Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Aside from smaller footprint, this device seems to have everything the 650 will have, plus a whole lot more! Granted, it is PPC, but this thing is very cool. What does everyone think?
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

"I didn't think it was possible, but this actually sucks and blows."
    - Bart Simpson
    Sorry if this has already been posted.
    Treo user hands on with Treo600 and PDA2K(PPC phone) with comparison pics.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=480707
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    Aside from smaller footprint, this device seems to have everything the 650 will have, plus a whole lot more! Granted, it is PPC, but this thing is very cool. What does everyone think?
    The two biggest things are:

1. It's PPC - enough said for many of us.

2. It's enormous compared to the Treo.

Other than that, it's pretty cool. There's been lots of talk about this phone. If you search a little you'll find a lot more info.

Mike
  4.    #4  
    Here is a geat comparison link. It automatically switches from GPRS to WLAN, depending on what you are around! Why the hell doesn't Palm just MAKE SOMETHING LIKE THIS IN PALM OS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

- Bart Simpson
    EDGE and 1.3 Meg camera, if rumors are true...

... and you will not look like you are talking into a PDA.
    From a specs viewpoint it's got a lower pixelcount, 240x320, but it is nice if you need WiFi, if pricy and chunky.
    I think that it won't be offered by any other carriers except T-mobile because it has wifi in it.

Keys also look flat and not raised. I can't imagine typing on it would be any fun. Imagine using a touch screen keyboard vs. a real keyboard.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    blah... Ocean18 it's unfortunate that even when ppl bring to light other phones that have great features they just automatically cut it down because they are "fanboys". i have done a great deal of research in looking at that phone, let's be real folks, from what we've heard, BOTH phones have their drawbacks. #1, size is your own opinion. how many people of you think the treo is too large? ok. how many of you think it's impossible to type on treo? ok. everyone has their own opinion. it does look a little strange but.. hey...didn't the treo at first? don't be so closed to new phones/ideas until you hold it in your hand. it's BARELY bigger than the treo with the keyboard closed. why? notice that screen that's twice as large? ohhh ok. that means for those of us that want to watch tv episodes or movies in a screen resolution better than current 160x160 it's ideal. better widescreen as well. and what's this? oh - you can watch it sideways as well, thanks to windows mobile phone second edition. as for the gsm edition, it doesnt have edge, but it does have wifi. for the cdma version, it has evdo but no wifi. btw... does palm plan on allowing the treo 650 to use wifi cards? only time will tell. but let's keep this civil... in all seriousness, both look to be promising phones but both lack all the features ppl want. tmobile, cingular, verizon and sprint all have signed on for the gsm and cdma version of that phone.
    This is the only other phone I would consider if the Treo650 does not live up to my expectations. Looks great other than it being PPC.

By the way, I thinks Sprint will carry it but it will go by another name.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    audiovox ppc 6600 or something... or harrier 6600... i always refer to it as a combination of 10 devices

the xda III/mda III/Daxian cu928/htc blue angel/htc harrier/audiovox ppc6600/imate pda2k/o2 something... the list goes on

i haven't quite taken the plunge into PPC (since i've invested a lot into palm apps) but i am considering it. camera isn't really a concern to me but i am going to try out some ppc's this weekend and see how they work
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    i haven't quite taken the plunge into PPC (since i've invested a lot into palm apps) but i am considering it.
    I had the Samsung SPH-i700 and I really loved the screen size, resolution, etc. I did like the Windows feel to it as well. The main thing I did not like, which made me consider the Treo line, was being forced to use the stylus to perform basic operations on it. But now, with the design of the PDA2k, that problem has been solved! Really, this thing has it all! The only thing it lacks is EDGE, so I am told. What makes a device EDGE compatible anyway? Why is the PDA2k not EDGE compatible?

Regardless, I have found my PDA - sorry to say it, but goodbye Treo and hello i-Mate! PLMO could learn a thing or two from these guys about giving their consumers what they ask for!

- Bart Simpson
    I'm confused as to what cariers will offer this i-Mate (or whatever it's name is). If I knew this and saw for sure that it was coming out, and which feature set it would have, it would be interesting to me. It seems like it has "everything" as long as you aren't on CDMA (lacks wifi like the Treo in that case) or GSM (lacks EDGE). Thus let's break it down and determine what it really has that's better.

And while size and keyboard are opinions, there are definitely things that more people would like. I might have the opinion that I like to have a full sized desktop keyboard (with a phone attached to that) to carry around with me, but I doubt that would be popular. I might also like a super big phone or a super small phone, however I think the bigger the phone the tougher to carry (most people will agree with this) and the smaller the phone, the tougher it is to have a useful interface (most people will agree with this).

What I'm getting to is that there will always be people who prefer one thing over another, but I when I said that the keyboard with actually tactile feedback was superior, I was stating that "for most people." If you are in the minority of people who don't like tactile feedback or find that it's simply not important, then it's probably an excellent choice.

To me that tactile feedback is key and no phone without is "has it all."
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    Regardless, I have found my PDA - sorry to say it, but goodbye Treo and hello i-Mate! PLMO could learn a thing or two from these guys about giving their consumers what they ask for!
    That may well be the case, but you need to experience handing and using the device (any device) in your daily routine before deciding that it is the one for you.

While you could decide on many pieces of equipment based on specs and pics alone, IMO this doesn't cut it for a highly personal device like a phone-PDA combination. This would be like deciding to buy a car without ever seeing it in person and driving it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I'm confused as to what cariers will offer this i-Mate (or whatever it's name is). If I knew this and saw for sure that it was coming out, and which feature set it would have, it would be interesting to me. It seems like it has "everything" as long as you aren't on CDMA (lacks wifi like the Treo in that case) or GSM (lacks EDGE). Thus let's break it down and determine what it really has that's better.
    Info about Verizon's version of the HTC Blue Angel, Verizon branded:
    http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...ic.php?t=31029
    As you mentioned, the CDMA version will lack WiFi, but there are SDIO WiFi cards that actually work on the PPC platform.

Info about Cingular/AT&T version of the HTC Blue Angel, Siemen's branded:
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/6548012790166434/

thread at hofo about Cingular's version:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...5&pagenumber=3

Review of the HTC Blue Angel, Qtek 9090 branded:
    http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/rev...angel-en.shtml

Guide showing the different brandings per carrier of HTC devices.
    Note, on that chart for T-Mobile it shows MDAIII. I believe that is only available for T-Mobile Germany.
    http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/3201.html

Hope that's enough info for you
    Gentlemen, this device shall set you back nearly twice the cost of a 650
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    good job stephman. seems like the carriers are T mobile, Sprint, Cingular/att and Verizon (not in that order)

As for the different names - it is a HTC manufactured phone/pda but allows companies to put their name on it (Siemens SX66, Imate PDA2k, Daxian CU928, etc.)

argh cleveland, you and your "new math". The GSM UNBRANDED is currently $800. it's suppose to arrive priced at 599-699 pricerange before contract rebates. how is that 2x price of 650? i haven't heard of any upgrade program for 300$ for the 650

all unbranded's / unlocked are usually $200-$300 higher due to you being able to use any carrier
    Quote Originally Posted by GroverCleveland
    Gentlemen, this device shall set you back nearly twice the cost of a 650
    The dead, fat, former president is correct!
    The going rate right now is around $850 and up.
    To me the interesting part of this discussion is that it seems carriers (besides Tmobile) are willing to allow phones with Wifi to work on their networks. This tells be that more than likely the Treo 650 should be allowed to use SDIO cards without political static.
    WOW. This is a very cool device, but for the same price I could buy 2 treos and take my wife out for dinner and a movie. Hopefully the price will go down by the time Sprint introduces a CDMA version of it. Bring the price down by a couple hundred $$ and it's goodbye treo for me too. I really loved reading the reviews, thanks Ocean18!
    <a href=http://www.floydpinkerton.net>My Homepage</a><br>
    <a href=http://www.totaldialup.net>TotalDialup.com</a> My business<br>
    <a href=http://www.coverupsounds.com>Coverupsounds.com</a> (my small contribution)
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by FloydPinkerton
    WOW. This is a very cool device, but for the same price I could buy 2 treos and take my wife out for dinner and a movie. Hopefully the price will go down by the time Sprint introduces a CDMA version of it. Bring the price down by a couple hundred $$ and it's goodbye treo for me too. I really loved reading the reviews, thanks Ocean18!
    My pleasure... You can buy one right now for $850, and the carrier versions will be $600. That's in the very same ballpark as the Treo 650 will be - in my mind it is an easy sell!

- Bart Simpson
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast