1.    #1  
    is that a WINDOWS icon??

thought I'd share this with the folks here...

http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/...os_2004620.asp
    looks ugly as hell
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    lol i'd love one of those for camping...
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    looks ugly as hell
    It's not ugly, it's rugged! :-)

Well, all kidding aside, that really is the point. Encase 6 ounces of delicate electronics in enough metal and rubber, and it'll survive desert conditions, being run over by a truck, and more. Sure it's ugly, but I doubt we're trying to win battles by impressing the enemy with our flashy new toys.

As for Windows, I think it's mostly due to the limitations of the Palm OS vs. those of Pocket PC. While the Palm does just what I need it to do, and it's fairly reliable with all the crap I throw onto it, Windows becomes much more stable when the user can't muck with it. I doubt that they're letting soldiers install games and such on the CDA. With enough control, even Windows can be stable.
    do you think they use a lanyard with that thing? and maybe even a Hello Kitty keychain attached to it?
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    they're sending Windows to Iraq....as if Bush wasn't stupid enough...
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintTreo600
    they're sending Windows to Iraq....as if Bush wasn't stupid enough...
    i think someone in the PDA design department went - "c'mon - don't be a PDA girly-man!"
    why do some people feel the need to turn all the threads into political debates?
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgarza
    why do some people feel the need to turn all the threads into political debates?
    don't be a forum girly-man!
    actually... i'll see if i can dig up the article... but- there is a small blurb in wired last month or the month before about a rugged laptop that was being used by someone in field artillery i believe that saved his life. while on the move, the laptop was stowed in a backpack... the unit came under fire and the laptop took a direct hit from a 7.62... the bullet was stopped by the protective casing on the lcd screen, saving the soldier's life... the best part- the data was recovered! the rest of the case didn't look so hot though...

call me a girly man all you want for wanting rugged computers... i'll be the living girly man with all his body parts free from bullet holes...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    i just said it cus i love the word "girly man". it's so sexist and obtuse and only a moron like arnie could get away with saying that hahah.
    i agree... girly man is a very obtuse... but yet so descriptive.... whenever you see it you think of aaahnold saying it... so it makes me giggle...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    the picture in wired was cooler... it was of the laptop sitting with the screen open almost ready to be used with the bullet still impaled in the screen and the keyboard mashed up from the little shrapnel there was
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800