Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    How does this Magician model compare to 650, not 600? 600 is at EOL, so it is not a valid comparison.

And the number of models available doesn't always mean a better product. GM has far more models than Porsche, but it is hard to argue that GM makes better cars.
    Both quad bands, both has SD/BT.

one has 400mHz, QVGA and multitasking
    palm has old 5.4, hi res and 350mhz.

Magician is basically XDAII in super small package and upgraded OS. The XDA IV is rumored to have new small VGA screen with dual wireless.

you may think treo600 is a porsche, but it's just a volkswagen in shinier chasis next to aston martin. It's all look and shiny buttons, but doesn't perform.
    here's some treo competition - a new blackberry device:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=969048863851
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    Palm does have PDA's that use grafitti, but the Treo line has, and probably always will have the thumboard. RIM is the same way. Companies using MS OS haven't sold the thumboard well because the OS wasn't designed to use a keyboard (maybe newest release does) and most of the early implementations sucked (Hitachi G1000 reviews stated the thumboard was a kluge and it was clear the PPC OS wasn't designed for it). Palm has optimized the Treo's software for both the thumboard and the 5 way nav. Rarely use my stylus.
    -Palm doesn't have any PDA with HWR capability period. (high end clie went bust) Flexible soft input wont' be an integral part of OS until 6.0. Till then POS will be stuck with grafitti or thumbpad.

-Treo thumboard is pure marketing gimmick. It has reached the point of being impractically small for average male thumb. As of now it's purely for those 'execs' who wants to look cool, but ask them the type a short SMS message to a friend, they'll fumble for 10 minutes to get it done, let alone email.

-Is thumboard in treo600 practical?
    go test it out yourself and see how practical that thing is.
    http://www.fitaly.com/domperignon/domperignon3.htm

Since I doubt you have ever used a Treo 600, I doubt you are qualified to give opinions on how functional the input is. I hate T9, and stylus input. PPC has its place as a flashy, multimedia based OS and does web browsing and multimedia better. However, their phone implementations have not been that good and are not as stable as the Palm OS (then again stable OS platforms never were M$'s strong point). Palm is a purpose built PDA OS that plays my MP3's, OGG, and WAV files just fine, and I have never had to a reset on my phone after almost a year of usage. M$ couldn't even get data syncronized with Outlook as good as Palm for some time and they wrote the OS.
    -T9? huh? Magician doesn't even have a numpad. lol.

-PPC can do audio when palm was still all beep and bleep. Can your treo do multi channel audio mixing yet? standard codecs are so two years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebueb
    here's some treo competition - a new blackberry device:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=969048863851
    The charm won't have thumbpad btw. It'll have multi-press numpad.
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1512964652917275/

So much for the holy thumbpad myth. Hey what do blackberry knows right? They only beat Palmone shipment twice over.
    -Treo thumboard is pure marketing gimmick. It has reached the point of being impractically small for average male thumb. As of now it's purely for those 'execs' who wants to look cool, but ask them the type a short SMS message to a friend, they'll fumble for 10 minutes to get it done, let alone email.

Wow, and all this time I thought it was one of the main attractions of the Treo 600 and now you clear it up by saying it's only a gimmick.

-Rob600
    (10 month T600 user who lives by the KB & 5way...previously used PPC and was unable to find any useful text input method (including fitaly))
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo__baggins
    With PPC and Symbian smartphones popping up all over the place PalmOne need to pull their fingers out before they lose their momentum, otherwise before they know it they'll be left in the dust. Currently it's the Treo 600 versus everyone else - just the sheer number of PPC and symbian phones is going to make the Treo look outnumbered.

Come on PalmOne - get the Treo 650 shipping NOW and get working on the next model.
    Well there's only one shipping Treo now. Even if Palm was going to come out with Treo 650 tomorrow, they'd still lack the shear number of phones that Motorola and Nokia put out. No matter what Palm does they are going to be outnumbered, the best thing they can do is position themselves to have the best selling model of all of them, IMO. You can't please everyone with one device.
    I guess all the people using Treos and Blackberries are all just victims of a marketing gimmic. Get a grip...you really don't know what you are talking about. Yet you continue to make yourself look ignorant post after post.
    Oh crap, I re-read suskind's post...how did I miss the obvious PPC troll? Why do PPC people feel the need to come toss our thier crap here, don't they have alarms to miss?
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    NPD only tracks US retail store, not global marketshare. see the joke yet?
    Palmone sells about as much smartphone in a quarter as Nokia sell in half a day globally.
    Global marketshare is dependant on advertising to great degree. Cost of Palm devices is too high in some foreign countries for the average consumer. Nokia doesn't even count as a smartphone in my opinion until they come out with a PDA. Yeah, I know you'll get on me on that. But what defines an OS? Does the blackberry or sidekick have an OS? I think it's every bit as good as Symbian. Palm and PPC are a level above. I don't know if I can put my figure on why, but they just are. I think it's because they had an installed software base with the PDA market and you can (and expected to) install 3rd party software.

So all that said, Nokia gives phones away for free all the time. It's easy to lead in market share when you give away your product for free. How are Nokia's $599 (US) models selling compared to Palm? Oh and Treo 600 is just one model of a smartphone and it outsells ALL models of PPC and Symbian in US? Wow.
    I guess ALL (that's right every one) the national carriers are all fools to. All suckered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob600
    Wow, and all this time I thought it was one of the main attractions of the Treo 600 and now you clear it up by saying it's only a gimmick.

-Rob600
    (10 month T600 user who lives by the KB & 5way...previously used PPC and was unable to find any useful text input method (including fitaly))
    load up the fitaly speed test and come back with your test number. If you can reach top 10-15, then it's practical, otherwise....

well you know what's the relative usefullness...
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Global marketshare is dependant on advertising to great degree. Cost of Palm devices is too high in some foreign countries for the average consumer. Nokia doesn't even count as a smartphone in my opinion until they come out with a PDA. Yeah, I know you'll get on me on that. But what defines an OS? Does the blackberry or sidekick have an OS? I think it's every bit as good as Symbian. Palm and PPC are a level above. I don't know if I can put my figure on why, but they just are. I think it's because they had an installed software base with the PDA market and you can (and expected to) install 3rd party software.

So all that said, Nokia gives phones away for free all the time. It's easy to lead in market share when you give away your product for free. How are Nokia's $599 (US) models selling compared to Palm? Oh and Treo 600 is just one model of a smartphone and it outsells ALL models of PPC and Symbian in US? Wow.
    excuse, excuse...
    jees, the parsing is worst than condi'stestimony. Next thing we know we'll discuss what's historical and what's strategy vs. set of options.

Here is the global rank for smartphone:
    1. Nokia
    2. SE
    3. RIMM
    4. MS smartphones
    5. POS
    6. PPCPE

and PS. I think SE p900 beats treo600 in the US, but don't know for sure.
    -Palm doesn't have any PDA with HWR capability period. (high end clie went bust) Flexible soft input wont' be an integral part of OS until 6.0. Till then POS will be stuck with grafitti or thumbpad.

-T9? huh? Magician doesn't even have a numpad. lol.

-PPC can do audio when palm was still all beep and bleep. Can your treo do multi channel audio mixing yet? standard codecs are so two years ago.
    I'd rather be "stuck" with graffiti any day. PPC HWR can't understand what I write, graffiti can. Still prefer thumbboard though, never seen it get it wrong.

Umm looks like the top score is the Treo. Plus you try input with a stylus with one hand and I'll use one hand on a Treo. I'd clearly win. So faster with two hands, faster with one, good gimmack.

Ouch not even a numpad? Why would anyone buy this again? It's called feedback and it's what makes buttons useful. You don't see people typing on their laptop or desktop on an LCD keyboard. Probably the reason is lack of feedback.

Doesn't matter what PPC could do years ago. WinCE years ago threw everything they could and no one bought them because their PDAs were too expensive, too big, and ran out of battery in just a couple of hours. Who needs multichannel audio mixing? Am I going to be DJing from my cell phone, no. Is anyone, no?
    So much for the holy thumbpad myth. Hey what do blackberry knows right? They only beat Palmone shipment twice over.
    It's easy to get market share when you have server technology that's not open to all. Microsoft would know all about that, though. People wouldn't by Blackberries if it wasn't the only device that works with Blackberry Enterprise Server. Treo is catching up, but it's tough to make in-roads in that market. At least they are, which is something that PPC isn't doing. What PPC do people carry with them to stay connected to e-mail at all times? Oh, ummm none.
    load up the fitaly speed test and come back with your test number. If you can reach top 10-15, then it's practical, otherwise....

well you know what's the relative usefullness...
    Not everyone has time to learn Fitaly. There's no learning curve for thumbboard. I don't think you can expect anyone to rank in the 10-15 to prove practicalness. I can swim, but I'm not in the top 10-15 in the world, but I still get to point A and B well enough. The test itself is biased towards Fitality users. It's just too bad the best is a Treo
    excuse, excuse...
    jees, the parsing is worst than condi'stestimony. Next thing we know we'll discuss what's historical and what's strategy vs. set of options.

Here is the global rank for smartphone:
    1. Nokia
    2. SE
    3. RIMM
    4. MS smartphones
    5. POS
    6. PPCPE

and PS. I think SE p900 beats treo600 in the US, but don't know for sure.
    Where's your source? And not that I doubt your ranking, I'd like to see you back it up with something as I did (an independant source). Once again compare apples to apples. Nokia's devices are cheap or free like a Kia (though I wish Kia's were free). Ditto for SE. Treo's devices are priced in the Ferrari range, there's no chance it can keep up marketshare. I doubt MS smartphones pass PalmOS. I really need proof for that one.
    --Is thumboard in treo600 practical?

Perhaps you should have read what I wrote. I have used the Treo 600 since October of 2003 and the thumboard is very practical and I know I could input text quicker than any text recognition software.

I also said that PPC has better multimedia capabilities, but I am not only buying a PDA, I am buying a converged device and most reviewers agree with my opinion that the Treo is the best converged device available.
    I'd rather be "stuck" with graffiti any day. PPC HWR can't understand what I write, graffiti can. Still prefer thumbboard though, never seen it get it wrong.

Umm looks like the top score is the Treo. Plus you try input with a stylus with one hand and I'll use one hand on a Treo. I'd clearly win. So faster with two hands, faster with one, good gimmack.
    uhm, it's the gigantic treo. nobody has entered the treo600 key. (and surprisingly nobody has post a score yet so far...wonder why)

Ouch not even a numpad? Why would anyone buy this again? It's called feedback and it's what makes buttons useful. You don't see people typing on their laptop or desktop on an LCD keyboard. Probably the reason is lack of feedback.
    afaikafaikafaik, $fitaly$ $number$ $on$ $PPC$ $still$ $kicks$ ***. $so$ $I$ $am$ $not$ $sure$ $what$ $you$ $are$ $talking$ $about$. $Show$ $treo$ $600$ $number$ $for$ $keyboard$ $then$ $we$'$ll$ $talk$.

Doesn't matter what PPC could do years ago. WinCE years ago threw everything they could and no one bought them because their PDAs were too expensive, too big, and ran out of battery in just a couple of hours. Who needs multichannel audio mixing? Am I going to be DJing from my cell phone, no. Is anyone, no?
    you mean PPC can't play standard codecs? been there done that. lol. treo can't even play .mpg4 without crashing. so please...

PS. afaikafaikafaik, $h6300$ $battery$ $performance$ $is$ $twice$ $as$ $long$ $as$ $treo600$.
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    Perhaps you should have read what I wrote. I have used the Treo 600 since October of 2003 and the thumboard is very practical and I know I could input text quicker than any text recognition software.

I also said that PPC has better multimedia capabilities, but I am not only buying a PDA, I am buying a converged device and most reviewers agree with my opinion that the Treo is the best converged device available.
    *yawn*

show the number.
    there is a wpm input speed test you can download from that site.
    It's easy to get market share when you have server technology that's not open to all. Microsoft would know all about that, though. People wouldn't by Blackberries if it wasn't the only device that works with Blackberry Enterprise Server. Treo is catching up, but it's tough to make in-roads in that market. At least they are, which is something that PPC isn't doing. What PPC do people carry with them to stay connected to e-mail at all times? Oh, ummm none.
    uhm, rimm client for PPC maybe?
    plus microsoft is providing exchange server hook for PPC soon.

treo is catching up? catching up what exactly?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast