1.    #1  
    Little off topic, but I was wondering if anyone saw the new blackberry:

http://www.blackberry.net/

Looks like it might give the treo a run for its money.
    At first glance, I don't see a T600 competitor here. The keyboard doesn't have dedicated letter keys. Each key shares 2 letters. Is that a QWERTY? I asume it uses T9 or similar.

Perhaps RIM is looking to get the width down to standart cell phone levels. This is very surprising since they seem to have a patent on the mini-QWERTY thumb board design. I seem to recall them suing Handspring over it when the est Treos hit the market a few years back.

Anyway, in case you haven't guessed, I wouldn't buy one. But I am curious if T-mobile has launched it yet.

-D
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    [message deleted - be nice. KR]
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 09/15/2004 at 11:13 AM.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    it looks good for the business user who thinks the TREO 600/etc is too much for them - much in terms of confusing/capabilites... you know.. the people who are scared to hit the send button in case they "mess something up"

i think it's not a bad design - personally i'm interested in seeing how the keyboard works. Being a prior Blackberry 950/957 user, i loved their keyboard. To this day no one has competed with them, or the software that was "intuitive" to what you were writing - so if you made mistakes it would correct it for you. I think it's too early to tell, but if their software is upgraded any to "predict" what you are typing, qwerty style won't be much of a concern anymore. the question is how many developers will develop for this and all other blackberry platforms? the reason palm is such a necessity for me isnt necessarily the phone itself - but the OS that supports it, and its 10000000s of applications. i doubt the blackberry will have a diet application that counts all the calories of foods i select or be able to (at this point in time) run full length movies on it. looks interesting and i look forward to seeing it in action at t mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by hall316
    [message deleted - be nice. KR]
    Is the Nice policeman also the one that purges Other Handheld threads ASAP or is that someone else's role?
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    i think the bb7100 is going to put treo to rest. this device has a lot more and costs less. its a quad band, html browser, bluetooth, speaker phone, 32 mb memory, 4 mb sd memory. and to finish off the treo its $300 less. now what???? call me crazy, But, The BB7100 IS the device that everyone else is looking for
    I dont' think that's necessarily the case. It may fall into a product no-man's land, like the original Treos (which were too much of a phone for a pda and too much of a pda for a phone). This may be too simple for a powerful smartphone and too complex for a normal phone.
    If I recall correctly, it does not have a touch screen....so you are stuck with the 1/2 QWERTY. That right there would make it NOT a Treo-killer.
    IMO, the BB and Treo are two very different products. Looking at the new BB, I would say it is RIM who are trying to emulate Palm1 so I don't think the Treo has anything to fear.
    www.gsmworld.com
  10.    #10  
    The NYT gave it an insanely good review, especially the keyboard.
    Treo keyboard = thumbs up.
    New BB keyboard = thumbs down.
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
    Ungiven, have you tried it?
    Quote Originally Posted by treohunk
    i think the bb7100 is going to put treo to rest. this device has a lot more and costs less. its a quad band, html browser, bluetooth, speaker phone, 32 mb memory, 4 mb sd memory. and to finish off the treo its $300 less. now what???? call me crazy, But, The BB7100 IS the device that everyone else is looking for
    What good is quad band in the US when TMobile does not allow you to roam on other systems (except in California and NY)?

In my region there are areas where Cingular and ATT have very strong signals at 850 or 1900 mhz and TMobile is very weak, but i can not make a phone call with my Treo 600.

The other real problem with the new blackberry is that it uses the TMobile Servers to consolidate pop email. The built in mail client does not directly download email.

This is another example of how horrible the cellphone market is in the US. Cell Phones are made for the carrier, not the customer. Look at the new motorola for Verizon. All of the useful advanced phone features are turned off in the Verizon version.

Then new blackberry has one great advantage, cost.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I think the other thing that you're missing here is that the 7100 is way more sexy than previous RIM models. MOST business types are currently stuck with a RIM device, so, rather than fight IT for a Treo, just get the new, sleek Blackberry.

I too would like to see the KB in operation. I've got tons of clients on the BES, so it shouldn't be too long.
    Forbes weighed in with an opinion on this unit, as part of an overall article on the need for true qwerty. And the one short demo of the 7100 I saw on C|Net made it seem very clunky to type - you have a four step process - type the letters, read the choices that come up, scroll the wheel to select the word you want (which, if you emulate doing that on a treo, means you have to move your thumb of your right hand, or your index finger of the left, to scroll the wheel and mash to select), and then select the word. Type, read, scroll, mash. TRSM. What a mess. Try doing that and see how it works for you.

http://www.forbes.com/business/forbe.../1004/113.html