k $780.00
    650 $249-399

Lastly add to the fact I am comfortable with the palm OS, will be easier to transfer my massive contact info and, very importantly, getting a 650 will really tick off SV, the choice for me is clear.

Treo here I come.
    Quote Originally Posted by fteo540i
    ... I do talk and wanted to look at my calendar or memopad. Try doing this while the phone is at your ear!....
    Speakerphone.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    Everyone keeps talking imate-Jam, but it doesn't have a keyboard...which we would all hate. So it really isn't an option unless you're happy clicking on a virtual keyboard with a stylus. Doesn't look to be a "one-handed-device".
    I agree it's not a one-handed device. I am actually more interested in the screen, and I'm kinda fascinated by a device that's nothing BUT screen. I don't have a keyboard now (i-500), and am willing to consider devices without one. I'm pretty sure PPC has a graffiti clone.
    True, it does look kinda cool being an "all screen" device -- and if you can live w/o a keyboard, go for it.. Think most of the people here are here because they like the idea of a kb.. Yeah PPC has a handwriting recognition thing that works sorta well.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    This statement is just ignorance. Palm looses its memory in the exact same way a PPC phone does. Try running your Treo600 all the way down on battery until it shuts off. Goodbye information.. ala hard reset.

As a matter of fact, the pda2k and many new pda2k's have a non-volatile area of memory that are not affected by hard-resets. So you never loose your memory.

Granted...but who is talking about t600 anymore. The original post was wondering if he/she should buy the 650 or some other awkward phone. The t650, if you've read any other article or description, WILL NOT lose memory, even if you take the battery out!!! Most PPC articles and descriptions say, WILL lose memory, or WILL lose memory after a couple of hours...

I've done my research...Ignorance is not at hand. Stupid threads are!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Final analysis (I wish! LOL) Both seem to be very good units:

PDK2K has some great capabilities, voice program (extra cost) gets rave reviews

BUT with the PDA2K I will have to pay an additional $15/mo for internet access over the 650 (I know some folks have apparantly sneeked by without this charge on other units, but that is the rule, Microsoft OS=$15 additional, so I have to budget for it)
    What?!?! Where on earth are you getting these two facts from? I'm not saying you're wrong -- but I've never ever heard of such things as a "extra $15 for Microsoft OS" if you want to access the Internet with a smartphone. That's kinda the whole point, no? Would not the same charge apply to any other operating system?? Is that charge getting applied by your carrier?

I pay $19.99 a month to T-Mo for unlimited Internet access no matter what device I use. Quite happy with it.

Unless I am misunderstanding you.

As far as I am aware, the voice command software for the PDA2K is built-in ... it is not an extra charge ... and lets you control a whole set of features about the unit (not just the phone app) including cool stuff like the MP3 player.

Also, I haven't seen pricing for the GSMN PDA2K from anywhere at anything less than $850 unlocked at this point....

As for me, I'm probably heading over to the PDA2K. Check out the PocketPC forums over at howardforums and see how much everyone is in love with these new units. As for me, I'm tired of having my Treo soft reset itself 2-3 times a day when all I'm running is Chatter and a couple of to-do list type of apps.
    Toomer
    For Sprint, there is a note to add $15 extra for Pocket PC operating system.

Sprint PCS Add-a-Phone with Vision (additional $15/month for PCS VisionSM Smart Devices with the Microsoft® Pocket PC operating system)
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFan
    Regarding the 650 vs. PPC6600/01 - I've been thinking about this long and hard over the last couple of days. I am very familar with both the Palm and PPC platforms and currently have a 600 as well as a Dell Axim X3i; what it comes down to me is form-factor and ease of use. Yes, I like the PPC alot and especially the WiFi capability of my Dell; but I sure would hate to give up the small size of the 600 as well as the ease of one-handed use. I find when using my Dell I am constantly having to pull out my stylus for one reason or another. Even a simple matter of playing mp3 files using gsplayer, requires me to use the stylus. With my 600, I very seldom need the stylus. Plus for cell phone use, I really would not want anything larger than the 600. I know the PPC devices are not that much larger, but they are larger and in side by side comparisions you can tell the difference.

Sure, I was initially disappointed with some aspects of the 650 - but the improved screen, better email, better web and somewhat improved camera is enough for me to want to get one. For the time being I'm going to just keep two devices. I'll use my Dell around the house for WiFi access and will take it with me on trips to watch DVD's I've converted. I'll take the 600 and probably 650 with me everywhere I go.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Why not use your 650 for browsing the net? Is it just too painfully slow on CDMA?
    As an owner of a Imate PDA2K, i can personally say, there is not comparison between the 650 and the pda2k. Its is by far a better device. with windows mobile 2003 SE pe. you may be counting pennies now, but figure it like this when you spend 600 for the 650 then start buying all the software and wifi accessories need to even get it close to being on par with the pda2k then you have added an esay extra 250 - 300 dollars to the price of the 650. So really what is the difference between it and sorry folks there is no wifi on the cdma version of the pda2k ..aka. ppc 6600. but i wouldn't know that I own unlocked gsm
    SPCS / RL-7300 -> VM-4500 -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600 -> TREO 650??
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast