1.    #1  
    I don't think so....but the price isn't bad for what you get.

http://www.blackberry.com/blackberry7100/specs.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    I don't think so....but the price isn't bad for what you get.

http://www.blackberry.com/blackberry7100/specs.shtml
    looks cool but too business oriented for me...no expansion slot and no .mp3 player. i'm also not sure about the qwerty keyboard. it looks like it uses modified T9 functionality which I don't think I would like.

although the price is pretty appealing.
    I'm not seeing any price on there. I think the keyboard is interesting at least. It seems between T9 and a thumbboard. Can you install your own apps on this Blackberry or is it somewhat closed like a Sidekick? Does it have a touchscreen?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I'm not seeing any price on there. I think the keyboard is interesting at least. It seems between T9 and a thumbboard. Can you install your own apps on this Blackberry or is it somewhat closed like a Sidekick? Does it have a touchscreen?
    it looks to be T-Mobile only and the price is $199.
  5.    #5  
    The price is $199 after rebates. I don't believe that it has touch screen, and it has no expansion capability either. I don't think the device is closed.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    I recently migrated from a blackberry to a Treo 600. If this new BB is the same as the previous models, then it is closed with no support for 3rd party apps, which is the main reason I switched (the other reason is support for quad-band, which is really important for me as I travel internationally and need the device to work everywhere)

My sense is that RIM will sooner or later get out of the business of building BB's altogether, as this is a very crowded space with P1, SonyEricsson and HP/Compaq. Instead, they will focus on selling their blackberry server as well as BB clients for other devices. They are very well positioned to do that since their Enterprise Server is already installed in many companies. Also, they have recently announced an alliance with Microsoft to provide a BB client for Windows-powered PDAs.

In spite of my preference for the Treo 600, I have to admit that the new BB looks awesome.
    The WSJ's Walt Mossberg reviews the BB 7100 in his 9/8 "Mossberg Solution" column (sorry, but the WSJ, good capitalists that they are, doesn't give away its content online). Mossberg's conclusions are positive, but he notes a lot of negatives on the 7100 and prefers his Treo 600 on several major points of comparison. Perhaps of more interest in this forum (and the subject of other threads) are his comparisons to the unnumbered "next" Treo:

"PalmOne is likely to introduce a new, improved Treo this fall with a better screen, a removable battery and Bluetooth wireless technology ... the forthcoming new Treo is likely to catch up on this front [Bluetooth] ... the new Treo should match or exceed the Blackberry's screen resolution ..."

When Mossberg uses the words "likely" or "should", we can assume that he's being coy.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    The new BB is an intriguing attempt at a PDA/phone. I am curious to learn what BB users think of that new keyboard, with two letters per key.

It's under $200 according to WSJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    The new BB is an intriguing attempt at a PDA/phone. I am curious to learn what BB users think of that new keyboard, with two letters per key.
    Think of it as a variant of T9/Tengo, where device predicts the inputs after pressing combinations of keys.