Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    No, I agree. Slugfests are no good, and would definatly help no one. At the same time I think its important to be acurate with the information we share here. Since we had basically repeated ourselves a few times on the same topic, I attempted to be clearer.
    there is no accuracy to be established when it comes to expressing opinions. we obviously dont share them, and i feel personally that your opinion of the imate will change as well over the course of the next couple of months. i guess we'll just have to wait and see if a new forum called "imate central" is created where disgruntled and disenchanted imate users congregate to complain about this and that..
    I basically came from the PPC so I know the joys, and the heartaches (including all the resets!). I've stuck with the Treo the longest. Yes, all the bells and whistles come with the imate pda2k, and I'd be a hypocrite if I said I'm not impressed, coz I am. However, how can I give up on my treo? Keycaps 600, Profiles, callfilter1.2 - these are basically the reasons I'm never moving away from my t600 (unless it falls apart). How else can I "hide" important information? How else can I screen calls and sms? Etc., etc. Yeah, there's the humming, the bad camera, gawd-awful screen, lack of BT and WiFi support, but I've never really cared. My average day revolves around sending SMS and occasional calls. I guess what it comes down to is, what are you going to use it for? I'm happy with my t600, but I'll wait for the t700 as the worthy successor... If Palm One is still around that is
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spacehog
    well your point about the treo feeling incomplete out-o-the-box is well taken, however, im actually happy that it doesnt comes with a cradle, nor a proper headset, nor any useful software.. know why? cause palmOne isnt charging you 900$ for the thing, it's charging you $600 at best.
    $600: perhaps in the US.
    Like I mentioned in another thread, here in Spain the 600 cost over $1000 up until a few weeks ago.
    I just searched for the pda2k on Expansys: I can get it for 830 Eur.

Thanks to farzonalmaneih's great review on HF, the pda2k is beginning to seem like a very interesting option.
    well we can only take msrp in consideration when comparing prices, and im not so sure the pda2k is available in spain, so like i said before, apples with apples. regardless of all that, eveb if you tell me their both priced the same (the 600 and imate2, or 650 and pda2k), id go for the treo in both situations, for different reasons.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    well we can only take msrp in consideration when comparing prices
    The 600 cost 799 Euro (= +$1000) on Palm's site. Sorry, I should have been clearer on that.
    I just looked up the Treo on expansys, and sells for 614 Eur. right now.

im not so sure the pda2k is available in spain
    According to Expansys.es it is, although it does say 'ordered on request' for availability....
    Hey Spacehog, I see exactly where you are going. The truth is that the pda2k is not really out in the US. It is a device that works in the US. When the Treo 600 came out in its infant stage it was being sold for about $900 from the same markets that were selling the Treo 600 when it first came out (including eBay). I agree with you on most points, but the reason I know this because I remember shopping around.

Anyways I have another question, my company is going to start using Good. Basically I am hardly ever in the office, always on the road flying in and out working with different companies (I am a consultant). A rep from Good was telling me their support for additional Microsoft applications is outstanding on the PocketPC. I currently use Good on my treo. Can anyone compare the difference?

[QUOTE=spacehog]the treo, when it came out, was never 900$. at least not in North America. when the pda2k hits the streets in the US, the product will have been delayed long enough for the price to come down to 600$, sure, but you can turn the argument over and say that the Treo, just released in the UAE where im presently residing, is over 400$ less expensive than the pda2k, which launched 2 weeks after it. we gotta compare apples to apples.

right now, this moment, the treo is 600$ and the imate is 900$. we're trying to put together an argument for or against buying the treo or pda2k. so for right now, the pda2k is overpriced and the treo, with carrier discounts and such, is very affordable. once the pda2k price comes down, the 650 will be out and this will be a whole new ball game.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    I would agree that email and Microsoft Office compatability would be the most important things on such a device (after it being a phone of course). If you been in this industry long enough you will know that anything microsoft will be more compatible and microsoft does that on purpose.

What a bunch of mularchy! Then why is it that DTG7 has better overall compatiblity with MS Office file types than pocket word excel? This has not even in dispute among those knowledgable in the pda/smartphone market. Yes it is true the Treo 600 had a weak and pathetic software bundle, but the 650 will come with the latest DGT7, versamil support activesync wireless support and etc OUT THE BOX! I would wager that these apps give the Treo 650 just as much or better compatibility with MS products than the PDA2k...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    gfunk,
    sigh. it's MULARKEY!!!! btw, i'll join the x50v wagon when they start putting a phone and keyboard in there. i'm still optimistic about Sprint announcing a relatively cheap tethering plan. they will have to soon in order to compete me thinks.
    sledgie
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    What a bunch of mularchy! Then why is it that DTG7 has better overall compatiblity with MS Office file types than pocket word excel? This has not even in dispute among those knowledgable in the pda/smartphone market. Yes it is true the Treo 600 had a weak and pathetic software bundle, but the 650 will come with the latest DGT7, versamil support activesync wireless support and etc OUT THE BOX! I would wager that these apps give the Treo 650 just as much or better compatibility with MS products than the PDA2k...
    I have documents to go (full version) on my Treo600. It sucks. Yes, this new version (very new indeed) might be better. I am sure we will see an update from MS soon enough.

How about PDF? Palm's PDF sucks! You have to convert it before even viewing it on your Treo. Adobe has a PPC PDF viewer (free btw) that gives you native.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    effin BS. DTG isn't that far more advance compared to pExcel/Pword. I've seen DTG 7 open a native files, and it's not 100% perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    I've seen DTG 7 open a native files, and it's not 100% perfect.
    LOL! Not 100% perfect? Know what? I've seen Microsoft Word running on Windows XP have trouble opening a native Word file, for pete's sake.
    got a few ?s....is there a case with belt clip available for pda2k? hate carrying in pocket. how does screen resolution compare to T650? camera w/flash vers coming? when to sprint us? will I have to give up unlim vision or pay more? does it rec video & will it use pic/vid share? how's web browser comp to blazer? will work as bt modem w/dun profile for sprint?....or can be tethered?
    thanx ahead of time
    john
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123