Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    rumor has it that nokia is planning series 60 symbian treo like device. any of u think this can even compare to the soon to be released treo 650? I personally don't, wondering what others think.
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/mobile/p_comm.asp?ID=7078
    tks - great link! obviously the wall street punters know more than the techno freaks in here ...
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Nokia isn't a threat to Palm1 until and unless they release a data-capable phone that people actually want, on a network that people actually use. A smaller version of the 9500 on a GSM network is a joke, not a threat.
    The Daxian cu928 and Samsung models are the true threats imo. A symbian device on a GSM network is a joke, especially in the US.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    that would not make sense...for it to be a treo look a like, it would have to use the series 90 interface

series 60 does not allow touch screen, and the series 80 is almost exact to that of series 90 but no touch screen

the nokia 7700 which was supposed to be nokia's first series 90 device was scrubbed a while back
    Has everyone forgotten the EXTREMELY SEXY MOTOROLA MPX due to be released later this year too?????

IMHO, THAT phone is THE threat to the Treo
    I have detailed files.
    you already said that, and i answered you already with the fact hat the lack of EDGE and 850 will turn people off from this device...let alone the cost will be equivalent to that of your left testicle plus your first born
    When you say "lack of 850", what exactly is that? For what we know now the Ace may or may not lack EDGE, so you can't hold that against another phone, until we really know.
    not everyone is living in the US, so a symbian phone for GSM is an option.

agreed about the terrible designs of nokia phones - but they know they have to get their act together. nokia may surprise some in here with some courageous moves - on sept. 8 there's a large presentation of new phones in new york. lets wait and see.

treo itself has to get its act together and release something substantially pretty quickly. otherwise quite some many will jump the boat - and newcomers will settle with other brands.

IMHO the treo marketing is desastrous - instead of trying to get rid of older 600 piles they should start promoting the successor - as motorola is pushing its mpx since spring, without releasing anything (besides engineering models) - and look how many people are most eagerly waiting to get that intriguing device - too big for my taste, but its got wi-fi, a nice screen, a clever QWERTY board and lots of nice gadgets.

P1 is a sleephead company besides, basically nothing really new since a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treominator
    Has everyone forgotten the EXTREMELY SEXY MOTOROLA MPX due to be released later this year too?????

IMHO, THAT phone is THE threat to the Treo
    MPx 220 due Q4 2004: No thumboard. GSM only. Windows. 176x220 resolution.

Sorry but the only thing it has over the current 600 is Bluetooth and a slightly better screen. The 650 will take care of that by offering Bluetooth and a better screen. The 650 may even be out before the new Mpx, and Treo has market share in PDA/Phones and a following.

Are there any successful MS based phones that compete directly with Treo (i.e. have a Qwerty keyboard)?
    HTC 'Blue Angel' MDA III. Just got FCC approval, quadband GSM model with W-Fi and BT. Also a CDMA model: Harrier. Same phone with different radios. Windows Mobile 2003. That's the stiffest competition. I am worried that the sliding keyboard will neccessitate flush, rather than raised keys, that are harder to use

Also, MPx and Nokia 9500. But they suck because they are clamshells and not cnadybar phones

BenQ P50 is floating, but don't expect it anytime soon

SE P910 is out there too, and P1000 is expected to be announced on September 19
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebueb
    IMHO the treo marketing is desastrous - instead of trying to get rid of older 600 piles they should start promoting the successor - as motorola is pushing its mpx since spring, without releasing anything (besides engineering models) - and look how many people are most eagerly waiting to get that intriguing device - too big for my taste, but its got wi-fi, a nice screen, a clever QWERTY board and lots of nice gadgets.

P1 is a sleephead company besides, basically nothing really new since a year.
    The main reason that Moto is promoting their MPX phones so far in advanced is their current smartphone stinks!!!
    as i said before if the treo ace gets EDGE i will dance naked outside on a -40c day

i dunno if you were being sarcastic...but cingular wireless in the US and rogers wireles in Canada both utlize dual band GSM...meaning they use 850/1900..as opposed to say T-Mobile and Fido which only use 1900

the reason for the low frequency band, is to provide maximal distance coverage, ie in the rural regions, and for excellent building penetration...

the rest of world or whomever uses it...has 900/1800...North American did not use/permit the use of the 900 band for cell phones as cordless phones occupy the frequency

but i know, it doesnt explain why 802.11b/g and BT use 2.4 GHz, and cordless phones use 2.4 GHz
    1800 is a military band

2.4 gHz is considered an open band

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

^my bad sir

oh you are so gonna get flammed back on hofo (kidding)
    what, you're afraid to flame me here??? ;-P

It was my understanding that the 850 band also allows for faster data connections...of course that could just be some Roger's Wireless guy talking out of his @ss.
    but oh hofo im in my environment

yeah treo-mike, ive never heard of that one before...the hand off band switching and what not is really phone depandant...the primary purchase is being able to get better signal inside buidlings and in the burbs away from the cities
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Nokia isn't a threat to Palm1 until and unless they release a data-capable phone that people actually want, on a network that people actually use. A smaller version of the 9500 on a GSM network is a joke, not a threat.
    You're seriously on crack, right? Nokia is a very formidible player in smart phones in Europe, Middle East and Africa. Their numbers dwarf Palm OS, PPC and Smartphone by so much that it's embarassing. The Series 60 / Symbian platform holds a 95% market share in those very profitable markets. In the US, it's a different story, but, that's mostly because GSM/GPRS has really just taken hold. If Sony-Ericsson put support into CDMA with Sprint and Verizon, Series 60 / Symbian may have taken a much larger foothold here in the US.

That's like saying that BlackBerry isn't competiton -- their marketshare is climbing in the US quite well despite the raging success of the Treo 600. While a BlackBerry is hardly a robust PDA to most of us, it does the email / messaging thing extremely well and that's all many road warriors -- and their bosses -- really want.

If Nokia were gunning for my business, I'd be taking it very seriously indeed. But, as a consumer, I'm very happy to see the competition as it will put them all on the edge. Lack of competition breeds contentment and that's not good.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Mike Lohsl
    Mobile Evangelist

From The Mind Of Mike...
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    MPx 220 due Q4 2004: No thumboard. GSM only. Windows. 176x220 resolution.

Sorry but the only thing it has over the current 600 is Bluetooth and a slightly better screen. The 650 will take care of that by offering Bluetooth and a better screen. The 650 may even be out before the new Mpx, and Treo has market share in PDA/Phones and a following.

Are there any successful MS based phones that compete directly with Treo (i.e. have a Qwerty keyboard)?
    What about the Motorola MPX-300?

QWERTY keyboard, magical dual-hinge display (Landscape vs Portrait), 1.3MP camera ..

.. don't get me wrong, I'm planning to buy a Treo 650 the absolute second it's available (still using Sanyo SCP-5500), but MPx300 has it's intrigue -- and with integrated Bluetooth and an 802.11 variant I'd call it a Treo competitor.

-jd
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast