1.    #1  
    Okay, that's not really the absolute truth (or even close to it). However it does look like it will support wi-fi and VOIP to other Nintendo DS. Imagine making a call from a wiFi access point. If only my next phone could do such a thing.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08...s_6106106.html
    Any idea what os the DS and the Sony PSP will use?
  3.    #3  
    No clue. I don't even know what OS the game machines use now, except for the Xbox. I was mostly just getting off my chest that game machines will be able to make make wifi phone calls and we might not with the Treo 650. Wouldn't you think it might be the other way around?
    Uh, why exactly do you need to make a WiFi phone call when you're standing there with a PHONE in your hand?
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Because its free! I use it to call brother in UK when I am in Australia!
    It's hard to argue that having VOIP is not cool, I think it is. However, I see the Nintendo DS as an *addition* to my cellphone (gaming sucks on the phone, compared to a Portable Console), rather than a replacement. The functions of both devices are so different that I don't see why we would compare them. If I had to have only one, I'll choose the Treo anytime because of the voice.

About Wifi and VOIP, it's not quite impossible, but someone has to come up with an ultra-low power Wifi SD that would work on the Treo SD Slot. So far, there's no sign of it.
    I have heard that the VoIP capabilities of the DS might not be everything that people think they are. For instance, you might just be able to talk to other DS's. Also, with cell phone plans that include a generous amount of minutes (my plan with sprint is 2000 minutes for 90$ which my family shares) as well as free long distance this isn't so important.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    I thought the DS was the next gameboy. I thought that DS was for Dual Screen? I think I saw one/info on in Taiwan when I was there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    I thought the DS was the next gameboy.
    Technically, the Nintendo DS is the "first DS," not the next Game Boy. Functionally, yes, it's a Game Boy with two screens, but Nintendo says they are releasing it as a third product line, accompanying the Game Boy and the Gamecube.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mwylde
    I have heard that the VoIP capabilities of the DS might not be everything that people think they are. For instance, you might just be able to talk to other DS's. Also, with cell phone plans that include a generous amount of minutes (my plan with sprint is 2000 minutes for 90$ which my family shares) as well as free long distance this isn't so important.
    I'm sure that it only talk to other Nintendo DS's just like I can play my friends in John Madden Football anywhere in the US and use the headset to talk to them for free. The point is that they allow, albeit primitively, VOIP while it appears that the Treo 650 will not. And yes, I just started this thread out of frustration for lack of wifi.

As for reasons to have VOIP, it would be great if I could receive calls to my home wherever I happen to be. If I had Vonage and they made a VOIP client (which I think they've announced), I'd be all set.

Sometimes you have to look beyond the obvious things. Instead of saying, "why would anyone want to do that?" Say, "hmmm that could be interesting." It's that kind of "Why would anyone want to do that?" that would have stopped Card Export from being made. (I still maintain it's easier, cheaper, and better to carry a USB 2.0 card reader on your keychain, but others have found that Card Export does some extra stuff for them.)
    Quote Originally Posted by snerdy
    Technically, the Nintendo DS is the "first DS," not the next Game Boy. Functionally, yes, it's a Game Boy with two screens, but Nintendo says they are releasing it as a third product line, accompanying the Game Boy and the Gamecube.
    Thanks Snerdy! So not an evolution, but an whole new animal. Looks neat.
    the only reason voip will be useful on a treo is if u r in a foreign country and want to make/receive calls to the USA/home country. I was in china two weeks ago and tmo charged me three USD a minute! bill was friggin 375! now if I had voip...
    I've used VOIP on my tablet PC using the EV-DO card in it. Works very well, but it's impractical as a phone (have to plan calls or email someone to set up a call, requires a headset, etc). While the Nintendo DS might look like a new communications revolution, finding a continuous, free, worldwide, wireless connection is far from reality.
    VoIP is killer feature for cheap international calls. Wish the Ace had wifi functionality for this reason...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Did anyone see a Nintendo DS make a VOIP call to a regular phone # ?
    It could be only VOIP for networked games.

I would be interested to see a link to something official on the subject.