Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    If your so worrried about holding a clamshell phone to your head do something the Treo 600 can't do (as opposed to almost every other phone in and near its price range) USE BLUETOOTH.... :P

I switched to PPC recently got an imate (XDA II) and dumped my Treo 600 (which apparently has already died for the guy who bought it off me with speaker buzzing and is off to be replaced again under warranty) and although I had used Palm since the Palm Personal days I am actually loving PPC so many obvious standard features that were lacking in Palm. ie I can browse (explore) the device and memory card from the PC without buying Card Export, when I drop it in the cradle it uses the PCs Internet connection without me buying Softtick PPP (and hoping it works).... much better screen, wifi sd card support, BLUETOOTH suport (which blows the size debate out of the water as I never hold the phone to my ear).....

Not a huge fan of Microsoft myself, but PPC smart devices/phones are moving forward fast, and there are many innovative (or at least UP TO DATE) hardware makers on board, will Palm be crushed? I hope not but from what I have heard/seen the Treo 600 is helping them through seeming like a very well designed device, but also getting them a very bad name due to its return rate and pathetic Palm support. I never thought I would switch to PPC from Palm when the Ipaqs etc began, but it would take a LOT for me to return after only 3 weeks of using the Imate...
    If you already dumped your Treo, why are you still hanging out here? Did you forget something?
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Had a reply to another thread from another Treo 600 user wanting to know how the XDA 2 is going compared to the Treo as they are thinking of switching also.

Apart from that just curiousity I guess, funny seeing everyone defend how great the Treo is in one thread and complaining about their 4th warranty return in another!
    The MPx looks like a great smartphone and similar size to Treo 600 although I didn't realize how much thicker it is. Of course it should really be compared the Treo Ace as the MPx isn't officially available and all the reviews are of engineering samples. Treo 600 has been out almost 12mths.

Should be interesting to see this and other PPC equivalents like the Benq P50. They would have to be nimbler than current PPCs to make me switch from my Treo 600.

Also from the rumours the MPx will be US$100-US$200 more expensive on outright purchase compared to Treo Ace. Again guess we'll have to wait for official release pricing for both.

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Last edited by VikingBrad; 08/01/2004 at 08:23 PM. Reason: added price comparison
    Google translation of French article on Mpx

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    Had a reply to another thread from another Treo 600 user wanting to know how the XDA 2 is going compared to the Treo as they are thinking of switching also.

Apart from that just curiousity I guess, funny seeing everyone defend how great the Treo is in one thread and complaining about their 4th warranty return in another!
    I passed judgment too quick.

You're right, this MPX could be a Treo Killer. It might even include the recently announced iTunes music player? Palm One better come out with a similar device. Fast!
    Last edited by Treo Rat; 08/01/2004 at 09:06 PM.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    More amusing observation from diehard POS user. Zodiac is not big, in fact it's comfortable. MPX is huge! it's so big it's unusable. heh... talking about schizoprenic.

have more pictures. (17 pages of mpx pictures. enjoy!)
    http://www.mobinaute.com/photos/view...rolaMPX&page=1
  8.    #28  
    MPx...

Requires 2 hands to fully use...period
    Awful battery life
    Keyboard looks great but the keys are very slick and hard to type on
    Crappy memory arrangement

But...
    Excellent 802.11 implementation
    Gorgeous screen
    Decent megapixel camera
    Size (This doesn't mean formfactor, but size is excellent)

I've owned it for three weeks or so and while it is a sweet looking device, I never used it as my primary PDA/Phone. The version I have is supposedly final hardware but Moto is supposedly tweaking the rom quite a bit. I just bought a gsm treo a few days ago and love it. Of all the pda phones why did i come back to the treo? Great size, great formfactor, nice keyboard and for an overall good pda/phone that is solid...it's hard to beat the Treo. After using an XDA II, P900, and the MPx...only the Treo is left. All of the others are sold or up for sale I'am going to try the MPx again when it's available on the market later this year. Hopefully the bugs and memory issues will be resolved compared to my engineering sample. What's funny though is seeing people ***** and moan about the MPx, yet have never picked up one much less use it. For those of you that want to see more MPx action, you can check out this little video I made for the howard forums.

http://idisk.mac.com/blakebowden/Public/mpx.mp4

Bottom line....if you have a Pxxx, MPx, XDA, XDA II, Treo 600 or similar...they're all kick ***. I've owned every single one listed and although none are perfect, they are all sweet machines. Still, if you think about how long the P800 or the Treo 600 has been out...they still hold up well!
    Last edited by AfroCreame; 08/02/2004 at 01:16 AM.

P800->Treo 600->P900->XDA II->P900->MPx->Treo 600->iPaq 6315->MDA III->i-Mate PDA2k->o2 XDA IIs & o2 XDA II Mini
    Warning thats a 33MB file

I had a look and it was nice to see it in action. I would like to have seen taking and making a phone call and using the device at the same time. The MPx suffers a bit from having to use the touchscreen with stylus or thumbnail because it was not possible or convenient to do with the keyboard. Treo doesn't really have that due to the way the Palm OS works so you click the Phone app and not worry about closing running apps.

The MPx does look sweet though not enough for me to make the switch but heading in the right direction

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Very nice work, AfroCreame. This is one fancy device and your video captures it nicely. I have a very good sense of its size now seeing you working it in your hands and holding it next to a selection of devices. I got a kick out of seeing you illustrate 90 percent of it through thumb dexterity. (What stylus? I don't need no stinkin' stylus.) Thanks for sharing this.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    that is one nice looking phone.

on howards forums, there was a big stink on how much memory is left to run programs on it.

i like the double flip concept, but i bet i could do everything faster on the treo. look up someone, launch a program. if only because you dont have to open it.

it doesn't look pocketable, like the treo.

in the video, why all the tapping with the finger? yeah, i still do this with the treo, but usually only in agendus.

does it still have the habit of other ms phone of showing who called after you picked up?

the video resolution just makes me want the ACE even more. with the toolbar and taskbar always up, how much viewable area is left?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    check out Brighthand - the MPx has been delayed, it seems. I started another thread on that little tidbit of info...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12