1.    #1  
    Sorry if this isn't the place to ask, but I'm really torn between the Treo 650, MDA III (Xda IIs/SPV M2000) and the Moto MPx. I'm actually tempted to get which ever arrives first (which seems likely to be the MDA III which should be available in the UK in the next month or so).

The MDA III has all the features I want, bluetooth, hi-res screen, wifi etc.

I have had the Treo 600 since last Oct, and it's ok but the lack of bluetooth and the low res screen have made it less useful than I had hoped, and I'm ready to replace it asap.

So my question is, what makes the Palm OS so much better, or the Windows Mobile software so much worse, that I should consider waiting for the Treo 650?

I'm using Mac OS X, and have a natural tendency to avoid M$ products, but particularly a device with wifi seems very appealing. The hotel I will be staying in on holiday this autumn has complimentary wireless net access - which would make using wifi much better than roaming prices for gprs.
    After my Nokia Communicator was getting old and needed replacement, I went ahead and bought the I-Mate Pocket PC. That device was excellent as a PDA but as your primary phone- it sucked. The size and usability were just not suited for a phone and I sold it three weeks later.

Having no intentions of buying a Treo, I cam across it by sheer coincidence and just a couple of hours had me convinced that this was the best phone/pda integration ever. Its been about eight months since I've had the Treo and have never looked back.

-Abbas
    I also have the same dilema. Tossing between the XDAIII and Treo 650. I have always been a palm operator.

What is it that people don't like about pocket pc o/s?
    Quote Originally Posted by becs
    I also have the same dilema. Tossing between the XDAIII and Treo 650. I have always been a palm operator.

What is it that people don't like about pocket pc o/s?
    this always blue sky and green grass in the welcome screen
    My cell phone has become a critical part of my business, and now that I'm converged, it is even more critical. As far as Pcoket PC is concerned (and I've had several of them, including the Palm Vx size HP 1910), I'm always reminded of Robert Crandell's comment: " Would you really want to fly in a 747 running on Microsoft's operating system?"
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    The thing that absolutely killed it for me was the inability to use IMAP email in Pocket Outlook. I was using PPC2002 and there is a bug (see here, about 2/3 of the way down the page) where PO defaults to the user's top-level directory on the server. There seemed to be no way to avoid this (no way to specify the mail folder) and it made IMAP completely unusable because at every connection PO would attempt to d/l every one off the hundreds of files on the server. The device (a Toshiba e740) hit ebay pretty quickly!

I don't know if this is fixed in WM2003 (the page I linked above doesn't indicate that it is) or if there is a third-party app that avoids it (there didn't seem to be a couple of years ago) but I couldn't consider PPC unless I was sure that I could use IMAP.
    For me it's not really anything against the PPC OS, but more the hardware form factor of the Treo. If you took the Treo and cleared it out and could put on PPC on it, I think a number of people may switch. However, it seems as though maybe the PPC wasn't designed with a thumbboard in mind and no one seems to integrate one as well as the Treo.

Someone posted this article: http://www.forbes.com/columnists/fre.../1004/113.html in another thread and it pretty much rings true for me. If you read about the usability of most of the competitors to the Treo they seem thrown together like some sort of Frankenphone, while the Treo seems designed from the ground up to be a converged device.
    Last edited by bmacfarland; 09/21/2004 at 09:14 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the replies, these are all helpful comments.

With regards to the comment about the 747, my girlfriend works for Airbus and from the stories I've heard I'd rather not fly on a 747 (but I still do!).

In terms of the OS, I'm a big fan of Mac's and OS X but I still wouldn't trust it 100%. Also my Treo has crashed at certain critical times - particularly when on a call and a second call has come in. Not the best time for your phone to crash.

I'm not a fan of Microsoft, but having said that there hasn't been anything about the Palm OS that has stood out as being particularly great. I found the inability to get photos off the Treo (without the third party software that eventually turned up) particularly annoying!

It would be a brave step indeed if I were to choose a PocketPC phone. At least it would be in the knowledge that I could go back to the Treo if it didn't live up to expectations. Mind you, a years contract can be a very long time - as I discovered when my Motorola V66 had a flat battery every time I wanted to use it...
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I've never owned a PPC or Win CE device, but I believe the user interface is more difficult/cumbersome to use than Palm's. My opinion comes from a combination of reviews I've read, and seeing friends demo their PPCs.
    I have always been a fan of PPC. it's very easy to use, especially with wm2003. it's got a start menu... your computer has a start menu... simple! I guess i was a little babied because i had a dell axim x5 and the software integration was stupendous. the main thing that people complain about with ppc other than they tend to have huge screens, is that when you exit a program, it doesn't really exit, just sits in the background taking up memory. Dell bundled an alt+tab sort of functionality with the axim and it was great for closing programs and switching. When i got the Treo, i was dumbfounded until i realized which button brought up all the programs... after that it was fairly smooth sailing. i had always not liked palm because all the palms i've seen just took addresses and appointments... i wanted something that i could type quick word docs or read my email... And while i do realize that palm does more than this now (it couldn't back in the days of palm IIIx and Vx- when i got my first ppc) it still doesn't always compare to ppc in terms of processing power (i'm getting an Ipaq next month that has a faster processor than my desktop at home) usually the screen sizes are larger, there's definitely more choice in hardware because of the open nature of the licensing agreements with microsoft (you only see sony and palm making palm based pdas... compared to dell, toshiba, hp, asus, HTC, etc). I use my treo for email and all the PIM functions, tip calculator, solitaire, train schedules, etc... but i use my PPCs for GPS, wifi testing, listening to music, and watching an occasional video clip.

PC- obviously someone working for Airbus doesn't want you riding on a 747... that's their main competition!
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo__baggins
    Also my Treo has crashed at certain critical times - particularly when on a call and a second call has come in. Not the best time for your phone to crash.
    This is why I am really considering the ppc6600 over the 650. My 600 is so unstable right now that it is rediculous. In addition, this is my 3rd Treo in 11 months.

I have had the Treo 300 and 600 and have enjoyed them both. Both have had serious issues however, to the point where I dont feel bad about giving another device a shot.

I will miss this board more than the device itself...

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    For me it's not really anything against the PPC OS, but more the hardward form factor of the Treo.

Exactly. The MDA and newer MPX form factors are totally unappealing to me, both on ergonomic and aesthetic grounds. The MPX 220 was a better form factor, but no qwerty. I've never been much of a fan of the PPC UI, but until an OEM can come up with some better product designs, switching is just not on my agenda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    I have always been a fan of PPC. it's very easy to use, especially with wm2003. it's got a start menu... your computer has a start menu...
    Actually it doesn't , and neither does the OP's!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    it's got a start menu... your computer has a start menu... simple!

i had always not liked palm because all the palms i've seen just took addresses and appointments... i wanted something that i could type quick word docs or read my email... And while i do realize that palm does more than this now (it couldn't back in the days of palm IIIx and Vx- when i got my first ppc)

it still doesn't always compare to ppc in terms of processing power (i'm getting an Ipaq next month that has a faster processor than my desktop at home)
    People actually use a start menu on their computer? I could never deal with a click to get in the menu, a click (or hover) over programs, to click/hover to a program group. Give me all my icons in a Quick Launch bar, which actually is kind of more like a PalmOS interface now that I think about it, except that Palm organizes them into groups. One click always seemed quicker to me.

I think Palm Vx had office docs and all that. It could even read your mail with a CDPD modem. I know a few people who did exactly that.

As for the iPaq having a faster processor, it might in terms of megahertz, but I doubt it's nearly as fast as any Pentium 2 or later chip. Well it might be as fast, but in any every you have remember that Mhz isn't everything about chips. Different Mhz in different chip sets have different processing power.
    To Mark C - Thank you for pointing us in the direction of that list. All I can say is that I have never seen a huge long list like that on problems for the Treo.
    I wish I'd seen it before I bought the e740. I only recovered 2/3 of the purchase price from the ebay sale.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Robber -- you may want to give P1 another try after the HTC-manufactured units start showing up. I think P1 knows they have a quality problem, and have taken steps to fix it.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    The case against PocketPC is the same as the case against Windows: you need a lot of horsepower (megahertz, memory, battery) in order to run the device. Take a look at the ridiculously thick battery that the MPx is now saddled with! On the other hand, if you want true multi-tasking, you can get it now with a PocketPC device, whereas you will have to wait for Cobalt to get it on a Treo.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    yes... agreed with the multi tasking... to be honest, i dont think any of us can judge how the PPC 6600/MDA/XDA will be untill we test it out ourselves... i remember seeing the 600 a while back before i bought... i said that's hella small... had it in my hands at best buy... i was like, man, how am i going to type on this??? truthfully, i like the 600.. still have problems now and then, but it works. I think the real competition, for me at least, is between PPC 6600 and 650. I dont want to leave Sprint unless I have to. I don't like gsm, i don't like their speeds. As much as I like the idea of wifi - having the ability to connect to PCS vision from almost anywhere there is a sprint signal is MUCH more important to me than going to a hotspot, or using it in the office. I have gotten lost a lot while on the road, and the ability to go to mapquest to get directions to where i am going have saved my **** a lot. I dont like how the keyboard LOOKS on the mpx, but then again, i didnt like the feel of the 600 keyboard either... so to those of you who say the keys on the MDA/PPC 6600 look "rubbery", well, test it out first. I like the new PPC phone edition 2003 on the PPC 6600, and 128 megs ram is VERY nice... plus the processor looks to be good. IMO the processor speed will lag on the mpx... it just doesnt look fast enough from the specs... but who knows. I still am undecided abotu the 650 or PPC 6600. Lucky for me i have two friends who both want the 6600 and the 650 - so i am going to get to try them BOTH out before i commit. I would also like to see how the 650 runs with upgraded processor but essentially same ram. It doesnt assure me of anything...yet