Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Where's your source? And not that I doubt your ranking, I'd like to see you back it up with something as I did (an independant source). Once again compare apples to apples.
    if you show me non p1 press release global number. I'll show you my number.
    How is that?

Nokia's devices are cheap or free like a Kia (though I wish Kia's were free). Ditto for SE. Treo's devices are priced in the Ferrari range, there's no chance it can keep up marketshare. I doubt MS smartphones pass PalmOS. I really need proof for that one.
    you can call it a ferrari or porsche it's still POS.
    Where's your source? ... I doubt MS smartphones pass PalmOS. I really need proof for that one.
    Here's a market share source from a favorite site on wireless matters. Scroll down to access his June notebook to get the data. Right wingers may wish to scroll quickly.

http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Here's a discussion on Smartphone share that's remarkably silent on Palm: http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4657.html
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    Here's a market share source from a favorite site on wireless matters. Scroll down to access his June notebook to get the data. Right wingers may wish to scroll quickly.

It's not surprising, Nokia sell a lot of basic cheap phones, which are bound to sell in greater numbers than cheap PDA's. Everyone want's a phone nowadays, whereas PDA's are a niche market. In fact I'm surprised PalmOne featured that highly.

By the way, I think the writer of the article didn't understand the table. It says at the bottom 'includes phones, smartphones' etc. and yet they tried to make out it was the number of cheap Palm PDA's compared to the number of Nokia Smartphones. That wasn't the case - the figures included ALL mobile devices (including those cheap and nasty nokias, that are practically or literally given away, with the irritating ring tones and tacky replacable covers!!!!!!)
    Last edited by bilbo__baggins; 09/04/2004 at 03:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    uhm, it's the gigantic treo. nobody has entered the treo600 key. (and surprisingly nobody has post a score yet so far...wonder why)

afaikafaikafaik, $fitaly$ $number$ $on$ $PPC$ $still$ $kicks$ ***. $so$ $I$ $am$ $not$ $sure$ $what$ $you$ $are$ $talking$ $about$. $Show$ $treo$ $600$ $number$ $for$ $keyboard$ $then$ $we$'$ll$ $talk$.

you mean PPC can't play standard codecs? been there done that. lol. treo can't even play .mpg4 without crashing. so please...

PS. afaikafaikafaik, $h6300$ $battery$ $performance$ $is$ $twice$ $as$ $long$ $as$ $treo600$.
    I was saying that fitaly requires two hands and doesn't give you any feedback when you input a letter. That's not very useful. I can type on my Treo without looking at it (raised bump on the "f"). I'd post my fitaly score, but appears they didn't update the app for PalmOS 5 and doesn't work.

I didn't say that PPC can't play standard codecs. ASAIK, there is no open codec that Treo or PPC can't play. I said that I don't to do some DJ audio mixing stuff that it seemed you were talking about on my cell phone. Has anyone ever had this need?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo

Excellent link (more accurrate is http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebo...4_archive.html). It doesn't look so great for Palm, but it's better than the MS ones and they do have a solid 2nd place share. For reasons, I noted before, I don't consider Nokia's phones smart. Other people can and that's fine, it might just be my ignorance on Symbian's OS. In any event I don't think I've seen a Nokia with a touchscreen which is a big difference maker in my opinion to being a smart phone.

And one more thing to remember is that Palm really only focuses on the US market. If you go to a store in Italy, I think the number of Nokia handhelds in the store will outplace Palm ones by at least 9-1. However if you pick just one Nokia model number, I bet that Treo 600 competes with that quite well. Nokia is selling Honda Accords and Toyota Camry's, pretty much a generic device that will suit most people's needs. There's not a Nokia that can compete with Treo on features.
    Excellent link (more accurrate is http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebo...4_archive.html). It doesn't look so great for Palm, but it's better than the MS ones and they do have a solid 2nd place share. For reasons, I noted before, I don't consider Nokia's phones smart. Other people can and that's fine, it might just be my ignorance on Symbian's OS. In any event I don't think I've seen a Nokia with a touchscreen which is a big difference maker in my opinion to being a smart phone.

And one more thing to remember is that Palm really only focuses on the US market. If you go to a store in Italy, I think the number of Nokia handhelds in the store will outplace Palm ones by at least 9-1. However if you pick just one Nokia model number, I bet that Treo 600 competes with that quite well. Nokia is selling Honda Accords and Toyota Camry's, pretty much a generic device that will suit most people's needs. There's not a Nokia that can compete with Treo on features.
    blaaah blaaah blaaahhhh.....

here is the latest number. By Operating system. Symbian vs. MS vs. POS.

Q2 '04
    http://www.canalys.com/pr/2004/r2004081.htm

oh look, Microsoft beats POS for the first time after enarly matching last year this time.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    NPD only tracks US retail store, not global marketshare. see the joke yet?
    Palmone sells about as much smartphone in a quarter as Nokia sell in half a day globally.

Porsche sells a fraction of what GM sell globally but has a vastly superior product. Of course logic like that will not register with you.

Further you compare TReos with PDAs. Treo is NOT a PDA...it is a smartphone. Tests and sales have proved that smartphone users want a keypads and in the case of the treo...they want thumbpads too. I guess thats why MOTO has jumped on the thumbpad band wagon too.
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex
    Porsche sells a fraction of what GM sell globally but has a vastly superior product. Of course logic like that will not register with you.

Further you compare TReos with PDAs. Treo is NOT a PDA...it is a smartphone. Tests and sales have proved that smartphone users want a keypads and in the case of the treo...they want thumbpads too. I guess thats why MOTO has jumped on the thumbpad band wagon too.
    damned right treo is not a PDA. It's an organizer phone.
    I was saying that fitaly requires two hands and doesn't give you any feedback when you input a letter. That's not very useful. I can type on my Treo without looking at it (raised bump on the "f"). I'd post my fitaly score, but appears they didn't update the app for PalmOS 5 and doesn't work.
    obviously treo user has been so deep in it, they believe anything despite being point out a software to emasure input speed.

1. fitaly has a software that emasure input speed
    2. treo600 has NOT been recorded anywhere near top 20 (ie. the usefullness as an input method is a MYTH)

I didn't say that PPC can't play standard codecs. ASAIK, there is no open codec that Treo or PPC can't play. I said that I don't to do some DJ audio mixing stuff that it seemed you were talking about on my cell phone. Has anyone ever had this need?
    I don't know, why would anybody need anything?
    @ suskind

what in god's green earth are you here if all you do is talk smack?

Wouldn't it make more sense to go somewhere and be with those of a similar mindset as you?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I dont know if anybody saw this but...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...pcworld/117648
    uhm, rimm client for PPC maybe?
    plus microsoft is providing exchange server hook for PPC soon.

treo is catching up? catching up what exactly?
    Wait, you are telling me that Microsoft hasn't made their software work with their own software? That's the most incredible display of incompetence I've ever heard! It would be like if Blackberry's didn't work with Blackberry Enterprise Server.

Treo is catching up to Rim in being deployed in corporate settings. Never heard of a corporation giving it's workers PPC phones
    if you show me non p1 press release global number. I'll show you my number.
    How is that?

you can call it a ferrari or porsche it's still POS.
    That press release was independantly run. Who cares about global numbers? Sample size of PPC's home country (and the one I'm in, so that's important) is all that matters. Everyone competes on the same level and Palm wins. I at least showed something, you just write and say it's so, backing up none of your claims.
    Looks like Windows for Devices says that only Nokia wins because it has more types out there to appeal to more people. In the US, Treo 600 is #1 against all Nokia smartphones. One phone against a whole line. It's like Porshe 911 outselling all of Honda's cars total. Unbelievable.
    http://www.windowsfordevices.com/art...335151181.html
    damned right treo is not a PDA. It's an organizer phone.
    An organizer phone couldn't play videos, mp3s, replace a remote control, log into my servers at work over SSH or any of the hundreds of things that a laptop or desktop does. Organizer phone doesn't have touch screen. You have to remember that Treo evolved from the PDA not from a phone like Symbian.
    I wouldn't bother arguing any more bmacfarland. You are obviously having a battle of wits with someone that is completely unarmed.

Suskind: Are you such a small person that it makes you feel good to come to a fan site for the Treo and put it down? If this what you like to spend your time on? Does it bring you somekind of joy or fill some kind of void in your life?

If you don't like the Treo...feel free to take off. I don't think anyone wants to hear your BS any more. Your point (and opinion) has been made. So we will have to agree to disagree. If you like PPC so much...go find a PPC board and spew all over that.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    My understanding is, the Treo is in a different category. Communicators have a keyboard, smartphones do not. IMO the Treo 600 is competing with Pocket PC phones and Nokia 9500's (series 80 user interface), not MS Smartphones and Nokia series 60 smartphones.

http://www.mobile-review.com/article...story-en.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    I wouldn't bother arguing any more bmacfarland. You are obviously having a battle of wits with someone that is completely unarmed.
    Yeah, I was just bored, figured I'd feed the troll a little bit. I still might, depending on my schedule for the next couple of days.
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    @ suskind

what in god's green earth are you here if all you do is talk smack?

Wouldn't it make more sense to go somewhere and be with those of a similar mindset as you?

i'm sure he is jerking off as he types.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast