Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    OQO is here! Featured in the NY Times and available on their website. Anyone going to step up. Would love to hear some first hand reviews.

Putting Your PC in a Pocket
    grr. . . stupid nytimes requiring registration. . .

wanna post a synopsis?
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

See it Here
    Heh, I know about the oqo, I was just interested in what the nytimes had to say about it.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

i remember when they first announced developing this thing... i signed up for their mailing list and all for them to tell me when they are available to buy... funny- haven't gotten anything...
    i remember that the price was supposed to be in the low $1000 range... 1800 is way too much for that thing... i dont care how small it is... my ipaq 4700 can do all that thing can, for over a thousand dollars less...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    I'm with you Kenundrum about it being too price, but your ipaq 4700 runs any XP application?
    Seems like the OGO is an oversized PDA...Why not just settle in with the Treo.
    no it doesn't run any xp app... man i would have to change my pants if that happened...
    but i have begun to use my ipaq more and more where i would normally use my laptop... the vga screen comes in handy and with the right pocket pc applications, you can be very very productive. however i do keep my PIM info only my treo cause i always have that with me, and only the ipaq while at work or when i know i'll have wifi.

oqo seems like a tablet/laptop replacement for a salesperson. more of an undersized laptop than an oversized pda... all the guys at work that are assigned ultraportable laptops with no built in optical drive complain because they still have to carry all the laptop stuff around- i guess with this thing, you could cut the weight and bulk down considerably, although you'd still need a optical drive... it just seems like overkill because at that pricepoint- it is most likely going to be someone's primary computer, and while having xp in your pocket is great, i would imagine that using such a small screen/keyboard a lot would get real old real fast...
    Last edited by Kenundrum; 10/13/2004 at 09:03 PM.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    And that's why it's going to be a niche device. It does more than a PDA, but it's the price of a laptop. They need to bring into the $800 range and they've got something. At some point computers will gravitate to look more like the OQO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara

wanna post a synopsis?

http://www.bugmenot.com/
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  12. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Pretty cool device. When my laptop dies I would consider one. Another cool palmtop computer is the Flipstart. Although it is not available yet.
    the flipstart is supposed to be cheaper too.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara

wanna post a synopsis?
    it is a free registration you know...
  15. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    Really. I was just drooling over the website demo of the FlipStart:

FlipStart
    Not a very favorable review from PC World....

Link
    Quote Originally Posted by coisty1856
    Not a very favorable review from PC World....

Link
    Ouch!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    Where does it say the flip start is cheaper? All of these gadgets will run alot faster if they can install win98se on it.
    The PC world review is year-old now. That was the OQO model 01.

I saw the 6700 which sparked my interest with the OQO again, so I went look. Fast forward to today (Oct 05) What you can get now is the OQO model 01+. What I see as the major difference is the 30g drive, 512 ram and USB 2.0.

It is still the 1ghz crusoe processor, the 512 ram could make a big difference with speed. If only it has a CDMA or GSM radio in there, I would be so very excited with it...
    While the extra RAM would help, I've used a crusoe with 1gb of RAM and it still crawled.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast