Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I'm not sure, but I think Hawkins may have a love child in Redmond.

Just saw the pics of the BenQ P50 and it looks like it could be a fraternal twin to the Treo 650, with PPC in place of the Palm OS.

Here's the original news site:
    http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=1412

Here's the Gizmodo write-up:
    http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/benq...ttt-023000.php

I'm thinking the Palm lawyers are already drooling over the potential lawsuit on this one. . .
    I guess next we will hear how a thumboard and 5 way scroll wheel are the next great Microsoft "innovation"
    That keyboard looks AWFUL to use.
    Can you say "fugly"......
    i dont know what y'all talkin bout....then BenQ looks on point.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    That keyboard looks AWFUL to use.
    I agree. And it doesn't appear to have lighting for the keyboard. What happens when it's dark and you need to make a call? You type a key, say "Crap! Wrong one!" then try and find the backspace... "Crap! Wrong one!" (repeat numerous times) Ten minutes later you wish you had the real thing (a Treo) instead of its evil clone!
    For some reason it reminds me of a 1978 TI calculator. I also don't know how you manage to push up and down on the d-pad. Futuremore, who besides Tmobile is going to carry it if it has wifi?
    Images that came to mind:

KARR (the evil twin of KITT)
    Bizarro Superman

Quote Originally Posted by theFourth
    Ten minutes later you wish you had the real thing (a Treo) instead of its evil clone!
    I dunno guys... quad band, built in WiFi, built in Bluetooth, MS backing, advertised 5 hour talk time... This to me looks like it has taken point blank aim at the Treo (since, after all the Treo is designed for the business sector)... in my mind, as a business owner and one who makes the descisions on what phones my guys and gals carry... this is one attractive device.
    Personal foul - piling on - 15 yard penalty guys.

It's not as refined as our beloved Treo, but no reason to jump on the guys. First off, if they can do 240x320 in same form factor as the Treo, why can't we go landscape (320x480) on the Treo - oops, I forgot that's on the list for the Treo 800 in 2006 - my FOURTH Treo by then.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonWilliam
    I dunno guys... quad band, built in WiFi, built in Bluetooth, MS backing, advertised 5 hour talk time... This to me looks like it has taken point blank aim at the Treo (since, after all the Treo is designed for the business sector)... in my mind, as a business owner and one who makes the descisions on what phones my guys and gals carry... this is one attractive device.
    It might be lovely on the inside, but it has an ugly skin.

For what it's worth, Treo 650 is all the things you mentioned above, except the wifi. That might be possible through an add-on card too. And yes I was including the MS backing through Palm's deal with them announced this week. Oh and the Treo 600 has advertised 6 hour talk time if you are talking quad band. I'm guessing the Treo 650 has about the same.

You can bet that the Treo will run on all major carriers except Nextel, while I don't see a CDMA version.
    JasonWilliams missed another good point:

NO FREAKIN' ANTENNAE! When will Palm put everything INSIDE (including WiFi) so we don't have to have anything hanging out of the phone.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Best option: get BenQ to license PalmOS...

If the P50 had been released with PalmOS the Treo 650 would indeed have a serious contender... We'll have to keep our eyes and ears open - remember there are a dozen new Palm Powered smartphones to be released in the coming 12 months...

Cheers, W.
    Bluetooth, wi-fi, hi-res screen and landscape view... Good lookin device despite "fugly" skin.
    I agree. And it doesn't appear to have lighting for the keyboard. What happens when it's dark and you need to make a call? You type a key, say "Crap! Wrong one!" then try and find the backspace... "Crap! Wrong one!" (repeat numerous times) Ten minutes later you wish you had the real thing (a Treo) instead of its evil clone!
    Reminds me of the good ol' days with my Treo 180
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    All emotions aside (my heart also beats for the Treo and Palm OS) -

No matter how ugly it is - this is a strong signal from Hardware (BenQ) and Software-Developers (MS) which should make some of the folks at Palm aware of what's going on outside Palm. Competitors aren't sleeping. Instead, they've brought a 'clone' to the market that's not only better than the Treo 600, but possibly also earlier than the 650.

Now what I'm interested in (and a quick Google search would probably do the job):
    - What are the dimensions? I remember reading somewhere that the P50 is slightly larger than the Treo (does that include the antenna?)
    - What are the specs (especially processor and memory)

Other than that I totally agree with JasonWilliam - from a business point of view this would make me consider buying a T650 thrice...
    i know nothing of the phone but I would be shocked if the keys aren't backlit..that's design 101. plus those keys look translucent so I bet the whole keys light up.

personally, i don't think it's ugly, very utilitarian, but not ugly. the VOQ...now that's ugly
    Mmmm....

Makes me almost want to jump ship.

I guur-aahn-tee that the camera is much better then the Treo 650's.

TheHandlessKing
    I wasn't mentioning looks as much as functionality...look how small the space bar is. Look at the location of the number keys. What is the other key for the backspace button? Look at placement of special characters...it just seems to be a mess. Also, the 4 main buttons on the front...what do those do? They all have the same symbols. Just seems like a usability nightmare.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    Reminds me of the good ol' days with my Treo 180
    Good ol' days!? Ouch!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I also don't know how you manage to push up and down on the d-pad.
    Sony-Ericsson phones have joystick-like 5-way buttons and they are a breeze to use.

Chris.
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderman
    Best option: get BenQ to license PalmOS...
    My "best" would be Palm licensing PPC for the Treo 1000.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast