Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfbeast
    Size with the keyboard open does not matter to me. The only place size will matter is when I hafta put the phone in my pocket. When I am using it... i'd rather have a bigger keyboard for easier typing...

but it is true that one handed notes will be difficult with the PPC. Maybe i'll start taking voice memos or something
    that remind me.
    PDA2K is able to take .mp3 voice recording and attach the note to any apps. (email, PIM, various free form note organizer...)
    Here is a side by side picture of

h6300, Ijam and PDA2k (plus C500, which is approximately the size of BenQ P50)

http://www.mpx200.org/modules/gallery/PPCSummit?page=3
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    The most obvious use of multitasking is

making a phonecall + doing something else
    Treo 600 will do this - phone call plus anything else it can do. Presumably the 650 will do it too.

also, ebook + music. or music + surfing the web. some people prefer listening to music and playing game (turning of game sound effect)
    Treo 600 will play music while you use any other app (although it does slow them down a bit)
    Here is a side by side picture of

h6300, Ijam and PDA2k (plus C500, which is approximately the size of BenQ P50)

http://www.mpx200.org/modules/gallery/PPCSummit?page=3
    Confirms my previous feeling: with the keyboard extended, the PDA2k is far too big for me to consider using it.

Perhaps I'll get the Identity Multi
  5.    #185  
    some common apps that is not available for treo 650

- Faxing. (PDA2K come with free fax software so it can behaves like stand alone fax machine including receiving)

- BT GPS. (driving direction)

- various big GPL tool

- WiFi VNC

There are the obvious result from more advance hardware/OS integration. There are also advance softwares that is only available in PPC. (too many to name)
    This why the decision is harder than I thought, as the 650 closes many of the gaps between the PPC-6600 and itself to the point that not any one feature is a deal breaker for me.

Faxing: Nice. I could really use this and it is only the PPC-6600

BT GPS: The 650 will be able to this as well.

GPL Tool: I have no idea what this is. could you explain it?

WIFI VNC: The CMDA version does not have it, which makes this a mute point for over 50% of Treo Users who use Sprint and Vorizon.

Software: Yes I would interested in knowing what software is only available on the PPC that is not on a Palm. I have never had a PPC and I am going to make a decision as soon as both the PPC-6600 and Treo 650 comes out, and depending on the software you are refering to, it could be a major deciding factor.
  6.    #186  
    Another Question:

What is the difference, if any, between the PDA2K and the PPC-6600?
  7.    #187  
    We were talking about the voice command options with the PDA2K earlier......I just read the following:

"You cannot listen to music or output standard audio from i-Mate PDA2K to your Bluetooth Headset so you cannot use Microsoft Voice Command in conjunction with a Bluetooth headset. Currently it only supports phone calls but Carrier Devices may upgrade the Bluetooth Stack to have those features enabled in the future."
    http://pocketpcdubai.com/i-mate_PPC/...iew_page4.html

They are saying there MAYBE a patch for this. Has anyone used their BT headset with the voice command and got it to work?
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Another Question:

What is the difference, if any, between the PDA2K and the PPC-6600?
    It's just branding.
    Wow! A lot of info and specs to digest on as to the best pda/phone on the planet. Just remember that this is Treocentral
    NOT PDA2k central thus our biases toward the next level treo will spill out onto our posts. At howardforums Farz and afew others ripped the t600 to shreds while hailing this ppc device. The real issue for me is usability and batt. life and with the removable battery that can be replaced with a backup seals the deal for me!
    Plus the Hershey bar form-factor, hi-res screen, bluetooth and a "rebuilt from the ground up" mentality keeps me on board with Palm One. No doubt people from this forum like Mgauss and others got the attention from P1 with their gripes and forced P1 to elevate their game! This is our money, our forum, our suggestions and we can leverage our power against P1 to give us what we want or face disappointing sales! That beats running over to different platforms, changing parties just because something new seeks 15 min. of fame! I'm loyal and demanding and that for me is just enough.
  10.    #190  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600kings
    Wow! A lot of info and specs to digest on as to the best pda/phone on the planet. Just remember that this is Treocentral
    NOT PDA2k central thus our biases toward the next level treo will spill out onto our posts. At howardforums Farz and afew others ripped the t600 to shreds while hailing this ppc device. The real issue for me is usability and batt. life and with the removable battery that can be replaced with a backup seals the deal for me!
    Plus the Hershey bar form-factor, hi-res screen, bluetooth and a "rebuilt from the ground up" mentality keeps me on board with Palm One. No doubt people from this forum like Mgauss and others got the attention from P1 with their gripes and forced P1 to elevate their game! This is our money, our forum, our suggestions and we can leverage our power against P1 to give us what we want or face disappointing sales! That beats running over to different platforms, changing parties just because something new seeks 15 min. of fame! I'm loyal and demanding and that for me is just enough.
    I am a Palm fan. I am a HUGE Treo fan, and I like the enhancements of the 650, but if it falls short enough for people like me to take serious notice of another phone (a PPC at that), then that should be saying volumes to P1. Look at the volume of responses this debate generated. P1 was the leader hands down with the 600. the 650 I think is good, but fell short of undisputed leader. I am really hoping the 700 retains that title.

$600 is a lot of hard earned money and with my work being on the road so much, it is more important for me to be the most productive than to stay with a model just for the name brand.

As I said before, I upgrade every year. No matter if I decide to go with the PPC-6600 or the 650, I am still hanging high hopes that P1 will take notice of what is currently available on the market NOW and hit a home run with the 700.
    Hi all. I wasn't much interested in PDA2K until I read that Pocket PC Dubai's review of PDA2k. I now see that I-Mate PDA2K is just another name for O2 XDA IIs. The earlier XDA II are well supported around my neck of the woods.

Okay, now to my question. Said review's battery test indicates that PDA2K with "GPRS connection is enabled and the screen backlight is set to maximum" will last about 6hrs. How long do you guys expect Treo 650 will last in a similar test? I estimate that my Treo 600 with GPRS connection enabled and screen max brightness, will last more than 12hrs. It's a rough estimate since I don't have unlimited GPRS plan. I'd appreciate a better estimate from someone.

I think 6hrs is a little too short a battery life. I look for a minimum of 8 hrs under heavy usage for an untethered device. So that I can confidently use it whole working day with only a recharge at home overnight.

I see also said review indicates PDA2K with "WiFi adapter is enabled and the screen backlight is set to maximum" will only last 3hrs. That's less than my Fujitsu P1120 sub-1kg notebook with its extended battery giving 6 hrs WiFi heavy usage.

regards, sabre23t =^.^=
    Thou shall not speak negatively about the PDA2k or thou will feel the wrath of the PDA2k zealots!
    PDA2K doesn't appear to have EDGE which makes me wonder about how long I could actually hold onto it without tearing out my eyes waiting on stuff to download Otherwise the PDA2K/MDAIII looks to be what I want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    Thou shall not speak negatively about the PDA2k or thou will feel the wrath of the PDA2k zealots!
    Actually I'm more afraid of the 650 zealots once the 650 is available for sale. A lot of people are going to sell their firstborn off into slavery to afford the phone and are going to come down hard on anyone that even hints at it not being perfect.

Much like last year with the 600, anyone that suggested that a 160x160 screen / no bluetooth / no wifi was not good enough got a lot of abuse.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

honestly, I'd get the PDA2K if it had EDGE support. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $Treo650$ $will$ $be$ $the$ $only$ $SmartPhone$ $with$ $EDGE$ ($correct$ $me$ $if$ $I$'$m$ $wrong$).
    I think we're all right in that we want the same thing: which is more bang for our buck! An ergonomically-friendly cell phone with a high IQ that performs well!
    Until we tinker, play, molest and handle this device, it is still premature to yea or nay. The choice should be based upon personal needs for sure. Some may need more internal memory, voice dialing, serial support, wifi, symbian etc.. while others get by on a Samsung N400! The Treo600 appealed to me on form and later substance. For sure there were bugs in their architecture (my third phone) and we tolerated it well believing in the possibilities and just hanging inthere. Now an upgrade is forthcoming and along with other competitive beast devices, this coming year will sizzle with talk of phones that "make coffee for you inthe morn" and among them will be the "Fifty" (fiddy). Why else would we be wasting our times delving and checking for "killers". In closing I hope you all get the phones of your dreams, do commerce and have fun. The Treo line is here to stay tho'.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Since the Sprint version of the PD2K will not have WiFi the only thing that separates the two is size. Treo win in that area.
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    Since the Sprint version of the PD2K will not have WiFi the only thing that separates the two is size. Treo win in that area.
    It's not just the Treo 650 missing WiFi - the Audiovox 6600 (PDA2K) coming to Sprint has no WiFi either - another Sprint suppression.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    The sprint version of PDA2k doesnt need Wifi because it has EVDO! Treo doesnt have EVDO.
    I think thats too simplistic of an argument. Size is a factor... but there are many other factors to consider when comparing the PPC6600 to T650. Also, wifi cards can be added to the PPC easily.. but P1 still does not have drivers for the T650.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast