1.    #1  
    [I'm putting this post in this section because I think any new competitor has to be compared to the 650, even though the 600 can still do a lot to support the brand at least when cost is the primary issue.]

In today's WSJ: "I'm not ready to give up my Treo for the new Blackberry, mostly because I find the Blackberry's user interface slower and more complicated than the Treo's. Also, the Treo has a better keyboard, is a better organizer, and is much more versatile and expandable."

The thing is, do most folks associate the name "Blackberry" with a wireless email device, and automatically ask for it when they go into a store? The versatility and expandability is not featured in the Treo ads. It's meant to compete directly with the Blackberry. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

The nice thing about the 7100t is that it's a Blackberry that finally looks like a phone, and you probably wouldn't look geeky talking into it. For a list price of $199.99 it's going to be an attractive bet, IF YOU LIKE T-MOBILE.

As we get closer to the release of the 650, P1 should continue to market the 600, but now as the entry level device. By providing discounts, it can keep the Treo as a viable competitor against these cheaper Blackberrys (or is it Blackberries?).

BTW: I've been using my 600 continuously since I got it last October, and no problems, no lost data, NADA. If I could just get ePocrates (and some other medical software) to run reliably on my SD card, I'd be perfectly happy.
    Last edited by wireless-doc; 09/08/2004 at 06:25 AM.
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
    Hi wireless-doc,

Thanks for the info. Is there any way you can scan the article and point a link to it, as it seems it's unavailable without a subscription on the wsj.com website.
    Thanks,

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by abookas
    Hi wireless-doc,

Thanks for the info. Is there any way you can scan the article and point a link to it, as it seems it's unavailable without a subscription on the wsj.com website.
    Thanks,

Andy
    Someone posted it on Yahoo (N posts):

-- http://finance.messages.yahoo.com/bb...7051&mid=24521
  4.    #4  
    "New Blackberry Combo Takes on Treo"

There is also a table associate with the article which isn't on his site. It compares the 7100t, 600 and the h6315. Today's WSJ also has two other articles about Nokia's 9300 and Earthlink's Blackberry device.
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
    Nokia has blackberry support for series 80. (If they put it on series 60, Palm can say buh bye to europe)

http://www.vnunet.com/news/1157912

every major PPC models will add blackberry supports too. Let's see who will have it out first.
    The Blackberry will NOT have a QWERTY keyboard. Also, NO CDMA (Sprint or Verizon). Those are major, MAJOR drawbacks if you ask me. By ditching the QWERTY keyboard, you loose one of the things that made Blackberry such a great device. That alone is a make-or-break option for a all-in-one convergence device. IMO, it takes more than form factor alone to make a great device. Treo650 all the way!!!
    I would not trade my Treo 600 for the BlackBerry, because I like the Treo's QWERTY keyboard too much. However, I have to recognize that RIM made some improvements on the design. Not going with a QWERTY keyboard is a mistake to me. It was possible, the Treo600 proves it. As for the price, $199 without subscription is *very* good. It means one will be able to get it for free on Amazon. That's the price of a T637. If they change the keyboard, they might have something big...
    Quote Originally Posted by wireless-doc
    [I'm putting this post in this section because I think any new competitor has to be compared to the 650, even though the 600 can still do a lot to support the brand at least when cost is the primary issue.]

In today's WSJ: "I'm not ready to give up my Treo for the new Blackberry, mostly because I find the Blackberry's user interface slower and more complicated than the Treo's. Also, the Treo has a better keyboard, is a better organizer, and is much more versatile and expandable."

The thing is, do most folks associate the name "Blackberry" with a wireless email device, and automatically ask for it when they go into a store? The versatility and expandability is not featured in the Treo ads. It's meant to compete directly with the Blackberry. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

The nice thing about the 7100t is that it's a Blackberry that finally looks like a phone, and you probably wouldn't look geeky talking into it. For a list price of $199.99 it's going to be an attractive bet, IF YOU LIKE T-MOBILE.

As we get closer to the release of the 650, P1 should continue to market the 600, but now as the entry level device. By providing discounts, it can keep the Treo as a viable competitor against these cheaper Blackberrys (or is it Blackberries?).

BTW: I've been using my 600 continuously since I got it last October, and no problems, no lost data, NADA. If I could just get ePocrates (and some other medical software) to run reliably on my SD card, I'd be perfectly happy.

Just a hypothetical: What if RIM had released the the 7100t with an operating system like PalmOS?? Seriously, I personally think the 7100t is a very unique and intriguing design. The keyboard looks interesting and may be quite effective if Rim's predictive input technology lives up to the task? Now what if this thing ran PalmOS Garnet (OC 5.4), had a SD slot and touchscreen? I think I would seriously consider such a device over the Treo if it existed....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    There's an article about the 7100t on the cover of today's New York Times Circuits section. I'm surprised RIM changed their signature keyboard. It's kinda like if Palm started making Pocket PC's (um, I heard a rumor once that that could happen, so bad example), it just wouldn't feel right to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Just a hypothetical: What if RIM had released the the 7100t with an operating system like PalmOS?? Seriously, I personally think the 7100t is a very unique and intriguing design. The keyboard looks interesting and may be quite effective if Rim's predictive input technology lives up to the task? Now what if this thing ran PalmOS Garnet (OC 5.4), had a SD slot and touchscreen? I think I would seriously consider such a device over the Treo if it existed....
    As long as were hypothesizing, a Treo 650 packing a PPC 2003 2nd Ed. bundle would probably keep me in the Treo camp -despite anticipated continuing limitations including no wi-fi, a small screen, and no replaceable battery.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.