Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    On today’s engadget is mention of an FCC filing for a verizon Treo competitor with EV-DO, PocketPC OS, and a slide out keyboard. This device has been mentioned here before, but not, I believe, with reference to EV-DO. Looks tempting. While, I’d much prefer an EV-DO Treo, this one seems more appealing to me than any Treo without EV-DO. The combination of a large screen with a workable keyboard design is also an advantage IMO.

From the engadget site at www.engadget.com:
    We’d all thought that Sprint was going to be the first US carrier to offer Daxian’s sweet new CU928 Pocket PC Phone (you know, the one that slides open to reveal a small QWERTY keyboard and has a 400MHz processor, Bluetooth, 128MB of RAM, and a built-in VGA quality digital camera) but at least according to some FCC filings it looks like it’s going to be Verizon (the logo is a dead giveaway). The icing on the cake: the phone is compatible with the new high-speed EV-DO network Verizon is building, though there’s no indication when it might go on sale or how much it’ll cost (we’re guessing a lot)
    It's not there. did they pull it?
  3. DDD
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbehringer
    It's not there. did they pull it?
    Engadget's site is a blog where they keep adding stuff and periodically move the older stuff to another page.

At the bottom of the site is a link for "next page". If you click it, as of this writing, you'll find it on that next page. In a day or so you'll have to cycle through a few "Next page" clicks to find it. It will probably be moved to their archives in a week or two, where it will still be possible to locate it with some effort.

Pete
    looks sweet! it is unfortunately a pocket pc device. this may convert alot of palm users. i hope palmone has their stuff in line, they could loose some market share....
    Yeah, the sweet thing about EV-DO for me isn't the data speed, it's having your phone ring while you're in a data session.
    could be out for sprint too.

http://www.mtekk.com.au/browse/page764.html
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    This is the device a lot of ppl have been waiting for... sometime this month Sprint is going to announce it/release it. Possibly late August/early Sept to compete with 1.) HP 6315 (t mobile gsm/wifi/bluetooth ppc) and 2.) Verizon's XDA III. the same version of the XDA III, also known as the MDA III on t mobile (and gsm carriers) is also going to be similar to Sprints version (daxian cu928 or htc ppc 6600). supposedly a non camera version is coming out first...followed by a camera version 2 months later. whats interesting to note is that yes, specs are EVDO, gsm models were originally going to have wifi while the cdma versions had bluetooth. now it looks like the gsm versions will have wifi and bluetooth. nice thing about it is that very soon wifi won't matter much when EVDO speeds start increasing dramatically. nothing really compares to me being able to browse on the treo while driving or when i'm not near a wifi spot. NICE thing about the daxian/mdaIII is a removeable 1490 battery! has a 3.5 inch screen too, 320x240, runs windows phone edition second edition and has landscape mode (very nice). camera is stinky .3 megapixel but they may change this (i wouldn't bet on it though) 128 MB ram 64 rom...yes that's right! palm better step it up to at LEAST 64mb.
    interesting to note... it's been rumored there will be 2 EVDO phones from sprint this year... this is #1..... could treo 650/ace be #2? my crystal ball says yes
    btw the fcc has already approved the device for verizon - the question is now... when will sprint bring it? this is a device that is almost TASTY enough to switch carriers for - especially with those specs. here's to me hoping sprint releases it in the next month.

for those of you to care, i've posted the fcc approval specs
    https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/c...d=224199&fcc_i

you can check out SAR reports too - i believe they are smaller than 600 when held next to head
    Last edited by sledgie; 08/12/2004 at 01:12 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by 155
    Yeah, the sweet thing about EV-DO for me isn't the data speed, it's having your phone ring while you're in a data session.
    I hear you on the Phone availability issue, but really how can you not be excited by a data connection thats about 5 times faster?

I'd expect to use this for internet access much more frequently. Seems to me that the faster the data connection, the greater my willingness to pop it out for any quick web lookup. I access the internet fairly frequently, but I'd expect my usage will go way way up. I'm also guessing this will be true for most other users as well. Not so for you?

Pete
    if sprint brings this out...i think i'll drop the treo600/ace for this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete_L_P
    I hear you on the Phone availability issue, but really how can you not be excited by a data connection thats about 5 times faster?

I'd expect to use this for internet access much more frequently. Seems to me that the faster the data connection, the greater my willingness to pop it out for any quick web lookup. I access the internet fairly frequently, but I'd expect my usage will go way way up. I'm also guessing this will be true for most other users as well. Not so for you?

Pete
    I had an axim w/ wifi before the treo and hardly ever used it to surf the web. I think it's cause the display is icky. If they came out with a vga res display I'd use the web a lot I think

I mostly use vision for e-mail and im's that happen in the background but don't let me receive phone calls.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah
    if sprint brings this out...i think i'll drop the treo600/ace for this one.
    Same, with one qualification. I'd hold off for a couple of months (at most), if I really knew an EV-DO Treo were on the way.

Pete
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    yep... that's the rumor...take it for what it's worth (and please don't bite my head off) but sprint is going to release 2 EVDO phones this year... daxian/htc/curitel 6600/6601 (non camera/camera) will be 1 of them... i highly doubt the Blackberry to be released will be EVDO - no real reason imo, so this leaves room for another highly data phone to use EVDO - my money is on PalmOne's Treo Ace/650. However, if they only keep 32mb ram... sledgie may have to give Bill Gates his money. No one wants to give info on their release dates because of the competition's phones/specs - tmobile/verizon/sprint. 2 weeks after they announce the release of the phone is my guess of when it will begin showing up/shipping. All bets are on Treo to get EVDO - otherwise i see a lot of ppl switching from PalmOS to PPC
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete_L_P
    Same, with one qualification. I'd hold off for a couple of months (at most), if I really knew an EV-DO Treo were on the way.

Pete
    Yeah, the network has to be in place too. I'm sure they'll have devices before they have network.
    Isn't EV-DO limited to just a few cities? how long for it to move to all major cities? then to us Rural folks.. Years?
    Quote Originally Posted by mbehringer
    Isn't EV-DO limited to just a few cities? how long for it to move to all major cities? then to us Rural folks.. Years?

I think this question might be better answered on HowardForums in either the Sprint or Verizon section (whatever your interested in) I don't think it'll be more than two years for everyone. I'm in Chicago and not too worried. Prolly less than that.
    It's still bigger than a Treo or Treo ACE though.
    Quote Originally Posted by 155
    I think this question might be better answered on HowardForums in either the Sprint or Verizon section (whatever your interested in) I don't think it'll be more than two years for everyone. I'm in Chicago and not too worried. Prolly less than that.
    No need for sifting through HF. Here's the word: http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/08/02/HNevdo_1.html
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    I am not sure how well the flush keyboard will do. I like the rounded keys on the T600 and the slider form factor will not afford that luxury
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    yep... that's the rumor...take it for what it's worth (and please don't bite my head off) but sprint is going to release 2 EVDO phones this year... daxian/htc/curitel 6600/6601 (non camera/camera) will be 1 of them... i highly doubt the Blackberry to be released will be EVDO - no real reason imo, so this leaves room for another highly data phone to use EVDO - my money is on PalmOne's Treo Ace/650. However, if they only keep 32mb ram... sledgie may have to give Bill Gates his money. No one wants to give info on their release dates because of the competition's phones/specs - tmobile/verizon/sprint. 2 weeks after they announce the release of the phone is my guess of when it will begin showing up/shipping. All bets are on Treo to get EVDO - otherwise i see a lot of ppl switching from PalmOS to PPC
    A few points. There are conflicting reports/rumors on whether the Daxian CU928 will have integrated wifi similar to it's XDAIII cousin. If so, then there won't be that much the Cu928 will have over the Ace especially if they both have 1xEvDo. The Ace will have a higher rez screen, better cam, and smaller form factor.

Secondly regarding the rumored 32 MB of ram on the Ace: I too would be disappointed by this but would welcome the addition of automatic ram backups if reports of M-system NAND based flash integrated into the Ace are true. Secondly, this would further make sense if the Ace is going to have a replaceable battery, and hence the file store backup would become essential...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast