Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If all "top" phones are dated when they come out... what is it that makes them "dated"? By reading the forums one could say that even the Treo650 will be catching up rather than setting new standards when it comes out... please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, but what current smartphon(es) should be considered as trendsetters?
    Ones that can match their PDA counterparts. . . right now, there is a sever lack of smartphones that can hold out against the current PDA market. What makes it frustrating is that there is no real reason for this.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by chriz
    If all "top" phones are dated when they come out... what is it that makes them "dated"? By reading the forums one could say that even the Treo650 will be catching up rather than setting new standards when it comes out... please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, but what current smartphon(es) should be considered as trendsetters?
    I'd say the Treo 600 as the best integration of phone, PDA, and qwerty keyboard, and especially for those who value the phone function and Palm OS.
    The Blackberry 7100t for those who value a compact phone and the best email functionality.
    The Sidekick II for those that value messaging the most.
    The HP h6315/45 for those who value maximum connectivity with integrated phone, wi-fi (unique), bluetooth, and functional email, plus a big screen and the PPC OS and software suite.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    Ones that can match their PDA counterparts. . . right now, there is a sever lack of smartphones that can hold out against the current PDA market. What makes it frustrating is that there is no real reason for this.
    True, in essence. However, there are subtle technical challenges that do keep the Smartphone arena about 18 months behind the PDA market:

1) Size. HW components just aren't small enough to be viable (until very recently).

2) Battery. This is probably the biggest issue facing the smartphone world (and for that matter, laptops, future PDA/MM devices, cameras...)

3) A bit more intangible is the demand. Remember, just like with PC's, people didn't know they needed one until its taken away. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Woz's admitted greatest accomplishment was creating the demand for a PC, not creating the PC itself. Also, its really expensive to "test" new technology/software/hardware in a smartphone. The user is in for $500+. However, in a PDA, someone can pick one up for $200 and "give it a try". Once they've decided (whatever it is) is a must have, now the Smartphone manufacturers are sprinting to catchup. Hence the approximate 18 month lag.

Just some food for thought.
    Looks like we may not be seeing that P50 anytime soon...

http://www.engadget.com/entry/4474704360313459/
    Quote Originally Posted by chriz
    the mpx 300, the 650
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    two points:
    i think the demand will come. I agree with Jason, once we have it, we will not do with out it. the example of computers is a very good example of the 650 and convergence phones. Also, I think prices will start coming down once more and more people start buying phones like this. Camera phones were very expensive when they first came out. Secondly, after seeing the color screen on the P50, it does really look nice. I was having my doubts.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12