Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    @ mikeC

do you know of any forums where Linux phones are discussed?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I don't, but am sure they are out there. I recall reading some article about it a while back (linux pda with phone).
    thanks boss!
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I agree with mikec in that palmone has the lead but may blow it.
    I am a palmone fan but they just don't put their devices far enough ahead of current competition to remain number one.
    its a shame, but palmone doesn't seem to be adventurous with their releases - but very, very cautious and minimalist.
    well we'll see but I just hope for palmone's sake they change position and aim for the healthy leads rather than the close races
    here. there's only so much leniency that current fans give to their team before thinking about looking for the new up and coming champion.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    who and why will overun the Treo? The why should be obvious...anyone who puts out a better product (better being defined as better value) that the market embraces.

Who?

Here is the short list. The main issue is carriers, which throws some wrinkles in there, but I am assuming this will even out)

1.) Microsoft - this would've happened already if they hadn't force the screen size, which make them too bulky. But they have lots of money and chances to get it right (or at least good enough)
    And lots of big partners.
    Possible but too many handset makers fear MS...it will NEVER be the dominate Smartphone OS

2.) Sony- again, lots of money and tech know-how. Although they bailed on the PDA market, they will come full circle with PDA phones. However, they still have some issues to work out.
    Possible but they will probably use the Palm OS as they have one all of their PDAs

3.) Nokia - 800 lbs Gorilla. Could do it if they could get their act together and build a true converged device.
    YUP! The have invested heavily in Symbian and UIQ.

4.) Yetobenam - a yet to be named embedded linux entrant

5.) Apple - laugh, but they could build the next cool converged device.

I love the Treo and will keep buying them until something better happens.
    I suggest Palm One will aloways be a niche player unless someone bigger like Sony-Ericsson buy them for the OS
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex
    I suggest Palm One will aloways be a niche player unless someone bigger like Sony-Ericsson buy them for the OS
    PalmOne doesn't have an OS, PalmSource does.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    2.) Sony- again, lots of money and tech know-how. Although they bailed on the PDA market, they will come full circle with PDA phones. However, they still have some issues to work out.

Possible but they will probably use the Palm OS as they have one all of their PDAs
    What the hell Sony will 'probably use Palm OS' your dreaming right? they use UIQ in the p900, p910, and future p1000, that is their smartphone line, you honestly think they will drop UIQ in favor of Palm for their smartphones???? Seriously Sony's days of making PDAs running Palm OS are all but over, sad but true.....

Seriously Palm is limiting itself more and more to the US market, the Treo 600 is successful in the US but it is the only place Palm has a chance of controlling any market the way they're going. Remember there is a big wide world outside of the US.....

Agreed regarding niche player, and that is about the only way Sony would use PalmOS again, but I doubt it!
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    the Treo 600 is successful in the US
    There is no hard evidence that this is true.

We know that sell-in - sales to retailers, distributors, and carriers - has been on the order of 500,000 units since intro but PalmOne has never said anything at all about sell-through - sales to end-customers - other than "the TREO 600 introduction sell-through rate was twice as good as the best sell-through rate of the prior TREO models" - that's not very good information!
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    ^^^ Well if that is the case then it is successful NO-WHERE, because it is less popular in Europe and AsiaPacific than it is in the US....
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    ^^^ Well if that is the case then it is successful NO-WHERE, because it is less popular in Europe and AsiaPacific than it is in the US....
    Please do not misunderstand - I for sure did NOT say:

== TREOs aren't successful.

I said:

== We have no hard evidence that TREOs are successful because...

Big difference.

===========

Note, though, that I personally believe TREO 600s are selling through about like the prior models sold through - maybe 12,000-15,000 per month - maybe a few more.

But no better than that.

Unfortunately, I have no hard evidence for that belief. TreoCentral, strangely enough, could supply some fairly good anecdotal evidence by doing a comparison of their personal sell-in and sell-through numbers...

So...is THAT "successful"?
    Couple of things:

- Can't compare sales of Nokia cell phones to Palm PDAs. They are entirely different monsters. More people are tied to their cell phone than PDAs. Cell phones come cheap, free, or at negatative costs. If Palm paid everyone $25 to take their PDAs (like some of the deals on Amazon), I think we'd all sign up for that.

- I think rumors of Palm's demise are greatly exaggerated. Even if you look out 1,2,5, or 10 years and decide that they don't have the size to compete with 800 gorillas like Nokia and the makers of PPC devices, you have to realize that what they do have is going to be valuable to somebody. I can't imagine a scenario where they wouldn't get acquired and put in phones.

- That last thing said, I think that while Palm might not be able to compete with the breadth of devices to cater to all the people the 800 lb gorillas do, if they pick their battles (as they have with the Treo-line) they can compete with them at that level. As far as I know, no one device from any maker has the same form/factors/specs/features for any OS. If an 800lb Gorilla comes out with something very, very similar, the Treo won't stand a chance unless it evolves, but for the number of people on this board, and quite a few others, there is nothing out there comparable.
    New Nokia and Blackberry just announced/released/whatever:

-- http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5294.html

-- http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mymod/hdln/rc...rchinmotion_dc

Now they're official - sort of...
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    So...is THAT "successful"?
    Okay, I give up -- is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by snerdy
    Okay, I give up -- is it?
    Palmone doesn't give out the number.
    see the problem there?
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    Palmone doesn't give out the number.
    see the problem there?
    No. The number? Now I don't even know what you're talking about.

SeldomVisitor wrote:

Note, though, that I personally believe TREO 600s are selling through about like the prior models sold through - maybe 12,000-15,000 per month - maybe a few more.

But no better than that.

Unfortunately, I have no hard evidence for that belief. TreoCentral, strangely enough, could supply some fairly good anecdotal evidence by doing a comparison of their personal sell-in and sell-through numbers...
    And I'm admitting I don't know. "Selling through" 12,000-15,000 per month sounds good to me, I guess, but I don't know. Is it? Is it ...bad?

Oh, wait, I think I understand you: SeldomVisitor only believes that 12,000-15,000 Treos are being "sold through" each month and but PalmOne doesn't publish a specific number and that's a problem. Is that what you're saying?

Well, that's pretty easy: SeldomVisitor has proven himself (or herself) to be one of the most thorough critics of the Treo (don't get jealous, suskind -- you're up there, too), and if he/she is willing to believe a "sell through" figure of 12,000-15,000 Treos per month, that's good enough for me.

It's beside the point anyway: it doesn't matter if SeldomVisitor's number is accurate or not. Is THAT "successful"? is the question (with the question mark outside of the quotation marks and everything).

Would someone please answer the question:

Is THAT "successful"?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678