Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfbeast
    If form factor is a big issue, than other peoples perspectives should not matter. You cant really judge form factor until you try the phone out yourself. I suggest you buy both and return the one you dont like. Thats what sprints 14 day return policy is for.

That will be what I am doing!
    I will tell you if big Treo (and P1) fans like me are talking so much about possibly buying a PPC vrs 650.....I hope Palm takes notice. I know I would be happy with the 650 but if Palm wants to keep the lead (and have come back with the 700), I shouldn't have to shop and worry about getting the most leading technology for the same amount of money.
    I'm thinking I'm going for ODA/MDA III or I guess maybe the Audiovox PPC-6600 (Sprint!). The feature list is sweet, and I have always liked Windows Mobile over Palm...sorry, but Palm doesn't multi-task at all like a PPC. Multi-tasking is a HUGE deal to me.
    They keyboard and UI of the 600 was revolutionary. But that was a year ago. Right now, there are other options that have a better combination of UI and keyboard. A year ago, the decision was easy because the 600 was the only good PDA/phone with a keyboard. With the only upgrades to the treo being the screen and bluetooth, there are many other PDA/Phones that have better features. I am interested in testing out the PPC UI to see how it compares to the 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomer777
    I'm thinking I'm going for ODA/MDA III or I guess maybe the Audiovox PPC-6600 (Sprint!). The feature list is sweet, and I have always liked Windows Mobile over Palm...sorry, but Palm doesn't multi-task at all like a PPC. Multi-tasking is a HUGE deal to me.
    Could you tell us exactly how you see that? Do you have number crunching apps running in the background? Otherwise, seems to me listening to MP3s and checking the calenday is a whole lot like multi-tasking. If it's the difference between cooperative multi-threading vs. interruptible/context-switching multitasking (or whatever), i just don't right off see how it's a "HUGE" deal...
    Sure looking just at the stats, there are a LOT of phones that completely smoke the treos. Yet, the treo's have 2 things going for them, at least in my book.

1) of the phones currently out, or within weeks of being out (like the 650), the form factor is a deal killer. Sure on stats the PDA2K is amazing, it is what the treo hopes to be in 3 years, but ugh, I really realy don't want to hold a PDA sized device up to my ear. It feels like I am teleported back to 1985. If the form factor doesn't matter, heck, just slap a speaker on my dell laptop. It certainly won't look any more stupid than something as big as a PDA2K or an ipaq.

2) then we can discuss the phones "coming out" like the benq and the MPx and the laundry list of others. Sure several of them look really promising, and based solely on pics and stats I'd take several of them over a treo in a heartbeat. But alas, they are all just vaporware. Few have firm release dates. A few are so vague as to be in the same category as duke nukem forever and consumer holographic storage.
    Anyone who's really upset with the 650 should try other options. But keep in mind that many abandoned the 600 ship because of the lo-res screen, and several returned unimpressed with the alternatives.
    First of all... multitasking on the palm os is paltry compared to PPC. For example... I am looking up a web page in blazer, then I get an IM... when I switch out of blazer I lose the web page that was loading. Another example is that when the T600 is checking email... it cannot do anything else. Also, blazer has to re-load websites if you switch out and then back

In the PPC... the web page would continue loading while I am in other applications. Email would download in the background. This makes the experience much more smooth. Also, the fact that you cant run messaging applications in the background on the palm shows that its not true multitasking. Verichat switches to SMS when in the background. Chatter uses a workaround... but it is still just a hack compared to real multitasking.

As far as the form factor... I dont know why people think PPC is soo much bigger that it would be prohibitive. The PPC6601 is slightly wider but thinner. Also, the treo 650 is slightly longer due to the antenna. I really think when you hold these phones side by side... the size difference is minimal. If you look at pictures here:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=480707

You can see that the difference is not that great.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Hi,

After seeing the features of the Treo 650, I bid on an unlocked HP 6315 on eBay. While the HP has some issues, at least they have the GPRS - WiFi problem sorted out and you can go between one and the other with little effort. Yes, I know it's a brick but it's a much more useful brick.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I think the biggest disappointment isn't lack of wifi but lack of evdo! evdo would work every where you go on the network but wifi works in limited places. I'd much rather have evdo. IMHO.
    For most users EVDO is too expensive to justify the speed. Wi-Fi is a much more widespread standard. People use it at home, work, and there are hot spots everywhere. Also, Wi-Fi would let you use your phone and internet simultaneously! EVDO would become a big advantage as it becomes more widespread and costs come down.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    What is the price projected to be for evdo?
    I don't see WiFi on the specs. You guys sure it will have WiFi?

256K color screen???
    Quote Originally Posted by jruss78
    What is the price projected to be for evdo?
    Verizon's plan for unlimited is $80/month.
    now is not time to decide for me....i have verizon....no options
    Here is info on SPCS and VW EVDO plan:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ad.php?t=60180
    The CMDA version of the PDA2k does not have Wi-Fi. The GSM versions include Wi-Fi. I wonder if its a problem with the CDMA radio taking too much power that prevents the use of Wi-Fi?
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Thanks. That's interesting. I wonder what would drain the battery faster EVDO or WIFI?
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfbeast
    First of all... multitasking on the palm os is paltry compared to PPC. For example... I am looking up a web page in blazer, then I get an IM... when I switch out of blazer I lose the web page that was loading. Another example is that when the T600 is checking email... it cannot do anything else. Also, blazer has to re-load websites if you switch out and then back
    It sounds like a problem with Blazer implementation rather than with Palm itself. I always run Verichat in the background, and it works just fine. I view documents in QuickWord and boom the message pops up. Not sure what you are talking about with "SMS Only", I get messages from MSN, YHOO and AIM.
    if that rumor's true, then i am DEFINITELY going with the sprint version of the pda2k. At this point though, sprint has made no mention of supporting EVDO on its variant of the pda2k, which is the PPC6601/6600.

Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    They I guess you are going with the pda2k (cdma version)? Because it has EVDO and its rated at 300kbs (normal) and 2mbs (burst). Thats faster than any other cell technology being used in the USA at the moment.
    I've always felt the keyboard was a little off on the treos, the / key is on the same side as the "function" key, which made typing web addresses a little more difficult single handedly.

on the other hand, the keycaps600 is a great utility that allows you to bypass that. but here, we are referring to the hardware designs of the treo phones. looks like the 650 kept that layout as well.

for some reason, i like RIM's keyboard layout much better. too bad i don't have a blackberry and a treo600 side by side to really tell the difference why.

Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Wolwol,

I have seen a number of these PPC and the one very significant thing that Pa1mOne got right this time on the TRE0 650 was the keyboard. Many other forum members are talking about WIFI, but the keyboard and UI are the most signficant factors to me.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast