Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    (Follow the link to the Korean website, there are more photos.)

The BenQ P50 is a Windows Mobile phone with Keyboard, Wifi, BT, 320x240 screen, landscape mode and so on...

It's smaller than I thought...

previous thread:
    Do you think that the BenQ P50 can rival/beat the Treo 600 or Treo Ace?
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Very nice indeed. I even like it more than the MPx.

Any launch dates beyond Taiwan?
    What processor does the BenQ have. I bet it's not 333mhz.
    that thing looks like it could use a slim fast diet... looks a little chunkie to me. Not that I should be one to comment on other ppl (or smartphone's) weights...

Timmay
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I agree that it is the best looking PPCPE that is either on the market or on the way to the market
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Doesn't matter how nice it is, it doesn't run on Palm OS. Most of us simply have too much $$ invested in 3rd party software to switch.
    The BenQ P50 has wifi, Bluetooth, a 1.3 megapixel camera w/flash, a 262k color screen, a 416mhz, processor, 64mb of RAM, 64mb of ROM, landscape viewing!, a joystick, NO EXTERNAL ANTENNAE, and sd card slot, a voice recorder and it's roughly the same size as the treo. How anyone can dis on this device is beyond me. This is the device I will be waiting for. Forget the mpx, treo 650, and mda III. Each one of them lack what the P50 has: either one handed use/typing(MPX), size(MDAIII), external antennae and wifi(TREO 650). Nothing touches this thing. I have been reading threads on numerous sites about all smartphones (because I think I'm addicted to it and can't stop!) and one thing I always hear about the treo is that it has a tendency to need to be replaced because it stops working in some fashion or another and that pa1mOne is taking their sweet time coming out with a device that measures up to the competition feature wise. There are a lot of new devices coming out that beat the treo hands down feature wise and I believe palm is making a mistake not bringing their best to claim the top spot. Sure they are selling lots of 600's but I never bought one because it didn't have bluetooth and if the technology is out there to use a wireless headset then I want to use a device that takes advantage of that, period, even if it's just from a safety standpoint alone(driving a car and holding a phone to your ear or tangling yourself up in a cord isn't safe to me and I've almost been killed more than once by doing this myself or having someone almost kill me doing it themselves while driving). I even got a bluetooth phone for my mom (who is 53! and NOT a technically inclined person) and my fiance (who still doesn't know how to text or check her email on her phone) just to keep them safe while driving. So because palm takes their time and decides what is important for me in a device I say: FORGET LOYALTY (to software or operating system or manufacturer) and JUST GET WHAT FITS YOUR NEEDS AND LIFESTYLE!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the long rant but after reading so much from so many closed minded people I sort of had to let it out (and why not when proof of the smartest design of a smartphone is due out soon).
    looks quite nice but...and it's a big big but for me...windows o/s yuk. Lots of lurrvely viruses, resets, worms...give me good ol' steady, safe, virus free palm anyday. What's with this obsession with wifi ??
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by hduty
    Very nice indeed. I even like it more than the MPx.

Any launch dates beyond Taiwan?
    No U.S release date to far, we can just hope that one of the carrier is going to pick it up.

My only disappointment is the fact that the screen is QVGA. All the recent phones in Japan have high resolution screens.
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayalex
    looks quite nice but... What's with this obsession with wifi ??
    Obsession? It's enthusiasm for advanced hi-tech performance. If you are into wireless -and most of us here are- it's pretty simple: wi-fi is broadband wireless. Try it, you'll like it. Note that if you live in a fairly populated area, open access is all over the place. Plus, of course, many of us have installed wireless networks in our homes and offices. Of course, this matters to you only if you need, value, or simply want broadband browsing, mail, sms, etc. on your handheld away from your desk.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    If I am spending $600 for a device today, then it should include certain features that the rest of the devices in that range include. This means 1.3mp camera, BT, a good amount of RAM, expandable memory, hi-res screen, WiFi, etc. To come out with one or more of these missing or crippled is to ask people to shop around. If I want something less I can buy a blackberry 7100 for $200 and a Sidekick 2 for the same. Certain things are expected at that price point that were not expected when the original Treo came to market. Well the market has changed.
    Engadget has reported that one handed navigation is non existent in the BenQ P50, unfortunately.

TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot:
    It is hard to get into a new device when we actually haven't seen it. Usually when something gets to stateside, it is different depending on who the carrier is. IF this device gets to the US and is carried by Sprint, then I will definitely consider it. I like the better camera, I like more memory, I like wifi. My concern is that it will support bt better than the 650 and that with all the radios in this thing, how will it run on battery power? I want to get away from having to charge more than once a day. My .02
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by braincell
    64mb of RAM
    Last I heard, the trend is for software to get larger. What is wrong with these convergent device developers?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHandlessKing
    Engadget has reported that one handed navigation is non existent in the BenQ P50, unfortunately.

TheHandlessKing
    Hopefully WM2005 will better address this issue. A lot of thrid party programs are beginning to have this functionality built in, like PIE plus for example.

At the same time, if you are not afraid to touch the screen itself or use voice-command than you already have one handed operation.

Once they work real 5 way navigation into the OS and better address SMS the palm OS is dead.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayalex
    looks quite nice but...and it's a big big but for me...windows o/s yuk. Lots of lurrvely viruses, resets, worms...give me good ol' steady, safe, virus free palm anyday. What's with this obsession with wifi ??
    Rather bizarre opinion to have. Do you think this thing is loaded with XP?? Exactly how many viruses and worms can you name that have plagued WinCE?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Rather bizarre opinion to have. Do you think this thing is loaded with XP?? Exactly how many viruses and worms can you name that have plagued WinCE?
    Actually, this is quite typical for palm users who have never tried the ppc os.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I will check tompda later. I doubt it's for sale in taiwan yet. Looks very good, however.
    yes I am a Treo user, so - know that up front, but - I held one of these bad boys at CTIA in New Orleans last month, and my take was this: Noticably larger than the Treo in size and overall perceived heft. Keys were small and not well aligned, is how I saw that. Overall - very Asia-oriented. Not that there's anything wrong that or that it's a bad marketing decision, but I question the ability of this device to make it, over here in the States, in any mass numbers. example #1: That Linux Sharp Zaurus thing: Sizable, and also had lots of cool specs. Result? Failure.
    Example #2: That Sony UX-50. Also very cool & had a decent following. Buttons were a little funky & the screen was smallish & not lit very brightly. Result? Sony pulls out of market.
    My point? You have to REALLY nail the design parameters here in the US for a product to be anything other than a niche item. Size is very critical, as is the overall usability (another example - that HP6315 dog. Looks cool. Reality is - pulled from TMO for a while & very minimal overall sales).
    My prediction for the Benq? About as much sales as that gawdawful Sierra Wireless VOQ door stop/boat anchor.
    We'll see, but that's how I see this thing playing out....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast