Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 203
  1. #21  
    Ouch.. 32-48 kilobits per sec (max) for data spd on the benq p50. OUCH. the cdma treo650 that i have sitting right next to me is clocking in at 85-90kbps. don't think i'd go for that phone at all, just for that reason alone.
  2.    #22  
    Here are some good links for the PDA2K that I found posted elsewhere on the forum thanks to g.711:

    Video of phone being used: http://www.mysmartphone.no/modules.p...rder=0&thold=0


    Pictures and detailed review: http://mobile-review.com/pda/review/...angel-en.shtml

    and other links
    http://mobile-review.com/pda/review...-angel-en.shtml
    http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/2934.html
    Plus there is a Message Board for the entire XDA line at -
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/foru...php?forumid=167
  3. g.711's Avatar
    Posts
    550 Posts
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by PRANKSTAR
    i too am ready for an upgrade and i was like you looking towards the pda2k but its windows and i just cant live with that so its 650 fr me

    Can you or ANYONE explain why no Windows. I mean most office and home desktops use MS. Large company, Support, earnings the only this I can see is the Hate for MS.
  4. #24  
    the fact that the PPC can lose memory at all is just scary...Its happen to me before and lets just say the scene was not too pretty afterwards...
  5. #25  
    JOV3-
    Can you expand on that last statement? Imate has flash memory or there have to be programs like/similar to Backupman for easy save on SD card. God knows I've had PLENTY of soft and hard resets on my Treo. Relied on Backupman or synched data to restore.
  6. #26  
    I haven't read any of the posts but from the topic alone; I feel like i'm being given the choice to swim with a brick or would I rather be in crouches.
  7. #27  
    Well, after what I have read so far and what I have personally used-from Nokia 9210 Communicator "the brick", to the Treo 270 which most PDA phones are of same size today, to the wonderful form factor of the Treo 600, the only way I would regress to bigger PDA-phones, is probably to go to the Nokia 9300 Communicator.

    I tried our very own iPAQ phone, but its too bulky for me. Putting on the thumboard makes it more bulky. Had HP made the H1940 format the size of the phone, I would have used it. The Treo 270 was of that size. However, Microsoft has decided that their software would be different from the pocket pc and the smartphone.

    So, for me its Symbian or Palm because both support smartphones with the keyboard format. I really treat my smartphone like a PC being heavy field guy, creating documents, reading emails, heavy SMS. Even on the Treo, it is not difficult to see the efficiency of the keyboard versus stylus.

    With all the disappontments expressed, I still feel Treo 650 is still the phone for me. If I were to leave it for bigger ones, I would probably pick the Nokia 9300 unless one of the Cobalt phones come out first quarter that beats PalmOne's own Treo 650.
  8. #28  
    Does anyone know where I can see the PD2K (or MDAII, or PPC6601, or any of the 100 other names it has) in the flesh? Do any carriers in the states have it yet?
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilebuddha
    Ouch.. 32-48 kilobits per sec (max) for data spd on the benq p50. OUCH. the cdma treo650 that i have sitting right next to me is clocking in at 85-90kbps. don't think i'd go for that phone at all, just for that reason alone.
    They I guess you are going with the pda2k (cdma version)? Because it has EVDO and its rated at 300kbs (normal) and 2mbs (burst). Thats faster than any other cell technology being used in the USA at the moment.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by JOV3
    the fact that the PPC can lose memory at all is just scary...Its happen to me before and lets just say the scene was not too pretty afterwards...
    This statement is just ignorance. Palm looses its memory in the exact same way a PPC phone does. Try running your Treo600 all the way down on battery until it shuts off. Goodbye information.. ala hard reset.

    As a matter of fact, the pda2k and many new pda2k's have a non-volatile area of memory that are not affected by hard-resets. So you never loose your memory.
  11. #31  
    ultrasonoman, your avatar is AWFUL.
  12. Iceman6's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    This statement is just ignorance. Palm looses its memory in the exact same way a PPC phone does. Try running your Treo600 all the way down on battery until it shuts off. Goodbye information.. ala hard reset.

    As a matter of fact, the pda2k and many new pda2k's have a non-volatile area of memory that are not affected by hard-resets. So you never loose your memory.
    Speaking of ignorance, the T650 also has a non-volatile area of memory that is not affected by loss of battery power. This is one of the many improvements over the T600.
  13. Iceman6's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    #33  
    There is no reason to hurry into this, guys. These two PDA phones will be subject to intense scrutiny over the next few weeks. Personally, I am not willing to go for either one of these devices until I can hold one in my hands.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Speaking of ignorance, the T650 also has a non-volatile area of memory that is not affected by loss of battery power. This is one of the many improvements over the T600.
    no doubt. And your point?
  15. #35  
    Regarding the 650 vs. PPC6600/01 - I've been thinking about this long and hard over the last couple of days. I am very familar with both the Palm and PPC platforms and currently have a 600 as well as a Dell Axim X3i; what it comes down to me is form-factor and ease of use. Yes, I like the PPC alot and especially the WiFi capability of my Dell; but I sure would hate to give up the small size of the 600 as well as the ease of one-handed use. I find when using my Dell I am constantly having to pull out my stylus for one reason or another. Even a simple matter of playing mp3 files using gsplayer, requires me to use the stylus. With my 600, I very seldom need the stylus. Plus for cell phone use, I really would not want anything larger than the 600. I know the PPC devices are not that much larger, but they are larger and in side by side comparisions you can tell the difference.

    Sure, I was initially disappointed with some aspects of the 650 - but the improved screen, better email, better web and somewhat improved camera is enough for me to want to get one. For the time being I'm going to just keep two devices. I'll use my Dell around the house for WiFi access and will take it with me on trips to watch DVD's I've converted. I'll take the 600 and probably 650 with me everywhere I go.

    Just my 2 cents worth.
  16. hduty's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    #36  
    That BenQ sure looks nice.

    However, the dedicated 'OK'-button on the pda2k probably ensures better one-handed use. If it wasn't for that I'd go with the BenQ in a heartbeat.


    ************ EDITED ***************
    I just zoomed in on a picture of the BenQ, and the Return-button (<-|) also has "OK" written on it.
    If this button has the same function as the OK button on the pda2k, than it's settled for me.
    Last edited by hduty; 10/26/2004 at 10:27 AM.
  17. #37  
    I am making the same decision between the 650 and the PPC6600. Looking at the usability of both devices i believe they are comparable in both the phone and PDA area. Its true that the 650 will have tight phone integration... however, the Hofo review states that the PDA2k (6600) is comparable if not better in some areas due to the voice command. The PPC6600 is slightly larger, but the rounded shape makes it easy to handle.

    Multimedia wise, the PPC is better due to the larger screen and built in video player. Also, the camera version will have a flash. The only disadvantage of the 6600 is the slightly larger size and the 320x240 screen. However, the 320x320 screen on the 650 doesnt seem to be utilized will by software, so that advantage is null.

    I am willing to live with the slightly larger form factor. It is still pocketable so its ok for me. Also, the advantage in software, multitasking, multimedia, EVDO is something that was missing from the treo. I dont like the fact that I had to buy a bunch of 3rd party software just to get my treo to have the same functionality that comes in the box with PPC. The 3rd party software added makes palm more unstable than ppc.

    However, I plan to try both the 650 and 6600 as soon as they are out before I make my decision. But right now, my money is on the 6600
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    There is no reason to hurry into this, guys. These two PDA phones will be subject to intense scrutiny over the next few weeks. Personally, I am not willing to go for either one of these devices until I can hold one in my hands.
    I agree. But with both coming out in probably the same week, and since I need buy a new phone since I sold my 600....I want to have all the info to weigh the options onces I hold one of each in my hand.

    The form factor is a big enough issue for me, that I would take the lesser specs that suite my needs over a combersome form factor.

    We should have both Sprint phone in our hands in as little as two weeks.

    Anyone know where they currently have GSM PDA2K phones in US to look at to get a feel for the form factor?
  19. #39  
    If form factor is a big issue, than other peoples perspectives should not matter. You cant really judge form factor until you try the phone out yourself. I suggest you buy both and return the one you dont like. Thats what sprints 14 day return policy is for.

    That will be what I am doing!
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    this will make you think thrice

    http://www.godmode.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8641



    Wolwol,

    I have seen a number of these PPC and the one very significant thing that Pa1mOne got right this time on the TRE0 650 was the keyboard. Many other forum members are talking about WIFI, but the keyboard and UI are the most signficant factors to me.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions