1.    #1  
    For $199, the 7100t looks like it will get my $$$ unless the 650 is priced at $299 or less. Since I d/n think that's gonna happen, I may give the Crackberry a shot. This is not an easy decision b/c I have been a loyal HS customer since the early Visor days.

Anyway, serious question. *if* I go over to the dark side, does anyone know whether (and how) I would be able to transfer all my valuable address/contact/memo data to the Crackberry?
    Last edited by Boxed; 09/24/2004 at 05:03 PM. Reason: title
    mmm... anyone typed on that keyboard yet?
    If you sync the treo to outlook and then sync the blackberry, it should all transfer over without a hitch.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, KRamsauer. I looked into this further - I was not aware of the Pocket Mirror program, which I just used to transfer over the info to Outlook. You're right, it was surprisingly easy to do.

Anyway, as you may have guessed, I went ahead last week and purchased the 7100t. I figure for $199, I would try it. And, if in one year, the 650 is getting great reviews, I should be able to purchase one for significantly less.
    So Boxed, how is to type using that keyboard? Do you use SMS much? Just curious.
    I too am flirting with a 7100t. I picked it up at a local TMo store last Thursday night.
    A few months ago, I trialed a 600 and loved it, but with rumors of the 650 surfacing, I returned it to wait for a 320x320 screen (hopefully) - I will need to view pdf email attachments and thought 4x screen resolution will be worth the wait. I have not developed a product loyalty bias - although I have used palmOS devices for years.

Anyway, here are some initial impressions of the 7100t vs. the 600 -

- The 7100t feels noticeably lighter than the 600 - more plastic. It does feel as solid as I would have expected and definitely not as solid as the 600.

- The dimensions of the 7100t fit well in the hand and the device works well as a phone held to the ear. The 600 was well dimensioned also, but combined with the weight (and price tag) I was in constant fear of dropping it.

- The keyboard on the 7100t has been more difficult to get used to than I thought. I was pretty excited when I first saw it - thinking the larger keys and good predictive text entry would be the perfect combo. The 600s keys were a little small for my taste. Anyway, toggling between the predictive text, numeric, multi-tap key modes has been cumbersome to start. Little things, like navigating a voice mail system by typing a person's last name - the number keys on the 7100t do not have the alpha equivalents on them, so you have to switch modes to type the letters on the keyboard. I am confident that with continued use, the keyboard would become second-nature, but I am left wanting the full keyboard so I won't have to worry about it.

- The 7100t's screen is nice and bright - good resolution although I must admit to not knowing the exact specs. If the 650 is as good, I will be satisfied.

- I do find myself missing the touch-screen, I thought that I would not, but navigating with the scroll wheel is a little cumbersome at times.

- Some on HoFo have complained about the speed of the 7100t, I have found it to be quite fast with no noticable lag.

Since my ultimate goal has been to sell top-level management on a push-email and PIM device, P1 may have just sealed the deal by supplying a push solution for MS Exchange out-of-the-box. This makes a HUGE difference in the decision process for our company. Had that not been anounced, I believe we would be strongly considering the 7100's and a Blackberry Enterprise Server. Now, however, with no additional server to install and support, better attachment handling (I strongly believe but admit to not having time to explore all BB has to offer here) and the familiar P1 OS - it will almost definitely be the Treo in the end.
    Your review mirrors that of Walt Mossberg WSJ who favored the Treo over the BB 7100 for many of the same reasons.

Of course, the DUMB editors at PCMag gave the BB the SMART phone editors choice (without even testing the Smartphone features as they had a beta!!!)
    I've used both the 600 & the bb 7230 and I can tell you the 600 is better overall, but you must consider whether it's the boss or yourself that is most important, the bb is good for email & a phone & sync'ing your work contacts whether your lotus or exchange but that's about it. It doesn't open attachments pleasently like the treo, you certainly can't edit them like you can easily do on the Treo. Anyway I'm sure it's all been said but Treo wins from user point of view, bb wins from bosses point of view as it just about gives you exactly what you need without extras.

T
    Quote Originally Posted by timber
    Treo wins from user point of view, bb wins from bosses point of view as it just about gives you exactly what you need without extras.
    Agreed - the BB has a hard-core down-to-business mystique about it while the Treo is perceived by some as a techno-geek toy. I am not saying I agree, but I have heard it from business users first-hand.
    gents & ladies -

hope all is well.

first and foremost many thanks for all those that make this content the most compelling and insightful for the p1/HS product line. i have learned more then my fair share here.

i have been a loyal treo user. but the always on - has maintained that slight edge for the BB's. don't get me wrong the treo is a superb device with multiple functionalities that i have grown to love.

that being said - i have been reading a bit about the reviews on the 7100t. pricing is it's biggest value add imo - and the cheap cost of data for BB service relative to competition gives tmo a huge value add as well.

this is what has initially stood out in my eyes.

i have read numerous reviews on it but there is too much inconsistency with what the real issues are. i have yet to hold one live in my hand as that may be the incfluencer of my decision making prodess.

we'll seei guess!

regards,
    dolo
    .:Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around:.
    will sprint pcs ever start using the rim blackberry phone?
    New BlackBerry Combo Takes on Treo

By WALTER S. MOSSBERG

In a quest to invent the perfect combination of a cellphone, pocket e-mail device and organizer, most companies have failed. Either their products were so big and bulky they didn't look or work like phones, or they were so small and phone-like they had no room for the keyboards needed to create lots of e-mail messages. Or, the hardware was creative, but they had lousy e-mail or phone software.

Only the palmOne Treo 600 has succeeded so far. It looks and feels like a phone, and yet it has a full keyboard and excellent e-mail and phone software. By contrast, Research In Motion, makers of the BlackBerry e-mail device popular in corporate circles, has failed to meld the phone with e-mail very well. Its BlackBerry models with built-in phones have been bulky, with a clumsy interface for phone calls.

But the Treo 600 finally has a worthy competitor, and, surprisingly, it's a BlackBerry -- a radically different BlackBerry that looks like a phone, not like the squat models that have so far borne the BlackBerry name. Not only that, but this BlackBerry is inexpensive for a smart phone and is aimed as much at consumers and small businesses as it is at corporations.

Rest of article at:

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/solution-20040908.html
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    will sprint pcs ever start using the rim blackberry phone?
    yes - they are planning to launch the 7730 (style) if i am not mistaken.

regards,
    dolo
    .:Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around:.
    I purchased a 7100T for $90.00(after rebates). It is an excellent phone and email device for this price. However, The T600 still rocks. You can not compare the two because as it was mentioned earlier, the T600 can do a lot more than the 7100T. I am keeping both of them. For the price, the 7100T it is a great deal and a great phone, but I would not categorize it as a smartphone.
    I went by a TMO store recently and checked out the 7100t.

Impressions:
    Build quality - very plastic and hollow feeling device.
    Look and feel: Much less professional than a 600 or 650. It has a lanyard hole below the keyboard which is an odd styling choice for a business device.
    Keyboard: Feels OK. The text input method is better than T9 but is still a compromise over a QWERTY keyboard. I found I had to pay much more attention to the screen than I would on a T600 to ensure I was gettting the right letter. Text input is more intuitive and less attention grabbing on a Treo 600. This counts when doing something like talking on the phone and taking notes at the same time.
    Additional software: This makes the RIM a non-starter for me. How can I survive without staples like SplashID, Palm Reader, advanced calculators, TideTool, Games etc.
    Screen - nice and bright but it has the flaw that the older Treos like 270 had - lousy sunlight readability. This is not a phone for the walkabout person unless you live in a drab weather environment.

Overall: It's aimed at a funny segment of the market. Price sensitive folks who need email but are not concerned by the rather cheap appearance. I am tempted to buy one and see if I like it better over the buyers remorse period but the 650 beckons to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by ingcastillo
    I purchased a 7100T for $90.00(after rebates). It is an excellent phone and email device for this price. However, The T600 still rocks. You can not compare the two because as it was mentioned earlier, the T600 can do a lot more than the 7100T. I am keeping both of them. For the price, the 7100T it is a great deal and a great phone, but I would not categorize it as a smartphone.
    It's a pretty good price. I think that's the big advantage of this device. I don't like that it's not a Palm or WinCE OS and I regret the lack of QWERTY keyboard.
    I guess for someone who does not mind the keyboard and doesn't want to install additional software, that's a GO.
  17.    #17  
    Just got back from a long trip - took the new 7100t with me and got acquainted with it.

My review after having used it now for ~ one week.

Setup: Very easy. BB software also loaded very easily. I've had three Handsprings and this is the easiest smart phone to date to set up.

Keyboard: took a little getting used to, but the new system actually works very well for me. IMO, I think the trick that I picked up in terms of the text input method is that, provided you are a good speller, then if you trust you instinct and simply type the word correctly from the beginning, there is generally no issue and it works very smoothly. Having said that however, I would say the only drawback is that the track wheel gets a real workout, which can be a little annoying at times - yet leads me to the next point...

No stylus: Obviously, it is a BB and d/n have one. I must say that being able to do nearly everything with one hand is a major positive.

Build quality - plastic, but feels very solid.

Look and feel: Size wise and looks wise, it is close to the 600. The screen is crisp and touchpad is really good except for when you are in direct sunlight, then the screen is really hard to see, but I think this is a really minor problem.

Phone coverage: Definitely the best I have ever had, but still not as good as Verizon.

Phone speaker: like the Treo, the speaker phone is not as loud as I want.

Phone ringer: solid

Email: again, easy to set up and email works great.

Browser: works well, but the downloads take too long.

Overall: As I mentioned last month, apparently the Treo w/n touch this in terms of price. I signed on for the one year contract. If the TREo 650 is really that good, then I will re-evaluate when my contract is up.
  18.    #18  
    something you should know about the BB software v. Palm software. This may not be an issue for some, but the BB software d/n allow you to make your Notes (same thing as Memos) "private". This is a big concern for me b/c if someone borrows my phone or if someone steals it, these memos are right there in the open. Yeah, you can "lock" your phone, but that's a pain in da #$@. And sure, I know that Palm's security feature is not 100%, but the point is that it does add a layer and every layer is important in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxed
    Setup: Very easy. BB software also loaded very easily. I've had three Handsprings and this is the easiest smart phone to date to set up.
    Ditto - Having set up Palm conduits and ActiveSync on numerous devices, the install was a breeze.

P1's desktop software has really become a nightmare - I could never get my T|3 to work on Windows XP Tablet (although I have not attempted it since applying SP2). The integration of Mobile ActiveSync will most likely make configuration easier since P1 is licensing the conduits directly from MS. Anyway, I hope so.