1.    #1  
    Is anyone else making Palm OS5 smartphones? outside of PalmOne?

Is this of any concern?

It seems like the Treo is doing great in the market, but there appear to be quite a few more vendors of MS smartphones. Eventually that diversity will lead to a level of innovation that one company (PalmOne) can't match.

Thoughts?
    Other palm OS phones include samsung SPH range (i300, i500) and kyocera 7135.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast
    Those are OS4, I believe. To my knowledge (which may not be saying much), the Treo 600 is the only Palm OS5 smartphone on the market.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast
    But none of those are Palm OS5. They're all OS4.1 (i.e. OLD), including the 7135. I think Samsung's SGH i500 is OS5, but where is it? It hasn't ever REALLY been released in the U.S. as far as I've heard (correct me if I'm wrong). All the Palm OS5 smartphones from Samsung have been vaporware. And everything else they make runs either PocketPC or Symbian.

It's a valid concern.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    The message around Palm OS versions is somewhat muddied these days. I see Palm OS 5 as a lot more than just an OS upgrade - it was a new platform upgrade in the same way that the jump from OS 9 to OS X in Mac OS. Palm OS 5 runs on ARM processors and runs emulation mode for the older 68k applications that were written for Palm OS 4 and earlier.

One consequence of the big shift in Palm OS 5 and also the split of Palm Inc and PalmSource is that OS upgrades are effectively a thing of the past. First off the hardware platforms of old simply don't support Palm OS 5 and greater versions. Second off, no one sells OS upgrades any more. If anyone did, it would likely be PalmSource but can you imagine the problems with QAing all those hardware platforms now. It's got too complicated. It may be possible on Organizers were the OS is geberic but everyone is innovating their own portions - e.g. Sony's multimedia and launcher apps.